Looking for a SMALL USB-C audio interface

luckymethod

Roadie
I often bring the guitar to work to practice during the breaks. Sometimes I feel the urge to use a plugin to practice with a decent sound but I haven't found a good solution to connect my guitar to my work Macbook (only USB C) that's not cumbersome to lug around. Ideally it would be a single cable solution like some of the guitar to computer cables but I can't find anything that's USBC.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an interface that's small and compact, usb powered and that uses USB C to connect? Everything else is pretty much not needed for me. Thanks!

Currently considering:

i-rig pro: not a fan of having to buy a $29 cable to connect it to USB-C
Apogee Jam: seems like it might be the ticket but the micro USB on the device is not gonna be very sturdy, I would prefer one that has USB C to C connectors ideally.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 1678991674606.png
    1678991674606.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 25
The Apogee Jam+ has the USB C for the laptop and a micro type at the Jam+ but the fit of the Micro type is solid in the socket, it has never felt loose or problematic. I use it a lot for an iPad Pro because it is so small, USB powered, very convenient

Yeah once I get a MBAir, I'll be using the iRig HD2 with Amplitube 5, for the most part.
The best part is last night, I sat on my couch with only my MacBook and headphones, mixing, dialing in my tones, re-amping with TONEX and Helix Native while all of my gear remained on my pedal board.

I often bring the guitar to work to practice during the breaks. Sometimes I feel the urge to use a plugin to practice with a decent sound but I haven't found a good solution to connect my guitar to my work Macbook (only USB C) that's not cumbersome to lug around. Ideally it would be a single cable solution like some of the guitar to computer cables but I can't find anything that's USBC.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an interface that's small and compact, usb powered and that uses USB C to connect? Everything else is pretty much not needed for me. Thanks!

Currently considering:

i-rig pro: not a fan of having to buy a $29 cable to connect it to USB-C
Apogee Jam: seems like it might be the ticket but the micro USB on the device is not gonna be very sturdy, I would prefer one that has USB C to C connectors ideally.
iRig Pro I/O includes a USB-C cable. Per our site https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigproio/index.php?p=specs

Package includes

iRig Pro I/O universal Audio-MIDI interface
Lightning to Mini-DIN connection cable with charging features (60cm/23.62")
USB-A to Mini-DIN connection cable (60cm/23.62")
USB-C to Mini-DIN connection cable (60cm/23.62")
2.5mm TRS male to MIDI female adapter (10cm / 3.9")
2 x 1.5V AA Battery
Velcro strip

I see that's been pointed out and for guitar only I'd also second the iRig HD 2 option being a great one too.

The Apogee Jam+ has the USB C for the laptop and a micro type at the Jam+ but the fit of the Micro type is solid in the socket, it has never felt loose or problematic. I use it a lot for an iPad Pro because it is so small, USB powered, very convenient
They usually aren't loose, but are prone to break especially when the device is not very heavy on the other side so you end up having it dangle by the cable a lot. Not a huge deal but ideally new devices would have USB-C instead that doesn't need to be oriented and it's quite a bit sturdier.

I’m very happy with my iD4 mk2, and it runs way better than the iRig HD something I tried a while ago. Latency and performance is damn great and it’s still small and usb c powered.

They usually aren't loose, but are prone to break especially when the device is not very heavy on the other side so you end up having it dangle by the cable a lot. Not a huge deal but ideally new devices would have USB-C instead that doesn't need to be oriented and it's quite a bit sturdier.
That's a totally different use case for me. I don't think even USB C is going to protect us from having the thing dangling from the cable!

have iRIG HD for years. I think companies should stop using TPE or silicon whatever they put on the body. They go super sticky over the years and I am forced to wrap it with something. I personally hate these rubbery finish. They always go bad after some time.

have iRIG HD for years. I think companies should stop using TPE or silicon whatever they put on the body. They go super sticky over the years and I am forced to wrap it with something. I personally hate these rubbery finish. They always go bad after some time.
My Ableton Push 2 sucks to touch. Hard agree.

If there's an interface with USB C that fit your needs, great, but I wouldn't limit your options just to avoid buying a cable or adapter. For audio interface purposes, there's no notable advantage of USB C over A/B.

Back