Meris LVX

Good write up. What do you mean by “milking out?”
I'm going off memory right now, but if you pay close attention to the Simple Delay on Helix (happens with other models as well, but this one is the most obvious) if you set the delay to 80% on the feedback, you'll notice you only get about 7-10 echoes, maybe 12 even, before the delay hits silence. They also die away far too quickly in terms of volume level, whereas on some other delays like the Timeline, LVX, and even the bog standard Boss DD stuff, when you get the delay to even just 50% you'll start to get 16-20 delay echoes, where the nature of how they echo way doesn't get softer and they die away more naturally.

It is very noticeable when you compare the delays on Helix to other standalone pedals, and is a huge deal when it comes to ambient washes and post-rock sounds. I've fought against it ever since I first got a Helix to be honest.

So... here's how I feel after about 4-5 hours of messing around with it. I've not gotten into modifiers or expression pedal control yet, so won't get into that just now..

The good:
- Right off the bat, it sounds great. It really does. And on the whole, very inspiring to listen to and play through.

- Really nice oscillations, and really pliable too; you can dial in tons of different types of characteristics to your oscillations. Want high and squealy? You got it. Want low and rumbly? You got that too. Want it very solid, almost like blocks of square-waves? You can do that. Want it modulated and warbly? You can do that too. This goes for all modes too - the digital can sound just as good (and gooey!) as the BBD and Magnetic modes.

- Speaking of the digital mode; it is excellent. There is no milking out of the delay echoes here, not like what you get on Helix. You get a really nice consistent number of echoes when the feedback is at 50%, again unlike the Helix.

- I really like the magnetic mode.

- The 'Cassette' and 'Granulize' effects are extremely unique. Not a lot of delays offer these. There are a bunch of sounds from the cassette effect that I think I could approximate on my Axe FX III, but I don't think the Axe FX III will do anything like the granularize. Both of these work extremely well in the feedback loop of the delay. These are almost worth the price of entry by themselves if you're into those kinds of sounds.

- For most typical delay sounds, you actually don't need to use any of the additional effects pages. You can stay on the delay page and tweak feedback, mix, time, dampening, delay type, and structure.. and that already gives you loads and loads of different sounds without you being required to tweak it to death. I actually wasn't expecting this, so kudos to Meris for at least making the main page give you most of what you need.

- The spillover behaviour between presets is excellent. Probably best in class for an individual stomp box.

- The noise gate feature is a really nice touch, especially when using the pedal in front of a high-gain amp channel. Even setting it to 0% clears up a lot of additional noise. It is quite a bit quieter than the Timeline when using it like this.

- It can do a lot of quite diffused and reverby tones as well as delay. I really enjoy that aspect of the pedal.

The bad:
- I do think the workflow is a bit confusing, but not as confusing as it was when I tried it for the first time last year. I only had 10-20minutes with it that time, so it is slowly sinking in. But it shouldn't take 5 hours for a delay pedal to begin to feel intuitive; even for one as complex and capable as this.

- For example, I keep turning the presets/page knob to try to adjust parameters, instead of the knob on the right under the screen. So I end up paging when I meant to adjust dampening, for example.

- As it turns out, the floaty space bubbles mode is more intuitive than the supposedly more intuitive text mode. At least for me. This is subjective, YMMV.

- I'm not sure I really like the sound of the 'bbd' mode. There is way too much clock noise for my tastes. Using the dampening control to remove the clock noise kills too much high-end. There is no control over the number of chips like there is on Helix Adriatic Delay and Boss DD-500, and I'm quite surprised at this omission. The core dBucket sound of the Timeline sounds a lot clearer and better to me, it doesn't have as much clock noise at the same tempos, and ultimately is cleaner.

- It probably will take some time to get my head around it, but I find the fact that the left and right delays are both audible even when running the pedal in mono, to be a little confusing. It also means in a typical "straight into the guitar amp" scenario, you often end up having to tweak parameters that you shouldn't really need to tweak; namely delay left/right divisions. Maybe there is a way to link them? Not sure. It isn't a deal breaker, just a bit confusing.

- I strongly feel that "reverse" shouldn't be a structure. Rather it should be an additional option that all of the structures have. But maybe I'm being picky there.

- Although saying that, the reverse mode is sometimes quite clicky when in digital mode and using the dampening feature. You can hear the end of the delay buffer not properly crossfading. Quite off-putting.

- I've noticed when adjusting some parameters you will sometimes get clicks in the audio output. These tend to be top level parameters that you wouldn't assign a modifier to, like structure type, delay type, and things like that.... but they could do with making that a bit smoother.

