Advice On Audio Interface Purchase

norminal

Rock Star
I’ll admit, I’m pretty dumb when it comes to recording. I like to keep it simple, which is why I typically use the interface built-into my modelers to record tracks to my DAW.

That said, it’s time to upgrade to something more capable. Here are my requirements:

• Ability to record three tracks (stereo signal from a modeler plus a DI) simultaneously, while monitoring other tracks.
  • Mic pre with phantom power
  • USB-C / USB 3.0
  • Budget is up to $300
There are sooo many options in this price range. I’ve been looking at the Audient id4 MKII or id14 MKII. Not sure if it will do the job.

Anyone have any recommendations?

If you have either the FM9 or Axe III, all you would need is a mic preamp and you could continue using the modeler as interface! Both have 8inx8out.

You could go for:

(refurb here with spdif)

(2 inputs on the back for the modeller)

Sale dealio, a bit cheaper:

and likewise, these have great specs and would probably be my pick:

There is so much competition for these that there's tons of choice. Itll all be much of a muchness for you I think.

Something to keep in mind is at that price they won't likely come with SPDIF i/O if that is important to you.

For MOTU you would need to go to the M5 to get SPDIF and it's a few hundred more.

I’ll admit, I’m pretty dumb when it comes to recording. I like to keep it simple, which is why I typically use the interface built-into my modelers to record tracks to my DAW.

That said, it’s time to upgrade to something more capable. Here are my requirements:

• Ability to record three tracks (stereo signal from a modeler plus a DI) simultaneously, while monitoring other tracks.
  • Mic pre with phantom power
  • USB-C / USB 3.0
  • Budget is up to $300
There are sooo many options in this price range. I’ve been looking at the Audient id4 MKII or id14 MKII. Not sure if it will do the job.

Anyone have any recommendations?
Mac or PC? DAW?

I find it pretty easy in Logic to swap between modeler and interface as input with interface always used for output. Use the interface as input only when recording mics or if I’m fine just capturing the analog out of modeler. If I want to snag both processed and fry guitar signals I switch the input over to the modeler.

I’ve had plenty of luck with the Behringer stuff on Mac. Not necessarily the best latency performance, but the instrument inputs are at least fairly decent, and latency is fine for tracking for me.

Currently using a UAD Apollo Solo and…kinda hate it.

I went toward the high end on the one I have now and I couldn't be happier with it. The one I bought has gone up $200 in price in the last 2 years. That surprised me. I would say buy whatever RME you can afford. They make drivers for their stuff longer than any other manufacturer I have seen out there. You will get many years of use out of it. It will cost you more up front but will be worth it in the long run. I bought mine based on a recommendation of someone that runs a professional studio. I am really glad he gave me the recommendation.

Another vote for the Motu M4, I've had mine for a while now. It's a very clean interface, good converters, really low latency, it has a nice full color LED screen for monitoring levels, and it has great controls too. It's built really well, rugged knobs that turn super smooth, solid body. And powered via USB.

Wow! Thank you for all the input guys!

The Motu M4 looks nice, but I’m wondering if I’d be better off with something USB 3.0 capable, which is why I was looking at the Audient. The MOTU appears to be USB 2.0z Low latency is at the top of my list. Is USB 3.0 overrated for my application?

USB 2 vs 3 should make no difference in latency, latency has more to do with the drivers and the device itself.

Plenty of more expensive interfaces with excellent low latency performance still use USB 2

I have an Audient id4 MKII. I use it for vocals exclusively. Everything else is on board interface (FM9, synths) or patched into my UA Apollo x6 via a patchbay. Apple aggregate device is used when I need to combine the two or more interfaces.

Wow! Thank you for all the input guys!

The Motu M4 looks nice, but I’m wondering if I’d be better off with something USB 3.0 capable, which is why I was looking at the Audient. The MOTU appears to be USB 2.0z Low latency is at the top of my list. Is USB 3.0 overrated for my application?

I don't know 2 vs 3 but the Motu is super low latency for me. I personally did not like using Helix Native or NDSP plugins with my old interface but with the Motu it's like 1ms latency, not very noticeable for me.

I know when I was shopping for one, it was top of the recommendations, I bought it, very happy with it. Although I will say I am interested in the M6 as an upgrade because I want to run more inputs in the rear (don't we all) and want the standalone power bit too.

If you want SPDIF I/O, which is convenient for using modelers with a single audio interface, then your options narrow a lot. I've kept my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen for so long because it feels difficult to find a suitable replacement without losing some features.

Out of MirrorProfiles' options, I'd go for the refurb Scarlett 8i6 3rd gen for a no-nonsense option with enough I/O to grow with your needs.

If you have either the FM9 or Axe III, all you would need is a mic preamp and you could continue using the modeler as interface! Both have 8inx8out.
The problem with this is the modelers regardless of brand tend to have poor tools for managing their audio interface functionality, with somewhat fixed signal routing, are locked into a single sample rate and so on.

For the price and if you want SPDIF and 2 HP outs it looks like the Native 6 Mk2 is pretty tough to beat. $179 now on Sweetwater.

I really wish MOTU included SPDIF on their lower priced models I don't need 6+ on the I/O side.

ETA: 1 Left currently at Amazon for 159.95, more on the way hopefully at same price.

Last edited:
Back