Let’s talk mixers

I have an Allen & Heath Zed Sixty 14FX and can vouch for the quality and utility of the Zed series of mixers. I found mine really cheap on ebay around 8 years ago.

Back in the day I used a Rocktron "Rack Interface" that included a patchbay, a line mixer, and even a remote wah. I'm not sure if there is a similar product available today.

:beer

A patchbay is going to be your most affordable and flexible option. A mixer is cool too, especially if you want to use the eq and impart some character before hitting your interface.

Yes, or you could connect the QC or FM3 to the SPDIF in.

The Focusrite Control software would let you build different mixes for outputs 1/2 and 3/4, basically toggling which analog inputs are monitored.

I’d like to avoid using any software at all. (For default usage) Is this a one time setup in the Control software, or something I’d have to toggle on a per-use basis? Ideally I don’t want to be forced to fire up the computer unless I’m specifically try to do something in a DAW or use one of the modelers editors.

A real mixer is the only sensible way to be both ‘everything connected’ and ‘no need for computer’ when the computer isn’t wanted for recording or other chores. Want to walk in, flip the power strip on and all devices are waiting for you then get a mixer.
Want to not even need to plug your instrument cable in and out of the different devices? Then also get something like the Lehle 1 at 3

If you can afford to do so, I’d recommend getting an 8 in/8 out interface with additional SPDIF and ADAT, and also a patchbay. Then you have SO much flexibility to do anything and adapt easily in the future.
100%. If you like your Focusrite, they make the 18i8, which has ADAT lightpipe in. Then you can snag a cheap or used ADAT A/D converter to get an additional 8 inputs. Keeping all your stuff connected at once is SOOO much more flexible and easy to recall, especially when working on multiple projects at once.

But I absolutely loathe patch bays, so YMMV.
I don’t want to be forced to fire up the computer unless I’m specifically try to do something in a DAW or use one of the modelers editors.
EDIT: Ah, never mind; missed this. Disregard. In that case, anything but B£#®!n&£®.

Last edited:
But I absolutely loathe patch bays, so YMMV.
Curious why? They’re a sort of necessary evil but once they’re set up life is infinitely easier. Going behind racks of gear sucks ass and basically any rack gear with connections in the rear is sort of assuming that it’ll get hooked up to a patchbay. Combining gear together freely and quickly is amazing. Having lots of I/O is also good but patchbays still facilitate certain things quickly without having to rely on software to mult or route things to multiple places (and without latency)

Curious why? They’re a sort of necessary evil but once they’re set up life is infinitely easier. Going behind racks of gear sucks ass and basically any rack gear with connections in the rear is sort of assuming that it’ll get hooked up to a patchbay. Combining gear together freely and quickly is amazing. Having lots of I/O is also good but patchbays still facilitate certain things quickly without having to rely on software to mult or route things to multiple places (and without latency)
Oh, I'm not suggesting they suck for everyone; they just suck for me. I would much rather be able to launch any DAW project and have every single piece of gear in the studio be routed exactly where it needs to go, complete with gain staging. So I suppose a digitally-controlled patchbay with DAW plugin recall would suffice as well, but they're pricey.

I’d like to avoid using any software at all. (For default usage) Is this a one time setup in the Control software, or something I’d have to toggle on a per-use basis? Ideally I don’t want to be forced to fire up the computer unless I’m specifically try to do something in a DAW or use one of the modelers editors.
Unless you plan to have more than one pair of monitors connected to the thing, there would be no need for this kind of toggling.

Some places where a mixer can have advantages over an interface:

If you plan to adjust the volume of the various devices relative to one another at the mixer/audio interface, then a mixer has some advantages -- especially if it has enough stereo channels to handle all modelers that you want to connect to it in stereo. If all you want is a thing that can allow a bunch of modelers to be connected in parallel to the same set of monitors and you'll use the output level of the modeler itself to handle controlling the relative volume of one modeler to another...then there's really no difference between a non-bus-powered audio interface and a mixer. For that purpose, the audio interface IS a mixer, but one that only has the ability to further boost the level of any incoming signal, not trim it down to silence.

Unless you plan to have more than one pair of monitors connected to the thing,

One pair of monitors. (Would be cool to have another output that I could run to something else like a poweramp or "FRFR" if I wanted to, but that would never be at the same time, and if it’s going to complicate matters I’ll stick to one set of monitors lol)

If you plan to adjust the volume of the various devices relative to one another at the mixer/audio interface, then a mixer has some advantages -- especially if it has enough stereo channels to handle all modelers that you want to connect to it in stereo. If all you want is a thing that can allow a bunch of modelers to be connected in parallel to the same set of monitors and you'll use the output level of the modeler itself to handle controlling the relative volume of one modeler to another...then there's really no difference between a non-bus-powered audio interface and a mixer. For that purpose, the audio interface IS a mixer, but one that only has the ability to further boost the level of any incoming signal, not trim it down to silence.