- Sometimes when tweaking parameters, the value jumps around way too quickly. Putting the time into bpm mode for example, if you want to scroll from 100bpm to 130bpm, you'll often find the pedal will jump massive values in a very unnatural way.

- There simply HAS TO BE a better way to present the multi-tap and multi-filter modes. I don't know what, but separating out all 8 tap parameters the way they have is probably the most boring time I've had tweaking an effect. Editing the taps (pan, level, Q, frequency) for these two structures just isn't inspiring at all. Most of the time I'm finding I tweak a few things on them, get bored and impatient, and move on to a simpler mode. I guess a boatload of "tap presets" would help here.

So that is where I'm at with it now. I am enjoying it, but it certainly isn't perfect, and for the price point... I definitely expect closer to perfect than it is. It pairs really well with the Timeline and BigSky, and I can definitely see the Meris earning its place in my rig. But it is going to take a lot of work to get there. It isn't plug and play like the Timeline is.

You give good reviews dude. So much more informative than the usual honeymoon gushing over a new pedal.

Cheers dude!

I get so tired of the usual gushing and "this is the best sound I've ever had", "this is the sound on my head" type posts you see.

I've included some of the standard 'reviews' we normally get from TOP below

dam-break.gif

giphy (9).gif

I tell you what, the poly structure with the dimension absolutely tits'd sounds like one of the best reverbs you've ever heard.

I'm going off memory right now, but if you pay close attention to the Simple Delay on Helix (happens with other models as well, but this one is the most obvious) if you set the delay to 80% on the feedback, you'll notice you only get about 7-10 echoes, maybe 12 even, before the delay hits silence. They also die away far too quickly in terms of volume level, whereas on some other delays like the Timeline, LVX, and even the bog standard Boss DD stuff, when you get the delay to even just 50% you'll start to get 16-20 delay echoes, where the nature of how they echo way doesn't get softer and they die away more naturally.

It is very noticeable when you compare the delays on Helix to other standalone pedals, and is a huge deal when it comes to ambient washes and post-rock sounds. I've fought against it ever since I first got a Helix to be honest.

Thanks, I just couldn’t follow what you meant. I’ve never really wanted 16-20 echoes so that’s not something I’ve ever looked for. I’ve always found L6 delays to kind of sit at my sweet spot of staying prominent and then receding at just the right time as far as the repeat volume. That probably has something to do with familiarity though more than anything, I played a DL4 for a very long time so that may just be what my ears want to hear. I’m not a fan of the simple delay model though, I thought that was something they threw in mainly as a utility model for really simple things. If I wanted a prominent delay with a ton of repeats audible, I think crisscross is probably what I would use (no crossfeed, I just think it’s the best sounding “digital delay” in the HX stuff).

You’ve got me more interested in this pedal than I originally was. I watched a video of someone scrolling through the menu and immediately said “nope.” I didn’t mind editing my original axe fx from the front panel too much, and even I wanted nothing to do with that meris control scheme lol. Like anything, if you use it enough I’m sure you can memorize it well enough.

D

Thanks, I just couldn’t follow what you meant. I’ve never really wanted 16-20 echoes so that’s not something I’ve ever looked for. I’ve always found L6 delays to kind of sit at my sweet spot of staying prominent and then receding at just the right time as far as the repeat volume. That probably has something to do with familiarity though more than anything, I played a DL4 for a very long time so that may just be what my ears want to hear. I’m not a fan of the simple delay model though, I thought that was something they threw in mainly as a utility model for really simple things. If I wanted a prominent delay with a ton of repeats audible, I think crisscross is probably what I would use (no crossfeed, I just think it’s the best sounding “digital delay” in the HX stuff).

You’ve got me more interested in this pedal than I originally was. I watched a video of someone scrolling through the menu and immediately said “nope.” I didn’t mind editing my original axe fx from the front panel too much, and even I wanted nothing to do with that meris control scheme lol. Like anything, if you use it enough I’m sure you can memorize it well enough.

D
I've used Line 6 delays since at least 2010. I don't hate the Helix delays, it is just that after 8 years of using it as my main effects platform, I'm super tempted by other platforms. If you're not into sonic art and futzing with effects more than writing music (which I don't mean disparagingly!) then I can see why the Helix echo style would fit the build for the majority of use cases.

I just feel for big washes and my take on post-rock ambience, it isn't quite doing it for me anymore.

I'd go as far to say that most of the LVX Youtube videos I watched, actually put me off the pedal.

You are a weak-willed mega delay and reverb junkie is what you are.

But in your defence, you do produce some quite passable results with it all.

