Jumping Back Into The Gig Pool

TJontheRoad

Roadie
TGF Recording Artist
Against my own better judgement :rolleyes:, I've decided to jump back into the gig pool. I've not played out since I quit my last band a few month before the pandemic sh1t hit the fan. I made a few contacts via CL for either playing keys or guitar and/or just singing. First guy I chatted with was very cool. Plays guitar and drums with his feet at the same time. But the music he wanted to play was very old, slow and tired. So, I politely passed on that. Next guy I chatted with was cool but the band just filled the slot the day before. You snooze you loose. Anther guy just wants a singer and maybe guitar. But the first song on the list was Boston's "More Than A Feeling". I told him he was nuts if he thought he could find a local guy who could cover that tune (RIP Brad Delp. Unbelievable voice). That and couple other red flags give me pause to go further there.

Lastly, there is a local dance party band who's keyboardist is moving on elsewhere. This band gigs every weekend. Is booked solid. This is the gig I'd be looking for. Audition is tonight. I had two days to learn 8 songs for the audition. I saw the band play out last Saturday night. I thought they were pretty good but maybe lacked some energy. Guitarist plays a PRS through a FM3. Everything he played was perfect note-for-note cover of the tunes. Girl singer is solid with some stage presence. Male singer was good but not as impressive IMO. Bass player is a 7 foot giant. Dude is freaking huge!!! Drummer is the BL. Nice guy. Solid time keeper but not very exciting otherwise. Hopefully they will see that I can bring some fresh energy to the band.

Wish me luck :)

Best of luck, TJ!!! Auditions are fun. :banana

I enjoy being put in a place that is challenging and not inside my comfort zone. That's
how we grow, right?? :beer

Hope all goes well and its a decent fit for everyone!

Auditions mostly SUCK horse dinky :barf

I loath the whole process. Go to some strange place where the "We Are Certainly Awesome" band treats you like your dirt and expecting you to play their tunes perfectly after only getting the list 2 days ago. This story is a broken record I've played many times before :facepalm

Oh man! I love the uncertainty and unpredictability. I also always expect I am never the worst one to show. So
my thanks to other people. :LOL:

My most vital perspective is that getting the gig is never important. Never! If I do or I don't I am always going to
walk in and out of that space with my skills and attitude in tact. I have NOT gotten a gig before and no one also
took my ability to make music and enjoy it because of it.

Everything works out as it should.

quote dean GIF by ClawsTNT

What sort of stuff are they covering?

And, good luck!
Thank you

It's classic dance band stuff. Audition tunes are;

Valerie - Amy Winehouse/Bruno Mars
Boogie Oogie Oogie - Taste Of Honey
F You - Cee Lo Green
December ’63 - Frankie Valli
Lady Marmalade - Labelle
Old Time Rock-N-Roll - Bob Seger
Goodbye To You - Patty Smyth (Scandal)
Summer of 69 - Bryan Adams

Only the Frankie Valli tune is giving me trouble. The piano part I need to practice some more to get it smooth.

The audition was actually fun :) I played everything right and got a positive response. But not a commitment to join yet. I'll find out later.

How's the band, did you like them too?

I'm in the same situation, I've done an audition, then played a second time together while they were auditioning a bass player but I'm still waiting for a difenditive answer.

How's the band, did you like them too?

I'm in the same situation, I've done an audition, then played a second time together while they were auditioning a bass player but I'm still waiting for a difenditive answer.

The band is pretty good. Not crazy awesome good, but good enough. I think I know where the energy of the band needs some work. Tempos were always slightly slow. Some bands seem to be always on fire. This band was floating on a lazy river. Everything was played correctly and yet still sounded a bit flat. As if they've already done this 1000 times and forgot how to lay down the juice. This is a common thing I've seen before in bands that work every weekend. So, it's not so surprising and/or of concern. If anything, the slower feel made the audition easier for me to get through. Also, the volume was at a reasonable level. I didn't walk away with my ears ringing.

I said I wanted the gig. But there's always a built in ironic fear these bands have for keyboard players. They think all of them are playing in 10 bands already. And, if you're not playing in 10 bands now, something must be wrong with you. I made it clear I wanting to be in only one working band. I'm not sure they believe me.

BL contacted me via email. Said they were appreciative of what I did but still want to check out other players. I don't know what they want that I don't already have? No matter as I'm still looking too.

Bands are clique-y (and sometimes flaky). You'll find something!

Yep and I find they very often don't have real expectations. And, still complain there's no one they can find even after the right guy was staring them in the face. Gone are the days where everyone was willing to work at making it work. It's now or never almost like they think they're ordering a pizza delivered already hot lol.

It’s good you went and gave it a shot. We never know what may happen in the universe.

But effort applied is a solid move. 👍

I just put this CL ad up. Maybe I'll get a good catch :)

"Keyboardist, Guitarist, Multi-Instrumentalist, Producer, Song Writer, Singer, and YouTube Artist, In Band Search.

Currently looking join either a cover or original band.

What I hope to find?

A band willing to think outside the box and will work at making it work. For cover bands, I ideally prefer groups that play a wide variety of genres and eras from all generations. A band that can play a full set without taking breaks between every tune. A band willing to reinterpret older already over played songs to make them fresh. A band that can stick to a practice schedule and have an active gig calendar.

For original bands, I ideally prefer groups that are constantly challenging themselves to get better and more interesting. A band that is always writing new material. A band that is both accessible to the general listening audience and yet still able to make something new. A band that is collaborative from all members. A band that is ready, willing, and able to get into the studio to record and do so often.

What I don’t want to find?

A bunch of drug heads and drunks. Not interested in bands who are still only living in the past in both musical styles and general lifestyle. Not interested in personal extremist views (let’s keep things civil). Not interested in extremely loud high volume acts.

What I can offer?

Professional dedicated hard working attitude. Experience and skills. Top quality up-to-date gear. A recording studio. My own transportation. An open-minded friendly demeanor who loves all music. An active and growing YouTube channel with over 1800 current subscribers.

Still reading? Cool :) Check out TJontheRoad.com to learn more about me. If interested, reply here or on my website contact page with details about you and what you’re hoping for. Lets do this!"

Back