Meris LVX

Barstools? Oh barberpole? What’s special about it, I don’t remember.
Barstools == barstewards == bastards

The motherfracking bastidz got me! With their godamn sexy sounding expensive pedals! mmmmnnnggaaahhh!!!

What do you think vs the fractal delays and the Timeline?
They're all top tier. They all get you to where you want to be, but via very different methods.

At a push I'd say the Timeline is an all time classic, but it doesn't have the breadth of sounds that the LVX and Fractal can give you. But what it does do, it does very very well.

Do you need a Timeline if you had the LVX or Fractal devices? I wouldn't say need no. But it still justifies its place in my opinion. It is an instant gratification box that to me is as quick and easy to use as a Boss DD pedal is, and it sounds amazing.

... so.. Fractal versus LVX?

They're really similar in 'concept' but the LVX takes a different approach. It is probably better to explain it like this. The LVX signal chain:

Guitar > Delay Type > Delay Routing > Dynamics > Preamp > Filter > Pitch > Modulate > Mix > Output

Now on the LVX... you have to painstakingly dial all of these in to your individual needs, then save a preset. So you get a vintage tape sound by making use of the preamp, dynamics, modulate blocks.. then that becomes your preset.

Whereas on the Fractal it is more like the higher level blocks already do a lot of the internal work for you. Leaving you to just have to dial in top level parameters, and optionally the EQ in the feedback loop. IE: The 'Preamp' block in a Fractal delay circuit is hidden from the user, save for a drive control to add a bit of grit. But you don't get to change its position or type; Fractal do that for you based on the high-level model you select.

I don't know if that is a good explanation or not. It feels about right, but a bit convoluted.

All in all, both of them are pretty similar in capabilities, they just present them differently.

They're all top tier. They all get you to where you want to be, but via very different methods.

At a push I'd say the Timeline is an all time classic, but it doesn't have the breadth of sounds that the LVX and Fractal can give you. But what it does do, it does very very well.

Do you need a Timeline if you had the LVX or Fractal devices? I wouldn't say need no. But it still justifies its place in my opinion. It is an instant gratification box that to me is as quick and easy to use as a Boss DD pedal is, and it sounds amazing.

They're really similar in 'concept' but the LVX takes a different approach. It is probably better to explain it like this. The LVX signal chain:

Guitar > Delay Type > Delay Routing > Dynamics > Preamp > Filter > Pitch > Modulate > Mix > Output

Now on the LVX... you have to painstakingly dial all of these in to your individual needs, then save a preset. So you get a vintage tape sound by making use of the preamp, dynamics, modulate blocks.. then that becomes your preset.

Whereas on the Fractal it is more like the higher level blocks already do a lot of the internal work for you. Leaving you to just have to dial in top level parameters, and optionally the EQ in the feedback loop. IE: The 'Preamp' block in a Fractal delay circuit is hidden from the user, save for a drive control to add a bit of grit. But you don't get to change its position or type; Fractal do that for you based on the high-level model you select.

I don't know if that is a good explanation or not. It feels about right, but a bit convoluted.

All in all, both of them are pretty similar in capabilities, they just present them differently.
Well said.

I use the Strymon Nightsky and have spent a good amount of time trying to emulate my favorite reverbs from Fractal with it and the Nightsky is sort of like a "build your own reverb system" to a point too. But what separates it from the Fractal or LVX is that you have a bunch of knobs and a few switches and that's it. No menus in sight. So to me it's a lot more fun to play with when it can be deep - but not too deep.

With Fractal I like most of the reverbs with their default settings and might adjust a bit of mix and EQ but that's it.

Thanks for that. I'm gassing for a new delay, I think I'm bored with my stomp and fancy something different tbh.

I've been considering the Timeline and think the meris is cool but it's definitely out of my budget. I'm also quite interested in the DD200 purely for the form factor and the controls directly on the unit.

You have the dd500, how do you think it fares against the others?

You have the dd500, how do you think it fares against the others?
Ah I sold it actually.

I don't think it is as nice sounding as these other options. Functionally it is very good. Analog modes are good, especially when you double the BBD size. Tapes are a bit meh imho. Digitals are great. Pretty much anything to do with pitch is dogshit.

Mostly I sold it because of pedal overload and it isn't as user friendly to use as these other options I have.

I'd recommend checking out a TC Flashback. I think they sound really REALLY good!

Hmm funny you should say that. I've also been looking at the plethora and the flashback x4. I used to have a HoF and flashback v1 and liked them a lot. I moved them on when I switched to a modelling setup and have missed them since I went back to an amp and pedals.

I've been telling myself to go for something a little higher up the food chain but might give them another go. You can pick them up for bargainous prices used.

I dunno man, sounds just like what you were complaining about earlier except now you’re happy about it. Nothing about the pedal changed, just your feeeeelings… Stockholm syndrome!
If you want a few dozen presets with spirally atonal pitchy delays, you got it.
If you want a bitcrushed anti-music delay, you got it.
If you want glitchy granular textural stuff to play over the top of, you got it.

