Lets talk sennheiser 609/906

spawnofthesith

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
So most venues around here are using one or the other of these. I like a lot. I prefer them by a significant margin to 57s. Dead simple to get a great tone in under a minute. I'd like to grab one for the rehearsal space because I'm pretty tired of the lame tones in the in ears I've been getting from whatever vocal mic my drummer has that I've been micing cabs up with. I've been running my captor and an IR loader recently for the IEM mix and thats kind of ok but also kind of meh

So anyway, from what I'm reading online, the current production silver 609s are NOT the same as the previous black ones, and are in fact, supposed to be closer to a 57? I would want to avoid that, so I've been looking at older black used 609s but those seem like they're going for a lot of money. Is the 906 as good as the black 609? Should I just snag one of those?

I have an E906 and like it. I find all 3 tone settings useful. My understanding is the original mic in the lineage is the MD409. The shape is shared by the E609 black and silver but I don't know if the insides have much relation. I like the flat and attenuated presence settings of the E906 the best.

I typically back off the cab about 1" because the proximity effect is a bit much for me.

I have one, but I haven't used it in so long, I forget which one it is. I did really like it, but since I've switched to a Friedman Mic-No-Mo, I don't use it at all. The MNM is so quick and easy and sounds fantastic, to my ears (although I’ve read it's based on a 57, so maybe you wouldn’t like it?) Also, my use is just for a bit of guitar reinforcement in the mains.

Last edited:
Someone doesn't like a 57. Too middy?? :sofa

:LOL:

I feel like the Sennheisers can be a bit dark. Maybe that
is why they can sound fairly decent draped right over the
center of the cone. :idk

The gig we did in June the company that provided the
backline used 609s on all the guitar cabs. They are staples
for a reason. No experience with the 906.

Last edited:
Someone doesn't like a 57. Too middy?? :sofa

:lol

I feel like the Sennheisers can be a bit dark. Maybe that
is why they can sound fairly decent draped right over the
center of the cone. :idk

The gig we did in June the company that provided the
backline used 609s on all the guitar cabs. They are staples
for a reason. No experience with the 906.

I don't dislike 57s I'm just lazy and not fond of fiddling with cab micing, and have been a particular fan of both the ease of use and sound from the Sennheiser's

Paired together is killer.

maxresdefault.jpg

Back