I can’t ever imagine running multiple modelers/devices concurrently. So I just need something that can take stereo inputs from multiple devices, and simply produce stereo output from the one source that I happen to have on at that given moment. (Preferably without being forced to turn on a computer)

For recording I could just leave a usb cord connected to computer and then plug it in to whatever device I’m using at the time, and have the daw configured to route audio back out via whatever mystery device my monitors are plugged in to. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I can’t ever imagine running multiple modelers/devices concurrently.
I love running the AxeFX3 and Helix floor to inputs 1 & 2 of a pair of CLR Neo wedges. I then use a Lehle p-split to send my guitar output to both modelers

So much fun and it sounds GLORIOUS :chef

Last edited:
One pair of monitors. (Would be cool to have another output that I could run to something else like a poweramp or "FRFR" if I wanted to, but that would never be at the same time, and if it’s going to complicate matters I’ll stick to one set of monitors lol)

I can’t ever imagine running multiple modelers/devices concurrently. So I just need something that can take stereo inputs from multiple devices, and simply produce stereo output from the one source that I happen to have on at that given moment. (Preferably without being forced to turn on a computer)

For recording I could just leave a usb cord connected to computer and then plug it in to whatever device I’m using at the time, and have the daw configured to route audio back out via whatever mystery device my monitors are plugged in to. :ROFLMAO:
I find it easier to just plug the second output of the modeler into the power amp -- I've run into less ground-loop problems going that way, and less confusion on my end.

Monday morning moron diagram, but is this sort of what youre saying with the 8i6?

View attachment 12545

Here's how I'd envision this working - FM3 plugged in via SPIDIF IN, QC plugged into 3/4, IRX plugged into input 5. If you enable direct monitoring for these inputs, you'll be able to play through the 8i6 without a computer without an issue.

You can have the line outputs connected to your power amp/cab and monitors, however the giant volume knob on the front will control all outputs equally, IIRC. Maybe that can be changed via Focusrite Control. Page 18 of this PDF talks about standalone mode and Focusrite Control and some of the routing you can do with it.

This audio interface is able to work in "Standalone Mode" while the computer is off, however you're not able to change any settings while the computer is disconnected.

There are quite a few interfaces on the market that can operate in standalone mode, some with more direct monitor/output controls than Focusrite offers for theirs. The prices vary from inexpensive to exorbitant but I still maintain that a single audio interface should be able to do what you're wanting to do. It just depends on what kinds of functions do you want while working in standalone mode. My RME Fireface UCX II has a ton of input/output controls accessible from the front panel, for example. Having to hook up a switcher or an external mixer for a pretty simple thing like this would make me wanna hang myself.

Okay, I won the thread.

Last edited:
The MOTU Ultralite MK5 has a ton of line ins and outs and a full stand alone mixer (controlled by computer or iPad). I use mine for something similar, but I also have it racked up with a full patch bay because overkill. 😊

-Aaron

The MOTU Ultralite MK5 has a ton of line ins and outs and a full stand alone mixer (controlled by computer or iPad). I use mine for something similar, but I also have it racked up with a full patch bay because overkill. 😊

-Aaron

I resent you stealing my first name.

-Aaron

PS: @Whizzinby, since I decided that I won the thread, you can reward me by featuring my stupid face in a Modeling Wars episode. Maybe I'm some Fractal fanboi that self-immolates because of a niche feature request that's never implemented.

Here's how I'd envision this working - FM3 plugged in via SPIDIF IN, QC plugged into 3/4, IRX plugged into input 5. If you enable direct monitoring for these inputs, you'll be able to play through the 8i6 without a computer without an issue.

You can have the line outputs connected to your power amp/cab and monitors, however the giant volume knob on the front will control all outputs equally, IIRC. Maybe that can be changed via Focusrite Control. Page 18 of this PDF talks about standalone mode and Focusrite Control and some of the routing you can do with it.

This audio interface is able to work in "Standalone Mode" while the computer is off, however you're not able to change any settings while the computer is disconnected.

There are quite a few interfaces on the market that can operate in standalone mode, some with more direct monitor/output controls than Focusrite offers for theirs. The prices vary from inexpensive to exorbitant but I still maintain that a single audio interface should be able to do what you're wanting to do. It just depends on what kinds of functions do you want while working in standalone mode. My RME Fireface UCX II has a ton of input/output controls accessible from the front panel, for example. Having to hook up a switcher or an external mixer for a pretty simple thing like this would make me wanna hang myself.

Okay, I won the thread.

Going to try the 8i6. :beer

Low cost way to see if the interface approach works out, and it will keep me from looking at the more ridiculously expensive interfaces that I have been all morning. :ROFLMAO:

I’ll thrown the Audient EVO 16 into the mix. 8 analog plus 2 optical IN and OUT. Built in mixer, but you will need to connect a computer to change the mix. If you need more inputs add an SP8 using ADAT optical.

I was thinking of this issue too, as I’ve got the Cractal, my UA interface, and then eventually a Stomp next year, as well as wanting to plug iOS apps into my monitors too, to play around with.

It’s a pain in the ass having to micromanage all the connections. Im hopeful this cuts down on all the tedious work just to fire something up.

I’m about halfway into getting everything hooked back up, but my gawd the wire management is going to test my OCD and patience. :ROFLMAO:

SS6TOP.png

This kinda went over unnoticed, so I'll try again with a pic.
:wheresthepics

https://franklinaud.io/products/ss-6-stereo-input-switcher-direct-box?

Back