Line 6 Helix Family Firmware Update Thread

Fireproof

Shredder
HELIX 3.5 is out!

line6.com

Line 6

Create, record and perform with guitar in new ways.
line6.com
line6.com

Helix/HX 3.50 (released November 3, 2022) includes 24 new cabs running on an all new cab engine, 5 new amps, 7 new effects, new features, additional improvements, and bug fixes, and is strongly recommended for all users.

How do I update to 3.50?

IMPORTANT! The 3.50 update process may take 30 MINUTES OR MORE TO COMPLETE. This is totally normal, as it includes significant improvements to Helix Core and thousands of IR files.

Updating Helix/HX Hardware

1. With Helix/HX connected to your computer, launch HX Edit (3.01 or higher), and make sure you're signed in. HX Edit knows when a new update is available and will walk you through the entire update procedure for both hardware and software, including backing up everything to your computer. IMPORTANT! If you're running HX Edit 3.00 or older, download HX Edit 3.50 and repeat step 1.
  2. Helix Floor/Rack/LT only: Halfway through the update to 3.50, Helix's LCD reads "Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode!" THIS IS NORMAL. Breathe deep, everything is fine. You're almost there.
    • MoveAlong.jpg.178f5fc3b9e6bdeec47d4a5935e47444.jpg
    • HX Edit will display a message indicating the device must be reset. Click resume and wait for the second part of the update to complete.
  3. Perform a factory reset. IMPORTANT!MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP FIRST, AS A FACTORY RESET WILL ERASE ALL YOUR WORK!
    • Helix Floor/LT: While holding footswitches 9 & 10 (bottom row, 2 middle switches), turn on Helix Floor/LT
    • Helix Rack: While holding knobs 5 & 6 (2 furthest right knobs below the screen), turn on Helix Rack
    • HX Effects: While holding footswitches 6 & TAP (2 farthest right switches on the bottom row), turn on HX Effects
    • HX Stomp: While holding footswitches 2 & 3, turn on HX Stomp
    • HX Stomp XL: While holding footswitches C & D, turn on HX Stomp
  4. OPTIONAL: Performing a factory reset loads the new 3.50 Factory Presets, but restoring from your backup will overwrite these. Spend some time exploring these and export the factory presets you want to keep (or drag them to your desktop). If you have unused setlists in Helix Floor/Rack/LT, you can also export the entire FACTORY 1 bundle for loading into an unused setlist later.
  5. From the top File menu, select Restore From Backup... If you don't have any important presets in Setlist 1, click the disclosure triangle next to Presets and uncheck the first setlist's box; this will retain 3.50's FACTORY 1 setlist. Select the backup file created in Step 1 and click Restore Backup.
NOTE: Presets created in 3.50 are not compatible with earlier firmware versions.

I updated but why don't I see [Model X] in HX Edit?

HX Edit can't magically pull new model names and graphics from your Helix/HX hardware; you must update HX Edit as well (which you would've done had you followed "How do I update to 3.50?" above).

My Helix/HX is at version X.XX. Can I go straight to 3.50?

Yes, but note that if you're starting from 2.80 or lower, the update will appear to happen twice and will take notably longer than 30 minutes. This is normal.

All New Cab Engine/New Cabs in 3.50

Helix Floor, Helix Rack, Helix LT, Helix Native, HX Stomp, HX Stomp XL

image.png

Thousands of impulses were captured with Sound Design's all new IR capture system and consolidated into 20 guitar cabs and 4 bass cabs. As such, cab subcategories have been updated:

• Single—One new cab
  • Dual—Two new cabs
  • Legacy Single—One older Hybrid cab
  • Legacy Dual—Two older Hybrid cabs
Amp+Cab subcategories have been updated as well:

• Guitar—Guitar Amp+new cab
  • Bass—Bass Amp+new cab
  • Guitar+Legacy—Guitar Amp+older Hybrid cab
  • Bass+Legacy—Bass Amp+older Hybrid cab

With Cab > Dual blocks, you can now also choose whether changing the first cab automatically recalls a matching cab for the second.

1. From the Global Settings menu, select the Preferences page.
  2. Press PAGE> until you see Link Dual Cabs. When set to "On" (default), changing the first cab automatically loads a matching cab for the second. Choose this option if you want to emulate the sound of two different mics (or two of the same mic with different angles or positions) on the same cab. When set to "Off," both cabs are completely independent of one another.
  3. Alternatively, in HX Edit (and Helix Native), click the Link Dual Cabs icon. Off (left) and On (right):

Cab_Link.jpg

Go to the site to see all the cool stuff - it’s too much to post here…

I'm switching back from Quad Cortex to HX Stomp XL. Mostly for redundancy. I can't afford two QC units but I do have two HX Stomp XL units. They sound close enough. Will do the firmware update and give the new cabs a try!

