Michael Nielsen (Big Hairy Guitars ) Ask Me Anything?

@bhg

I'm now selling my fractal to get a GREAT combo amp. I'm torn between mezzabarba skill30 and soldano astro20. I have been playing last 20 years modellers and plugins. I bought a boss gt8 (if I remember the number correctly) when they came out like 2002. Then went on to plugins and fractal. Last year I begun to think I love tubeamps, why not go back to tubes. I got into preamps and now own a few good ones, most recently got the mesa studio preamp. And now the question! I play in my bedroom in the evenings when there are other membets of the family next door to me...Is it possible to get a decent sound out of skill30 or astro20 at those levels? I know I can go from astro to daw silently and get the sound of the monitors, but the idea would be to play thru the combo's speaker. Skill30 has some kind of attentuator system also built in. What do you think, will I be disappointed if I'll get a great combo amp and play it master at 1? Reason I'm thinking of a combo is that I could use the fx receive to run my studio preamp. Now it's connected to my fractal fm3 and from there to active monitors.

Others may also give their opinnion!

Hi Michael, just count me as one of many who love your original compositions that accompany your videos. I'm curious, do you play bass on those recordings and do you midi program drums or just use prebuilt grooves? Also, I really would like to hear how you get rid of all the pick attack and transients in the recording? Your recorded lead lines always sound so smooth, I was wondering if you could shed any light on how you achieve this? Thank you so much for your time.

I did have a TwoNotes compatible pack but I think I only sold 2. haha It was kinda confusing that it was only for TwoNotes, and not a IR that works in many formats. It's much more straightforward going through the TwoNotes shop. I think. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hey Mike - if you only sold 2, I was one of them (the Vai cab pack). Love 'em!

And thanks for helping keep the 80's flame (and hair) alive. :cool:

Michael, your non Revv 120 video effing slays.
That intro song is ridiculously great. Epic.
And thanks for sharing the way you got the filter sounds, this was such a standout moment in the song.
I'm off rummaging through my pedal stash right now...

Last edited:
Back