Looking for suggestions for VERY portable "FRFR" or PA

I think you missed the joke. :beer

It wasn't directed at anyone specifically. It's just that the thread kind of demands the :poop:

Still think a small powered pair of studio monitors for the stereo tonez will yield
the most sonic pleasure. All things considered.

I think you missed the joke. :beer

It wasn't directed at anyone specifically. It's just that the thread kind of demands the :poop:

Still think a small powered pair of studio monitors for the stereo tonez will yield
the most sonic pleasure. All things considered.
I got two, so that would cover stereo if needed. But honestly my effects are bare bones delay that's built into the Carvin so I can stay "VERY portable" and not carry a pedalboard or multieffects unit.

Last edited:
Powered speakers are just like the guitar market- there are a bunch of cheap options that are mostly cruddy with some gems in there. As the price goes up the quality and consistency of the sound gets better.

Actually it’s like the guitar market 20 years ago. More recently, cheap guitar manufacturers have upped the game. I feel like Alto is the powered speaker equivalent of a 1990s Yamaha Pacifica. It’s at the start of improving the lower end of the market.

Last edited:
@molul It is my understanding that some of the Genelec monitor models were originally designed for use in mobile broadcast units (vans).

Pick your size, frequency response and SPL / power here:

Or if you would prefer something a little more cab-like, there is the Bluamps Cubo:

@molul So I do actually have a serious answer to your question.

It is my understanding that some of the Genelec monitor models were originally designed for use in mobile broadcast units (vans).

+1

I'm using a couple of Genelec 8010A at my small room with the Axe-FX. Excellent results 👍

Last edited:
Genelec is a real solid choice. They are built like a tank and have great sound for the size. A single 8010 would be really good if you are just looking to amplify yourself.

If you want stereo, I'd look at those iLoud Micros. They are on sale right now too, $100 off I think. They make a carrying bag too. Both of them combined are the same weight as a single Genelec 8010.

An uber portable rig that would be a lot of fun would be a Strandberg into an HX Stomp into the iLoud Micros.

bam yes GIF

In response to some complaints we've split out the F.R.F.R. / A.I.T.R. discussion to the "watercooler rants" section. Thread is here

Please use this thread for helping the OP with small portable speaker and monitor suggestions.

Please also remember that humor is welcomed on this forum. Some off-topic discussion is normal and adds to the fun. Moving posts like this is not something we usually do. Nonetheless: the signal-to-noise ratio in this thread was way lower than normal.

@molul It is my understanding that some of the Genelec monitor models were originally designed for use in mobile broadcast units (vans).

Or if you would prefer something a little more cab-like, there is the Bluamps Cubo:

+1

I'm using a couple of Genelec 8010A at my small room with the Axe-FX. Excellent results 👍

Genelec is a real solid choice. They are built like a tank and have great sound for the size. A single 8010 would be really good if you are just looking to amplify yourself.

If you want stereo, I'd look at those iLoud Micros. They are on sale right now too, $100 off I think. They make a carrying bag too. Both of them combined are the same weight as a single Genelec 8010.

An uber portable rig that would be a lot of fun would be a Strandberg into an HX Stomp into the iLoud Micros.
^^^Yes, Genelacs are an excellent choice! Very good sound from a small package. They are a little heavy for their size. My 1029As weigh 16 to 17 pounds apiece. Still would consider them portable though.

20221112_213935.jpg

If you're looking for a very portable, battery powered solution that can get very loud and is relatively flat, the MiniRig is a good choice.

It's one of the better consumer level Bluetooth speakers with low latency via a wired input by design. Very long battery life. Very portable and robust. 40 watts.

Software/firmware is a bit wonky. Perhaps the latest MiniRig 4 has that all sorted

1710708421649.png

For guitar, it's pretty good. Amazing sound when focused on a single spot (personal monitor). Can fill a room or use outdoors (even better with something behind it to reflect sound). There's an eq setting for LOUD.

To be clear this is a one driver solution (you can add more units and/or their sub) that won't pass deep analysis. Some say they perform as good or better than many small studio monitors at the sub $300-500 price point per pair.

It's not going to replace a CLR, PA, high end monitors, and other devices that are large, heavy, and more expensive ... but you may not need that in all situations. This fits in a gig bag, weighs less than some pedals, is a useful tool for casual situations.

YMMV.

Back