Meris LVX

Seems like a cool sounding pedal but that user interface...oof. I grew frustrated just watching TJonTheRoad operate it in the first video. The graphic view is just a worse scroll list view and the text view is generally too small.

The text is small I agree. I think they could have given it a slightly larger font size and still fit everything. The UI isn't that bad once you know how to get with it. I forgot to post here my second video. Maybe this will help.

Seems like a cool sounding pedal but that user interface...oof. I grew frustrated just watching TJonTheRoad operate it in the first video. The graphic view is just a worse scroll list view and the text view is generally too small.
After a few minutes, it kinda starts to make sense. But I never actually managed to figure out how to switch it to the list view that they also offer, which I think I would prefer.

I'm on the fence about getting one of these.

After a few minutes, it kinda starts to make sense. But I never actually managed to figure out how to switch it to the list view that they also offer, which I think I would prefer.

I'm on the fence about getting one of these.

The text view is in the global menu selections.

Yeah watching vids I still haven’t figured out what the point was for the graphic view other than PTU credits.

• 100%
Reactions: JT
What The Hell Reaction GIF by iQiyi

Okay, so if I've got Axe FX 3.... Helix... DD500.... DD8.... RV5.... RV500.... TC Flashback X4 II.... TC HoF X4 II..... Eventide H90...

Do I really need the LVX???

Okay, so if I've got Axe FX 3.... Helix... DD500.... DD8.... RV5.... RV500.... TC Flashback X4 II.... TC HoF X4 II..... Eventide H90...

Do I really need the LVX???

Biggest LVX advantage is the advanced modular modulation routing with LFOs, sequencer, envelopes, sample & hold, MIDI and such. It's also the most complex part of LVX. Not easy for everyone to get their head around. An editor would be very useful here.

I really can't make my mind up about getting one or not. I love the feature set - having the DSP blocks you can put anywhere in the signal path, seems to me to be quite unparalleled in pedal land.

But honestly?? I've watched so many YT clips now, and only one guy has really blown me away with it. Everyone else is either scrolling through patches, or they're making their own patches but aren't doing any of the things I would want to do or hear.

Think I need to go back to the shop and check it out for myself again. Only had 10 minutes with it last time.

I really can't make my mind up about getting one or not. I love the feature set - having the DSP blocks you can put anywhere in the signal path, seems to me to be quite unparalleled in pedal land.

But honestly?? I've watched so many YT clips now, and only one guy has really blown me away with it. Everyone else is either scrolling through patches, or they're making their own patches but aren't doing any of the things I would want to do or hear.

Think I need to go back to the shop and check it out for myself again. Only had 10 minutes with it last time.

I think it would be right up your alley. Then again, I doubt there’s much in it you can’t do with your Axe-FX.

D

What do you want to do with it? It works great for synths.

I just got back from trying it out at the shops again. TLDR; it aint for me. It's too expensive, and too complicated. I think the UI and UX is pretty poor overall, even if the sounds are sometimes impressive.

So these are just my opinions.

But I think the key word there is 'sometimes'. When it comes to "monster delay with all the typical sounds you could ever hope for" I actually think it's kind of lacking.

If you want a few dozen presets with spirally atonal pitchy delays, you got it.
If you want a bitcrushed anti-music delay, you got it.
If you want glitchy granular textural stuff to play over the top of, you got it.

But if you want whole suite of tape delays spanning various hardware units, various decades, various tape qualities.... I think you're gonna be a bit miffed at all of the hoops you need to jump through to get it. At least I was. It isn't at all like something like the Strymon El Cap or Volante, where you can just dial in a few high-level parameters, and totally change the character of the whole sound.

This pedal requires you to get into the nitty gritty to get the tones you want, and tbh????

aint nobody got time for that GIF

The one thing I really like about this pedal is the ability to put things into the feedback loop. But it's not really that intuitive at all, and there does not seem to be any control over the order of the things in the feedback loop... so you could put the preamp into the feedback loop, then the modulation... but you can't seem to swap them around in the signal chain. Seems like an arbitrary limitation for something that is supposed to be so powerful.

If you're not a fan of the Polymoon thing... and if you're not a fan of pitch effects... and if you're not a fan of delay that smears into a reverb tone... and if you're not a fan of parameter tweakiness... then I'd avoid this.

£629 is way too much for how annoying this pedal is to use, and I just don't think it sounds that great - IMHO.

I still think the DD500 and Timeline are better pedals. Volante too, I might add.

I doubt there’s much in it you can’t do with your Axe-FX.
If we're being really honest with ourselves, the Axe-FX has kinda sewn up the effects game.... if you're willing to work for it. Sometimes I am, sometimes I'm not. The Axe-FX is at least presented in a MUCH friendlier way than the LVX. IMHO.

If we're being really honest with ourselves, the Axe-FX has kinda sewn up the effects game.... if you're willing to work for it. Sometimes I am, sometimes I'm not. The Axe-FX is at least presented in a MUCH friendlier way than the LVX. IMHO.

Yeah, I have an older Axe rack unit sitting here. I often think I should make it a dedicated fx processor and deep dive some really intricate presets entirely devoted to nailing a specific effect end to end. I never do it, it’s too much work. And too many other devices pretty much get me where I want to go more easily.

But if you’re looking at doing crazy multi delay stuff, there are very few things with the power or capability of the Fractal units. After years of trying those types of multi delay things (starting with the Magicstomp years ago), they just aren’t what I’m into so this particular meris offering didn’t do anything for me.

D

The filters on the LVX are miles better sounding than Fractal. There's cassette fx, diffusion, fully assignable dual LFOs and additional sample & hold. There are also envelopes modulation, sequencer and feedback loops. There's the looper too on the LVX.

The UI suffers from the small screen given the power on board. An editor would be welcome just any other complex pedal. It's not alone in that category.

The filters on the LVX are miles better sounding than Fractal. There's cassette fx, diffusion, fully assignable dual LFOs and additional sample & hold. There are also envelopes modulation, sequencer and feedback loops. There's the looper too on the LVX.

The UI suffers from the small screen given the power on board. An editor would be welcome just any other complex pedal. It's not alone in that category.

If you’re talking about the pre-baked delays on the fractal, you’re probably right. I was referring to manually controlling the feedback loop and inserting your own effects and controllers there to get the sounds you want. It’s pretty insane what you can do with delay effects in fractal if you have the knowledge and time to roll your own. Are we talking about the same thing?

D

If you’re talking about the pre-baked delays on the fractal, you’re probably right. I was referring to manually controlling the feedback loop and inserting your own effects and controllers there to get the sounds you want. It’s pretty insane what you can do with delay effects in fractal if you have the knowledge and time to roll your own. Are we talking about the same thing?

D
No, I'm talking about the filter block. It's not very good sounding. Also mod routing on Fractal stuff is not nearly as easy as it is on LVX.

Back