So to round off; I spent the whole night with it last night, first with guitar and then synth. The tones are pretty stellar. I actually really liked the BBD mode on synth, so I'm wondering if when I was using guitar, if I was just doing something wrong. We'll see.

The key to this thing is to really not think too much about it being in different "modes" and I think that was where my initial hesitations came from. But if you wanted to look at it at a high level, you get these "modes":

Digital Standard
Digital Series
Digital Reverse
Digital Poly
Digital Multi-tap
Digital Multi-filter
BBD Standard
BBD Series
BBD Reverse
BBD Poly
BBD Multi-tap
BBD Multi-filter
Magnetic Standard
Magnetic Series
Magnetic Reverse
Magnetic Poly
Magnetic Multi-tap
Magnetic Multi-filter

And once you picked one of those combinations, you then get a variety of effects you can place throughout the processing chain. Positions you get:

Pre
Pre+Dry
Feedback Loop
The effects break down like this:

Dynamics: Compressor, Swell, Diffusion, Limiter.
Preamp: Volume Pedal, Tube, Transistor, Op-Amp, Drive, Bit Crusher
Filter: Ladder, State Variable, Comb, Parametric EQ.
Pitch: Poly Chroma, Harmony, Micro Tune, Mono Chroma, Lo-Fi
Modulate: Chorus, Flanger, Dynamic Flanger, Cassette, Barberpole, Granulize, Ring Mod

Every effect has a range of parameters, and you can control them from LFO's, the sequencer, sample-and-hold, and an envelope follower.

And really... that is the top level stuff you need to understand to get your head around the fact that whilst the unit doesn't have 20 different tape delay categories, you can actually craft as many as you can think of, by utilising the type+structure, and effects.

So... here's how I feel after about 4-5 hours of messing around with it. I've not gotten into modifiers or expression pedal control yet, so won't get into that just now..

The good:
- Right off the bat, it sounds great. It really does. And on the whole, very inspiring to listen to and play through.

- Really nice oscillations, and really pliable too; you can dial in tons of different types of characteristics to your oscillations. Want high and squealy? You got it. Want low and rumbly? You got that too. Want it very solid, almost like blocks of square-waves? You can do that. Want it modulated and warbly? You can do that too. This goes for all modes too - the digital can sound just as good (and gooey!) as the BBD and Magnetic modes.

- Speaking of the digital mode; it is excellent. There is no milking out of the delay echoes here, not like what you get on Helix. You get a really nice consistent number of echoes when the feedback is at 50%, again unlike the Helix.

- I really like the magnetic mode.

- The 'Cassette' and 'Granulize' effects are extremely unique. Not a lot of delays offer these. There are a bunch of sounds from the cassette effect that I think I could approximate on my Axe FX III, but I don't think the Axe FX III will do anything like the granularize. Both of these work extremely well in the feedback loop of the delay. These are almost worth the price of entry by themselves if you're into those kinds of sounds.

- For most typical delay sounds, you actually don't need to use any of the additional effects pages. You can stay on the delay page and tweak feedback, mix, time, dampening, delay type, and structure.. and that already gives you loads and loads of different sounds without you being required to tweak it to death. I actually wasn't expecting this, so kudos to Meris for at least making the main page give you most of what you need.

- The spillover behaviour between presets is excellent. Probably best in class for an individual stomp box.

- The noise gate feature is a really nice touch, especially when using the pedal in front of a high-gain amp channel. Even setting it to 0% clears up a lot of additional noise. It is quite a bit quieter than the Timeline when using it like this.

- It can do a lot of quite diffused and reverby tones as well as delay. I really enjoy that aspect of the pedal.

The bad:
- I do think the workflow is a bit confusing, but not as confusing as it was when I tried it for the first time last year. I only had 10-20minutes with it that time, so it is slowly sinking in. But it shouldn't take 5 hours for a delay pedal to begin to feel intuitive; even for one as complex and capable as this.

- For example, I keep turning the presets/page knob to try to adjust parameters, instead of the knob on the right under the screen. So I end up paging when I meant to adjust dampening, for example.

- As it turns out, the floaty space bubbles mode is more intuitive than the supposedly more intuitive text mode. At least for me. This is subjective, YMMV.

- I'm not sure I really like the sound of the 'bbd' mode. There is way too much clock noise for my tastes. Using the dampening control to remove the clock noise kills too much high-end. There is no control over the number of chips like there is on Helix Adriatic Delay and Boss DD-500, and I'm quite surprised at this omission. The core dBucket sound of the Timeline sounds a lot clearer and better to me, it doesn't have as much clock noise at the same tempos, and ultimately is cleaner.