I'm switching back from Quad Cortex to HX Stomp XL. Mostly for redundancy. I can't afford two QC units but I do have two HX Stomp XL units. They sound close enough. Will do the firmware update and give the new cabs a try!

I went that route myself. I won't lie and say i wouldn't like more horsepower in the Stomp XL, but there's plenty available on tap (particularly after fw 3.50) and, tone-wise, Helix trades blows with NDSP, Fractal and the likes.

The form factor is just sooooo good...

Last edited:
I went that route myself. I won't lie and say i wouldn't like more horsepower in the Stomp XL, but there's plenty available (particularly after fw 3.50) and, tone-wise, Helix trades blows with NDSP, Fractal and the likes.

The form factor is just sooooo good...
Yeah for me (P&W scene playing bass, acoustic and electric) I missed the HX series ambient stuff too much. Particleverb, Octoverb, etc.... And yes the form factor is fantastic on the Stomp XL.

3.5 was/is awesome. Another huge update. I'd imagine the next one wont be out for a while but am looking forward to whatever they come up with.

I really can't think of much more I would add beyond maybe an entirely new unit with more dsp or like a really good looper if were being picky but for what it is they really have maximized and improved it so much since the launch. Its really like night and day.

Amp wise I'd like to see the verellen skyhammer and loucks and from science the decolinizer and mother.

How about a dual amp block that is like the dual cab block?

More wild and crazy type of effects. I'm always game for that stuff. The weirder the better.

What about the power tube emulation / being able to swap them within the amp block?

Keep adding artist presets too. I actually dig those. The ones Misha did are great.

DI said more cabs coming, but probably the next thing they should work on is to improve and rework some or all of the amps
just so you know folks will stop saying how the amps in The QC are better :D
Joking aside there is still room to improve the tones in the amps
Name it Something like Zenith 1.0

:guiness

DI said more cabs coming, but probably the next thing they should work on is to improve and rework some or all of the amps
just so you know folks will stop saying how the amps in The QC are better :D
Joking aside there is still room to improve the tones in the amps
Name it Something like Zenith 1.0

:guiness
How many actual amps are even in the QC?

Amp models. Not captures.

85 amp channels as of 1.4 (which will probably go past 90 once 2.0 drops) - which is the same standard everybody uses.

But if we're talking distinct amps, that drops precipitously to 29. A lot of the 85 are just spammy "Normal/Bright/Jumped/Patch" variants of the same amp. There are 8 "different" Mesa Lonestars, 8 "different" Fender Tweeds, etc.....

85 amp channels as of 1.4 (which will probably go past 90 once 2.0 drops) - which is the same standard everybody uses.

But if we're talking distinct amps, that drops precipitously to 29. A lot of the 85 are just spammy "Normal/Bright/Jumped/Patch" variants of the same amp. There are 8 "different" Mesa Lonestars, 8 "different" Fender Tweeds, etc.....

Yeah they’d be well served to diversify their model list. Add an ENGL, Orange, plus the IIC. Adding a 37th Fender clean (Approximately 36 more than needed) or AC15 (Which was a good model btw, but unnecessary at the time with the AC30 already there) didn’t help diversify the core tones you could pull out of it. If they want to go back to the well then do the JVM to finish the Marshall line. Imo

Was thinking it had so much more than the HX Stomp XL but in reality, I'm getting less done during gigs and I have no redundancy if anything goes wrong. I guess I bought into the hype. I mean the amps are great but it's nothing I can't match very closely with the HX Stomp XL.

What do you mean by getting less done during a gig?

D

Well so far the switch back to two HX Stomp XL units (one as a backup) has been great. I used it for acoustic at rehearsal last night and it worked very well. Do I wish it had the flexibility of the QC? Sure. But for 99% of the stuff we do, it's totally fine. The new cabs are incredible. I don't use separate IRs anymore.

Well so far the switch back to two HX Stomp XL units (one as a backup) has been great. I used it for acoustic at rehearsal last night and it worked very well. Do I wish it had the flexibility of the QC? Sure. But for 99% of the stuff we do, it's totally fine. The new cabs are incredible. I don't use separate IRs anymore.
78zqqt.jpg

That’s awesome. Love that you are finding the Cabs so good that you aren’t using IRs. I’ve updated my Stomp XL to 3.5, but haven’t even had a chance to really check it out (damn day job + trying to launch a new company at night / on weekends).

Back