Mesa Badlander

KingsXJJ

Roadie
Hey Folks,

I know a few folks here tried or bought the Mesa Badlander. I am specifically looking at the 25w combo.

I am interested opinions on all versions however. What was your assessment of the Badlander? Strengths? Weaknesses?

Did you keep it or sell it? If you used a head I am also interested in what spreakers you used with it as that certainly affects things. The combo has a Creamback 65 which is my favorite speaker (no speaker swap this tine!).

Lay it on me please! Especially JiveTurkey. Didn’t you have one Whiz? Anyone else too please!

P.S. I have a Mesa Mark V 25 head.

Thanks! J

Had the 50 forever. In my definition of forever, at least :rofl

Dry killer crunch. Seemed to saturate more with volume. Probably the quietest amp I have ever used. Took boost pedals really like no other. I loved it. I would in no way get a 25 watter, though. Mesa 50 watters aren't big sounding by any stretch and a 25 watt powered by el84s to me is a hard NO.

Dry killer crunch. Seemed to saturate more with volume. Probably the quietest amp I have ever used. Took boost pedals really like no other. I loved it. I would in no way get a 25 watter, though. Mesa 50 watters aren't big sounding by any stretch and a 25 watt powered by el84s to me is a hard NO.
Thank you Sir! I’ll take a look at the 50w. I found a killer deal on a new 25w combo though.,,

Thank you Sir! I’ll take a look at the 50w. I found a killer deal on a new 25w combo though.,,
I am allergic to el84s. So anytime I see them in a spec sheet; I am immediately put off. Whether or not that's actual evidence of them sucking to your ears is obviously another story :)

I have the 100 watt head and I play it through a Mesa horizontal 2x12 loaded with V30's, a Park Creamback 2x12, and a Marshall 6960B T75 loaded 4x12.

The 100 sounds massive, but the 50 would have been more practical.

Good luck with your search.

@JiveTurkey - You had the head right JT?

Got it! I use the sparingly. My Mark V is the only amp of mine that sports them.

Thanks for your input. I always appreciate it.., and your jokes. 😀

I’m hoping @paisleywookiee and @Whizzinby chime in as well!

I’ve only played a Badlander combo once at a shop, and for like two minutes. (I just remember it being a different thing then the traditional Dual Rec) I’m not your guy for a solid opinion on it. I’d love to kick the tires on one again though.

I’ve only played a Badlander combo once at a shop, and for like two minutes. (I just remember it being a different thing then the traditional Dual Rec) I’m not your guy for a solid opinion on it. I’d love to kick the tires on one again though.
Thanks Whizzinby! I had a 25 watt combo and tried a head. They were a little “loose” in the low end and I’ve heard the Badlander is tighter and a bit more modern and that appeals to me.

😎😉

Anyone know how it compares to the Msrk V!

A decent read on the basic differences between the two breeds.

I have no opinion on the Badlander - but as a owner of two EL84 25 watt Mesas I think Mesa did a good job of dialing in their 25 watt amps with those tubes. This is a good reference for how different (or not) they sound in the Mark variant:

That said, the 25's definitely don't have the same headroom so if you need the extra headroom and are going to be maxing out the amp disregard everything I said above :ROFLMAO:

Welp.., read a bit more on this and heard it compares to a higher gain JCM 800! In some ways. I love JCM’s and have always wished for a modern variant with higher gain. So I bought the damn thing. I know longer play live just at home.., jamming and recording so 25 watts will work fine. The inclusion of selectable and cudtomizable IR’s with and headphone fit in perfectly for that. Plus the stock Creamback is my favorite speaker and in all my cabs and amps with the exception of my Princeton and Deluxe so that’ll save me the time and money of a speaker swap.

MF has them for $1599 with an In basket discount for MF members and 6 months no interest. That’s a fairly high monthly payment and money’s a bit tight with four recent surgeries and a couple of hospital stays (in fact I in one of those stays now). So I called my pals at Sweetwater (love their service and support). They couldn’t do quite as well but I offer a 24 month warranty free and 0% for 24 months.., they offered it at $1689. So I pulled the trigger. Out of stock with a one month expected ETA.

MF had them in stock when I called earlier today.. but stock is running low quickly at that price. So if you have the $$$, are a member and/a MF card because you need the 6mo financing, now is the time to jump! Sadly, the 50W and 100w combo and head don’t have the special.

Keep the input and experiences coming though. The info makes for great hospital reading and raises my spirits!

👍🏻😎👍🏻

Mojo sent on the medial stuff @KingsXJJ !
Thanks @JiveTurkey I appreciate that a bunch. I tell you that your thread on the Badlander tipped the scales. You gave it some high praise and I respect your opinion highly. I know you ended up selling or trading it but I know you turn over gear pretty regularly so I didn’t take that as a hard knock against the amp.

I’m so excited! A high gain JCM variant with baked in IR capability and a great deal?

Woot, woot! Huzzah!

😎

I know longer play live just at home.., jamming and recording so 25 watts will work fine.

After owning the Mark V:25, Bogner Atma, and Friedman Pink Tacos, all for a decent period of time I'm convinced there ain't a damn thing wrong with EL84s. It just took some serious design efforts to make them work for heavy shit. Physics dictates they'll never have the low mid beef of bigger bottles, but in a well designed 20-25 watter in a home, garage, cellar, type setup they're going to kick all sorts of ass.

They Suck GIF by The Woody Show

After owning the Mark V:25, Bogner Atma, and Friedman Pink Tacos, all for a decent period of time I'm convinced there ain't a damn thing wrong with EL84s. It just took some serious design efforts to make them work for heavy shit. Physics dictates they'll never have the low mid beef of bigger bottles, but in a well designed 20-25 watter in a home, garage, cellar, type setup they're going to kick all sorts of ass.
Agreed. My Mark V 25 sounds great!

Back