Just got "fired" from the new band

The last band I was let go from told me I have too much output and they wanted to work slower overall. The exact quote that I’ll never forget, “You work too fast and we like to take our time shaping the songs” which translates to “We like to get f*cked up at practice and can’t remember how to play what we just wrote, so writing takes us a month for a 3.5 minute verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus song.”

I was doing double duty at that point so I was completely fine leaving that one behind. They never got out of the practice space after that.

Man, PLAY THE GAME. Of COURSE you’ll be happy to fill in. Just let them know you dont leave the house under 500 and you get paid before you go on. They just may pay if they’re hungry enough to play. Had a band do a door deal ask me to fill in. I named my price, they said fine. My price was a little more than they pulled in at the door. They paid, that was it. They wanted to play. I didn’t ask to.

Man, PLAY THE GAME. Of COURSE you’ll be happy to fill in. Just let them know you dont leave the house under 500 and you get paid before you go on. They just may pay if they’re hungry enough to play. Had a band do a door deal ask me to fill in. I named my price, they said fine. My price was a little more than they pulled in at the door. They paid, that was it. They wanted to play. I didn’t ask to.
In my line of work, we used to say that the answer to everything was “yes”. All it took was, my time and their money.

For real’s combat pays extra…

Pay Me GIF

Damn, sorry Brother! Those kinds of calls can sting ( a little or a lot) regardless of how you
feel about the situation. Never fun dealing with it. :(
I appreciate it but it didn't sting at all, it actually made me feel relief. I had a great day at work today and I'm glad I'll be able to spend more time with my girls. I don't know what I was thinking jumping back into a working band situation with my youngest daughter the age she is - she's a firecracker unlike my first daughter who was a complete angel, which allowed me to maintain a gigging lifestyle. Maybe some jam situations at some point but I like the idea of playing for myself for a little while.

The last band I was let go from told me I have too much output and they wanted to work slower overall. The exact quote that I’ll never forget, “You work too fast and we like to take our time shaping the songs” which translates to “We like to get f*cked up at practice and can’t remember how to play what we just wrote, so writing takes us a month for a 3.5 minute verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus song.”

That, or you like to write simple pop music type of stuff and they're into something more complex. IDK. Some people won't consider writing a song as short as 3.5. :idk

Les Paul gigged into his 90s.

But I guess he didn't had to deal with this nightmare after a gig in BKK
Life as a bedroom player is less stressful
1666359923368.png
1666359783459.png

1666360319438.png

Having said that, few years ago I started rehearsing with a band here in Bangkok, and I was surprised with the quality of the premises and the equipment of the rental rooms for rehearsals. And at cheap rates. I've never seen something like that while I was in Barcelona (Spain). That band was dissolved because we couldn't find a suitable singer and because we could not agree with the repertoire.

Last edited:
That, or you like to write simple pop music type of stuff and they're into something more complex. IDK. Some people won't consider writing a song as short as 3.5. :idk

Yeah, I mean, I’ve got a couple of my own songs that do the standard formula and come in around that time, but those are the songs I’ve written in 30 minutes and spend all of a 3-4 days recording and I’m done. Those dudes were spending actual months on them.

But I guess he didn't had to deal with this nightmare after a gig in BKK
Life as a bedroom player is less stressful
View attachment 1783View attachment 1782
View attachment 1784
Having said that, few years ago I started rehearsing with a band here in Bangkok, and I was surprised with the quality of the premises and the equipment of the rental rooms for rehearsals. And at cheap rates. I've never seen something like that while I was in Barcelona (Spain). That band was dissolved because we couldn't find a suitable singer and because we could not agree with the repertoire.
If that's worse than NYC traffic, its only marginally.

I appreciate it but it didn't sting at all, it actually made me feel relief. I had a great day at work today and I'm glad I'll be able to spend more time with my girls. I don't know what I was thinking jumping back into a working band situation with my youngest daughter the age she is - she's a firecracker unlike my first daughter who was a complete angel, which allowed me to maintain a gigging lifestyle. Maybe some jam situations at some point but I like the idea of playing for myself for a little while.

Glad to hear it. I may have been projecting my own angst and bitterness onto people. :LOL:
That sounds like a really healthy and loving outlook.; Kids are only young once, and that
time is never retrievable if we squander it, is it? I know fellow musicians who need to play
out so bad that they squandered their parental obligations, and their children's well-being
in the process.

Kind of par for the course in the 70s/80s/90s.... but I feel a lot of us have gotten a lot smarter
and realize that is is a super shitty trade-off. :beer

Back