But if you want whole suite of tape delays spanning various hardware units, various decades, various tape qualities.... I think you're gonna be a bit miffed at all of the hoops you need to jump through to get it. At least I was. It isn't at all like something like the Strymon El Cap or Volante, where you can just dial in a few high-level parameters, and totally change the character of the whole sound.

This pedal requires you to get into the nitty gritty to get the tones you want, and tbh????

aint nobody got time for that GIF

I dunno man, sounds just like what you were complaining about earlier except now you’re happy about it. Nothing about the pedal changed, just your feeeeelings… Stockholm syndrome!
I already said discount anything I ever said before, because I was talking out of my ring-hole.

I already said discount anything I ever said before, because I was talking out of my ring-hole.
Yeah but what you said before and what you’re saying now are the same, and all that’s changed is your feelings towards it. Which is fine, I'm glad you’re enjoying it, I’m just peeved.

Yeah but what you said before and what you’re saying now are the same, and all that’s changed is your feelings towards it. Which is fine, I'm glad you’re enjoying it, I’m just peeved.
I mean, you're not wrong. I think this is one of those things with this pedal. 30minutes to an hour in a guitar shop isn't enough time to really get your head around it, and for the workflow to settle in.

Nothing has changed about the pedal, it is obviously me getting more used to it. It does start to become intuitive after a while, I can zip around on the thing now.

But really, my original point was more about how Fractal make a bunch of decisions for you, whilst still offering a lot of tonal possibilities. The LVX just comes at the task from a totally different angle.

Both companies could do with a ton of presets that users can download at will, to quickly get access to certain sounds or setups. Or perhaps LVX needs its very own simeone to make a bunch of stuff for it.

I can zip around on the thing now.
Zip around :farley making a basic tape delay for five minutes.

Haha I mean, I get it cus I love delay too. And I dig it conceptually and wanted to love it. But it just turns out I want my pedals tactile and fast, that’s their purpose in my own gear world. Just giving you a hard time :bag

So is the LVX your main go to at the moment? Created cool stuff, saved presets?

So is the LVX your main go to at the moment? Created cool stuff, saved presets?
I've got the LVX, Timeline, and BigSky all on a board and currently running synths through them. Pretty lush. I've got some cool oscillation presets, but only a handful right now.

The LVX is really cool. I just wish it played nicer with FX loops. I have various amp heads, and it didn't matter what brand I used, the LVX lowered the output volume back into the loop. Maddening considering its such a cool box and none of my other pedals, modelers, or rack effects have this issue. I wound up flipping it a few months ago and I hope they fix this in future iterations.

The LVX is really cool. I just wish it played nicer with FX loops. I have various amp heads, and it didn't matter what brand I used, the LVX lowered the output volume back into the loop. Maddening considering its such a cool box and none of my other pedals, modelers, or rack effects have this issue. I wound up flipping it a few months ago and I hope they fix this in future iterations.
Depending on the effects loop, you may have needed to set it to "synth" level, which is basically "line" level, why they call it synth level I don't know. I've not actually tried mine in the loop, I will do so!

Depending on the effects loop, you may have needed to set it to "synth" level, which is basically "line" level, why they call it synth level I don't know. I've not actually tried mine in the loop, I will do so!
Bro it’s me, don’t think I didn’t try every option under the sun to get it to work right lol

I was getting close to just rooting the damn device and upping the out level myself.

Aye I figured you probably would have tried it!

My JVM has a convenient fx loop switch on the front, so I can check this in a bit!

Aye I figured you probably would have tried it!

My JVM has a convenient fx loop switch on the front, so I can check this in a bit!
Oh awesome let me know please! I tried it with a bunch of Mesa amps, Synergy rack system, and a Marshall DSL100 and found the same issue with all of them.

Oh awesome let me know please! I tried it with a bunch of Mesa amps, Synergy rack system, and a Marshall DSL100 and found the same issue with all of them.
Right. So here's what I did.

Reamped a sine-tone from Reaper into the JVM. Set it to the crunch channel to distort it.
Jumpered the FX loop with a cable.
Had my Neve DI box in between the amp and cab, to tap the whole output of the amplifier.
Took a measurement of the amp without the FX loop as the sine tone ran through it.

I got -24.2dB peak from the amp without the FX loop enabled.
Setting the FX loop volume knob to the 0dB point, I got a bit of a level drop. This is just the amp. So I can only conclude that where 0dB on the amp label is, is not actually where it is. I bumped it up until the signal was unity gain. So I was getting -24.2dB peak with and without the FX loop enabled. This means I've dialed in the amp to unity gain, and no level drop can be attributed to the amp itself.

Then I added the LVX into the effects loop and made sure the LVX was set to relay bypass, meaning even when a patch is not enabled, the pedal is still processing the full signal.

So in this A/B:
Amp with no effects loop was peaking at -24.4
Amp with effects loop with the LVX set to relay bypass was peaking at -24.8

Then I turned on an LVX patch and set the mix to 0%.
Amp with no effects loop was peaking at -24.4
Amp with effects loop with the LVX set to relay bypass was peaking at -24.3

I could've done RMS, but peak was quicker. But basically no perceptible level loss to my ears and my measurements.

Back