Mental Health Resources Thread

Mongillo19

Rock Star
Just based on other conversations had in my life in general and given our demographic of mostly males here, I don't think it hurts to have these resources. I think I can speak for the mods here that any mocking, ridiculing, making fun of etc of others posts in this thread in regards to mental health will not be tolerated.

I do want to make it abundantly clear that I wouldn't use TGF as a source for mental health treatment and instead contact your local crisis center or mental health professionals as needed.

Moral of the story is that it is ok to talk about your feelings and if you need to talk about things this could be a good thread to do so and I think you'll be surprised to find many people have gone through similar situations. Or if mods would rather this not be one of the threads on TGF, maybe making this post not being able to be commented on could be an option.

CDC Mental Health Resources:

Various other links:

Last edited:
Good reminder of great resources out there. And that no one should feel alone.

And all of us may like to give each other sh*t and bust balls, but I think we’re all good guys and no one would ridicule anyone if they needed to come here for some real talk or venting or just moral support.

:beer

BetterHelp.com is a pretty big reason I’m even alive this year.

When things were taking a turn for the worse in my marriage, I knew I had to start talking to someone else rather than my friends because “Yeah man, that sucks” doesn’t quite help things. :rofl Every therapist in my insurance network was booked solid, we were still coming out/one foot in the door with the pandemic. I kept hearing about BetterHelp on podcasts, so I went and checked it out. They’ve got therapists who specialize in all the major issues discussed in therapy, addiction, abuse, stress, etc and the rates are dependent on your income. They don’t take insurance, but they can be pretty damn cheap. You can do the sessions over the phone or zoom.

I didn’t get along with the first therapist I got there, but it was no problem to switch. If you spend more than an hour with someone and they’re off the mark with EVERYTHING they say, or they’re making these assumptions that don’t reflect reality at all, get another one. Every time I would say something to the guy he’d respond with “So you must _________” and whatever he’d say would be the opposite of what I said to him or were so far off base I spent more time trying to clarify things to him and he just had this overall “I know your situation more than you” vibe. The next therapist I was set up with was perfect.

I was really lucky to find a therapist within 2 weeks, and the sessions are covered by my insurance. I am a Nursing Supervisor and the last couple of years have been mercilessly hard because of the pandemic, a narcissistic superior and ongoing telephone on-call duty in my free time. It came to a point where I couldn‘t sleep anymore and was feeling constantly stressed and anxious. I am on sick leave since October and will start to work again in the second week of January. Hoping for the best.

1 week before Christmas I lost my best friend, it's so sad, I loved that guy
He had been struggling with depression and anxiety for a lot of years. 10 years ago I had to driving him to the Hospital, after he tried to end his life.. he was not himself after that.. and this time we cloud not help him enough.. he was drinking and not taking his medisin... that is not a good recipe
But I appreciate everyone's story of their struggles. We are men and we should talk about things. I am glad I have friends that are not afraid to talk

It sure helps to know that you're not alone.

And it can't be said loud enough, there is help out there, I did find help and I'm still alive

I try to live by something Henry Rollins sang in one of his songs...
... Suicide? .. I'm not that type.

So when times get dark, and the anxiety is high, I sing this to myself.

Damn man. Sorry to hear about your friend. I understand the suicidal feelings, I have them too. But I could never go through with it. I have a daughter and to do that to her... can't even finish the thought really.

My dad died (not suicide, heart-attack) when I was 15 (he was 38) and it has left it's trauma on me. I never got therapy or counselling for it, and I'm 38 now and I'd say it has had a profound impact on me throughout my life. As it should I suppose. But the lifelong sense of loss, it just isn't fair to put that on people.

Last edited:
Damn man. Sorry to hear about your friend. I understand the suicidal feelings, I have them too. But I could never go through with it. I have a daughter and to do that to her... can't even finish the thought really.

My dad died (not suicide, heart-attack) when I was 15 (he was 38) and it has left it's trauma on me. I never got therapy or counselling for it, and I'm 38 now and I'd sat it has had a profound impact on me throughout my life. As it should I suppose. But the lifelong sense of loss, it just isn't fair to put that on people.
Thanks man!
Yeah I've had them myself. But I also have a Son (22) and as you say I could not 'do that' to him. So that helps when times get difficult.
Without him.. I don't know. But I'm still here 😊

1 week before Christmas I lost my best friend, it's so sad, I loved that guy
He had been struggling with depression and anxiety for a lot of years. 10 years ago I had to driving him to the Hospital, after he tried to end his life.. he was not himself after that.. and this time we cloud not help him enough.. he was drinking and not taking his medisin... that is not a good recipe
But I appreciate everyone's story of their struggles. We are men and we should talk about things. I am glad I have friends that are not afraid to talk

It sure helps to know that you're not alone.

And it can't be said loud enough, there is help out there, I did find help and I'm still alive

I try to live by something Henry Rollins sang in one of his songs...
... Suicide? .. I'm not that type.

So when times get dark, and the anxiety is high, I sing this to myself.
I feel that. I feel like I'm close to that with my best friend and idk what to do. It's hard when you see them spiraling out of control and just feel helpless.

It's been like that for the past few years now. We are in our late 20s at the moment

I feel that. I feel like I'm close to that with my best friend and idk what to do. It's hard when you see them spiraling out of control and just feel helpless.

It's been like that for the past few years now. We are in our late 20s at the moment
It's scary to see .. hmm this is not good, I'm worried type of situation

What me and my friends did was to call him, and go for walks, take a coffee, hang out without drinking. Just do stuff that was positive. But if you don't get true on the phone, and you sense that he is isolating himself. That is when we should knock om the door
But my friend also had 'friends ' that did go drinking with him, smoke some pot.. that was not good to get to know. My buddy had multiple diagnosis, so if he was not on his medisin..things got bad quickly.

Just try to be a good friend, that is really all we can do. But also don't be afraid to be firm, without getting into an argument.

I have even reached out to his family, to let them know that I'm starting to get worried.

It's scary to see .. hmm this is not good, I'm worried type of situation

What me and my friends did was to call him, and go for walks, take a coffee, hang out without drinking. Just do stuff that was positive. But if you don't get true on the phone, and you sense that he is isolating himself. That is when we should knock om the door
But my friend also had 'friends ' that did go drinking with him, smoke some pot.. that was not good to get to know. My buddy had multiple diagnosis, so if he was not on his medisin..things got bad quickly.

Just try to be a good friend, that is really all we can do. But also don't be afraid to be firm, without getting into an argument.

I have even reached out to his family, to let them know that I'm starting to get worried.
All good ideas.

Drinking for him is certainly an issue and he has expressed suicidal ideation in the past and I've spent multiple hours on calls with him making sure he was ok. Even had to call a crisis line once. Things seem to be getting better but the drinking is certainly still an issue. There's only so much you can do I suppose and unfortunately I'm across the country.

He did go see a professional once who prescribed an antidepressant but in a drunken moment he took them all because he "was tired of waiting for them to work"

Straight up not a good time lol

Back