Leon Todd

Imagine how tough that '89-'91 period was when you are trying to repurpose yourself and your career,
and get out of the hairspray and makeup and then Grunge happens, and the Black album drops. Holy
f**k!

At one point my two favourite albums, that I listened to daily, were Facelift and Wicked Sensation.
Good music and playing is good music and playing. 😊
I'm shocked we got this far into that line of thought for Facelift to come up. I think that album directly helped kill hair metal far more that Nirvana did.

Last edited:
I'm shocked we got this far into that line of thought for Facelift to come up. I think that album directly helped kill hair metal far more that Nirvana did.

I think we can all agree that Hair Metal overdosed and
pretty much killed itself. :LOL:

I concur with Jive that it had run its course. If it wasn't
going to be Grunge it was going to be something else
that came along to fill the vapid void it left behind.

That said, I unequivocally adore a lot of music from that
era . I was not so much a fan of the aesthetic of that time,
though.

I think we can all agree that Hair Metal overdosed and
pretty much killed itself. :LOL:

I concur with Jive that it had run its course. If it wasn't
going to be Grunge it was going to be something else
that came along to fill the vapid void it left behind.

That said, I unequivocally adore a lot of music from that
era . I was not so much a fan of the aesthetic of that time,
though.
Solution is obviously just to stick with the first 2 or 3 Dokken and Ratt records :D

I'll make this all about myself and add that I've had at least 2 people tell me at shows "I never liked grunge but you guys have a bit of that sound and I like it" and at least 3 tell me "I never liked hair metal but you guys have a bit of that sound and I like it". At least one of each of those people was my Dad. Still counts right?

I'll make this all about myself and add that I've had at least 2 people tell me at shows "I never liked grunge but you guys have a bit of that sound and I like it" and at least 3 tell me "I never liked hair metal but you guys have a bit of that sound and I like it". At least one of each of those people was my Dad. Still counts right?

Years ago, I think when the Mark V was released, I was at a Guitar Center trying one out and as I was playing the first heavy riff in “Pull Me Under” the salesman said “This amp really works for your death metal style.” :rofl

Leon, I’ve commented this on a couple of your videos before too - I seriously hate the current music market for guitarists. If you want to be a name in music right now, you have to basically be a salesman for gear companies and you’re selling gear more than you’re selling yourself or your own music.

As a result I try to support YouTubers in their music - checking out Feared for Ola, Ragdoll for you, Adam Neely’s work, etc., but I’d love to know from your perspective as someone who’s made a bit of a living off of it how you feel about this. Your gear videos get 10x the views of your music videos, and it seems we’re all more interested in gear than music, which IMO is kinda sad.

@2112, AKA Leon, Did you ever get a chance to source a Boss GT-Pro? Would like to see what your thoughts were on it.
Definitely on the radar. One of my mates in high school had the GT6 which was the envy of our entire music class. The SE70 I snagged recently has been really enjoyable though.

@Desertdweller I really appreciate you taking the time to check out the music. I'm at peace with the fact most people who watch what I do on YouTube either aren't aware I make original music or simply don't care/don't like it.

The nice thing about my channel and my original music is I'm not dependent on it to make a living, so they both operate as passion projects that I'm able to pursue for my own self gratification. Making videos is a creative process I enjoy, in a similar way that making music is.

Definitely on the radar. One of my mates in high school had the GT6 which was the envy of our entire music class. The SE70 I snagged recently has been really enjoyable though.

@Desertdweller I really appreciate you taking the time to check out the music. I'm at peace with the fact most people who watch what I do on YouTube either aren't aware I make original music or simply don't care/don't like it.

The nice thing about my channel and my original music is I'm not dependent on it to make a living, so they both operate as passion projects that I'm able to pursue for my own self gratification. Making videos is a creative process I enjoy, in a similar way that making music is.
Ahh - so there’s an “ask me anything“ question for you. If music and videos are passion projects, then what do you do to earn a living? I always assumed it was the prior two things…

Seriously; you make some of the best gear videos there are. Great ear for tone, killer playing and presentation :chef:beer

@2112 - love seeing the shout-out for Steinbergers in your video. Have you seriously not ever played a real one?

I'm still gigging a GL2TA that I got new way back in the '80s. They're great guitars...but very different from just about everything else out there.

@Fireproof music, just not strictly the original stuff. I teach guitar during the week and we do corporate shows and some cover gigs that pay well. Anything we earn from the original stuff goes into finding future recording and touring.

@AuntieDiluvian never had the chance but the more I read about them the more I'm excited to finally try one.

music, just not strictly the original stuff. I teach guitar during the week and we do corporate shows and some cover gigs that pay well. Anything we earn from the original stuff goes into finding future recording and touring.
That's great man! Glad you're able to earn your living completely from music, because you're one of the most well-rounded, easy-going, extremely knowledgeable, great songwriter, and badass guitarists out there that I've seen. There's SO many guys doing similar things that I've only been exposed to via You Tube, that I just can't watch. You seem to strike a real genuine balance between all the things that makes one's content enjoyable.

@TSJMajesty thanks mate. I'm fortunate to have found a niche on YT where I can play greasey licks and make gurny faces.
Keep doing what you’re doing. I was a fan before I even had a FAS device, because you shared a lot of great knowledge and insight that can apply to other modelers as well.

Now that I have the FM9, I’m really geeking out on your vids, LOL.

Keep doing what you’re doing. I was a fan before I even had a FAS device, because you shared a lot of great knowledge and insight that can apply to other modelers as well.

Now that I have the FM9, I’m really geeking out on your vids, LOL.

It's true!!

My best bud owns an Helix and loves watching Leon's channel---especially the Fractal vids. Leon and I are SO close to
flipping him to the dark side. :LOL:

Back