- It probably will take some time to get my head around it, but I find the fact that the left and right delays are both audible even when running the pedal in mono, to be a little confusing. It also means in a typical "straight into the guitar amp" scenario, you often end up having to tweak parameters that you shouldn't really need to tweak; namely delay left/right divisions. Maybe there is a way to link them? Not sure. It isn't a deal breaker, just a bit confusing.

- I strongly feel that "reverse" shouldn't be a structure. Rather it should be an additional option that all of the structures have. But maybe I'm being picky there.

- Although saying that, the reverse mode is sometimes quite clicky when in digital mode and using the dampening feature. You can hear the end of the delay buffer not properly crossfading. Quite off-putting.

- I've noticed when adjusting some parameters you will sometimes get clicks in the audio output. These tend to be top level parameters that you wouldn't assign a modifier to, like structure type, delay type, and things like that.... but they could do with making that a bit smoother.

- Sometimes when tweaking parameters, the value jumps around way too quickly. Putting the time into bpm mode for example, if you want to scroll from 100bpm to 130bpm, you'll often find the pedal will jump massive values in a very unnatural way.

- There simply HAS TO BE a better way to present the multi-tap and multi-filter modes. I don't know what, but separating out all 8 tap parameters the way they have is probably the most boring time I've had tweaking an effect. Editing the taps (pan, level, Q, frequency) for these two structures just isn't inspiring at all. Most of the time I'm finding I tweak a few things on them, get bored and impatient, and move on to a simpler mode. I guess a boatload of "tap presets" would help here.

So that is where I'm at with it now. I am enjoying it, but it certainly isn't perfect, and for the price point... I definitely expect closer to perfect than it is. It pairs really well with the Timeline and BigSky, and I can definitely see the Meris earning its place in my rig. But it is going to take a lot of work to get there. It isn't plug and play like the Timeline is.
Damn it, do I have to try it again…:hmm

And agreed, the bubble UI works. Our UI czars will point out it doesn’t look good on paper and that’s kind of what I expected as well, but it works.
Nnnnnghhhhh... the barstools got me!!! I'm an overnight fanboi !!!!
Barstools? Oh barberpole? What’s special about it, I don’t remember.
whilst the unit doesn't have 20 different tape delay categories, you can actually craft as many as you can think of, by utilising the type+structure, and effects.
Ok maybe I don’t have to try again. Cus that’s great for 5% of the uses, and it does genuinely have sounds and workflows in it that’s not available elsewhere, but 95% of the time it’s kind of a pain.

So to round off; I spent the whole night with it last night, first with guitar and then synth. The tones are pretty stellar. I actually really liked the BBD mode on synth, so I'm wondering if when I was using guitar, if I was just doing something wrong. We'll see.

The key to this thing is to really not think too much about it being in different "modes" and I think that was where my initial hesitations came from. But if you wanted to look at it at a high level, you get these "modes":

Digital Standard
Digital Series
Digital Reverse
Digital Poly
Digital Multi-tap
Digital Multi-filter
BBD Standard
BBD Series
BBD Reverse
BBD Poly
BBD Multi-tap
BBD Multi-filter
Magnetic Standard
Magnetic Series
Magnetic Reverse
Magnetic Poly
Magnetic Multi-tap
Magnetic Multi-filter

And once you picked one of those combinations, you then get a variety of effects you can place throughout the processing chain. Positions you get:

Pre
Pre+Dry
Feedback Loop
The effects break down like this:

Dynamics: Compressor, Swell, Diffusion, Limiter.
Preamp: Volume Pedal, Tube, Transistor, Op-Amp, Drive, Bit Crusher
Filter: Ladder, State Variable, Comb, Parametric EQ.
Pitch: Poly Chroma, Harmony, Micro Tune, Mono Chroma, Lo-Fi
Modulate: Chorus, Flanger, Dynamic Flanger, Cassette, Barberpole, Granulize, Ring Mod

Every effect has a range of parameters, and you can control them from LFO's, the sequencer, sample-and-hold, and an envelope follower.

And really... that is the top level stuff you need to understand to get your head around the fact that whilst the unit doesn't have 20 different tape delay categories, you can actually craft as many as you can think of, by utilising the type+structure, and effects.

Can you have all of those effects at once or are you limited to X of them at once? If you have more than one, can you select for one to be pre and one to be feedback loop?

D

Can you have all of those effects at once or are you limited to X of them at once? If you have more than one, can you select for one to be pre and one to be feedback loop?

D
Yes. All at once if you want. And yes, different positions for every one too.

Back