Let’s talk mixers

SS6TOP.png

This kinda went over unnoticed, so I'll try again with a pic.
:wheresthepics

https://franklinaud.io/products/ss-6-stereo-input-switcher-direct-box?

That looks awesome. :unsure:

I’ll thrown the Audient EVO 16 into the mix. 8 analog plus 2 optical IN and OUT. Built in mixer, but you will need to connect a computer to change the mix. If you need more inputs add an SP8 using ADAT optical.

I am an idiot (and I own an EVO 16 so I should know) - my excuse is that I always use it connected to a computer.

You need to connect a computer to change the "Standalone State" setup such as routing/pan, but you can change gain and mute using the controls on the front of the unit at any time. And set the volume for main outs and both Headphones independently

You can also set a function button on the front to A/B switch speakers (or -18dB DIM or Mono or Talkback)

The ability to use it as a standalone mixer was one of my justifications, I just haven't dusted off the Keyboards yet. Helix connects using SP/DIF (with an adaptor to optical)

I overlooked that little kernel of info.

giphy.gif

groundhog day suicide GIF

Well to be clear, you can still adjust master volume going out to your monitors and you can change the volume on each modeler as well using what ever volume knobs they have on them. If you've already ordered one, just try it out and see how it works for you in practice.

Well to be clear, you can still adjust master volume going out to your monitors and you can change the volume on each modeler as well using what ever volume knobs they have on them. If you've already ordered one, just try it out and see how it works for you in practice.

Yeah but you have to use a computer up to change which input it reads in stand alone mode. Ask me how I know. :ROFLMAO:

How about something like the Mackie Mix8 for around $100?

View attachment 12915
If you need more inputs, you can check out a Mix12FX for $150.

View attachment 12916

Has enough I/O. :unsure:

My local GC has the Tascam 12 in stock that @Moondog Wily and @la szum use. I’m thinking of going and taking a look at that this weekend.

Unless I can find an Audio Interface with enough IO that doesn’t require an editor to change inputs in Stand Alone operation. (And doesn’t cost a $3k lol) :bag

Unless I can find an Audio Interface with enough IO that doesn’t require an editor to change inputs in Stand Alone operation. (And doesn’t cost a $3k lol) :bag
Sorry that you're having a rough time with this. I have 2 Focusrite interfaces in my closet (18i20 and a Clarett4Pre) I could test if you like just for comparison sake.

Holy shit that’s expensive.
It is, and honestly I'd probably DIY something similar.
OTOH, a Radial Stereo JDI alone is 450 bucks in my neck of the woods.
Good rotary switches aren't penny goods, either.
Throw in a nice enclosure, a bag of neutrik connectors and the labor time to drill and solder and finish the box and you will not end up far off.
I know that it's not overly sexy to buy a small box with wire for the price of a Helix Stomp, but I'm not exactly sure what part of the equation is truly mind boggling...

Like I said in my previous post, I use an Allen and Heath Zed 24 that I picked up used and in 9/10 condition for $350. I do wish it had a solo feature in addition to the PFL and I wish the line level inputs had XLR, but otherwise I am very happy with it. Being able to use any of my input devices and output devices in any combination without a PC is great.

Just plug the USB into the computer when you want to record, and the monitors into whatever device you want at a given time. Of course you can’t switch between devices without a quick change, but it’s not really much effort to plug things in and out under casual circumstances.

Stupid question, I know, but isn’t it possible to just activate ALL inputs in stand alone mode?
Yes it should. I’ve got the 1st gen 18i8 and I’ve been using it to submix my Helix and a few synths (which then goes to HX Stomp which acts my audio interface :D). You just have to decide which inputs to run mono as stereo pairs etc using the software - I just set them up as 4 stereo pairs and have them all active and set input levels from the individual units.

Soundcraft UI24r. Can be used standalone as 24 channel multitrack recorder with a USB stick and/or also as a 32 channel interface if you so wished. Studer pre-amps, 4u rack sized built in wifi and web server which means no external router needed to connect wirelessly. Excellent built in Lexicon reverbs. They even have a LIVE DEMO where you can see what the UI is like.

Super easy to use (but you can get crazy complex if you wanted) and not super expensive. Soundcraft/Harman knocked it out of the park with it. I love mine to death.
This is a great option, as the mixer hardware is rack mounted and compact, and can be interfaced with a smart phone or tablet if required.
If used for live work, you can preset all your connections and mix levels, and run just the hardware.

Ui24R-front_original.jpg

I have a second Gen 18i20. Once you set up the routing in the control app you don't have to touch it again unless you want to change something. Not as straightforward as a mixer, but better for tracking (that's why I bought it) compared to the 1 channel and 4 channel little Behringer Xenyx mixers I have (similar to ones posted here). I don't use those as much but they come in handy.

Edited to add that you don't need a computer running or connected after setting up the routing in the 18i20 Gen2 - I shut off my Mac and still get audio through all of the I/O I routed beforehand.

Last edited:
Back