Jumping Back Into The Gig Pool

BL contacted me via email. Said they were appreciative of what I did but still want to check out other players. I don't know what they want that I don't already have? No matter as I'm still looking too.

I was told the same thing a month ago. Nothing for a couple of weeks and then I have been asked
back two consecutive weeks. You just never know how things will play out. :beer

I was told the same thing a month ago. Nothing for a couple of weeks and then I have been asked
back two consecutive weeks. You just never know how things will play out. :beer

1st gig is Sept 1st for which I'll need to learn 4 16 song sets. If they don't say go in the next couple days, forgetaboutit!!! I'm not going to cramming up new tunes in a week or two just because they can't make up their minds.

I suspect they want to do their due diligence, and audition everyone who seems like an option. :idk

Just part of the game. Nothing personal.... at least I never take a situation like that personal.

And wow, if they are playing 64 songs a night not sure you want the gig. :LOL:

I suspect they want to do their due diligence, and audition everyone who seems like an option. :idk

Just part of the game. Nothing personal.... at least I never take a situation like that personal.

And wow, if they are playing 64 songs a night not sure you want the gig. :LOL:
It's very personal!!! Meh, not really :)

16 3 minute dance tunes a set without taking little talk breaks between every song is somewhat expected. You gotta keep the floor up and shaking their booty. Each tune is fairly easy. Remembering them all is the challenge.

Wow! It sounds like The Ramones meets Disco. :LOL:

I get confused, too, when learning a high volume of material in a short time span.
I have resorted to making cheat sheets with the Key of the song in the past, and maybe
some chord/key changes from verses to chorus. It can help to have notes! :idk

Wow! It sounds like The Ramones meets Disco. :LOL:

I get confused, too, when learning a high volume of material in a short time span.
I have resorted to making cheat sheets with the Key of the song in the past, and maybe
some chord/key changes from verses to chorus. It can help to have notes! :idk

Every one in the band was using iPads. They even asked me if I would use one. I said probably, but I actually perfer paper notes. You don't need to plug-in and charge paper.

I got a couple contacts so far from the CL ad I put up. 1st was a drummer I've worked with years before. Nice guy with a very positive attitude. As long as I've known him, he's has perennially been trying to put a band together that actually last more than a few months (including the band I was in) before imploding. We're gonna met up for a beer and chat soon.

2nd contact has some interesting electronica type ideas and is a fellow synth gear nerd like me. We, see how this goes.

I think now overall my approach to finding a band is going involve just meeting as many players in my area as I can and developing my own network. This so I can have a bit more control of who I'm working with and on what we are doing. In time, I may just start my own band once my networking is more mature.

I had yesterday a very odd encounter. A guy responded to my ad saying he had a large studio and played several instruments. He's a retired oral surgeon. He doesn't do texting. Only emails and phone calls. He also doesn't have any online postings of his music or productions. We spoke on the phone for some time. He seemed to know what he was talking about but something was just odd. I agreed to meet up with him to chat at a local Starbucks. I get there and start talking to him and very soon afterward another guy he knows "just happens" to show up and sits down with us. At this point, I got the feeling the was some other weird alternative agenda going on. Second guy was sort of a space cadet who plays guitar. I asked 1st guy if had any pics of his studio. He pulls out his old beat up and screen cracked iPhone and shows me some pics of a very well appointed studio desk and outboard gear. Yet, I don't think he knows how to use any of it. At this point I kinda demanded to hear some recordings or I was out of there. So we go to 1st guy's car. It's a 15 year old beat up Honda. There's no bluetooth or any way to listen to their music that guy 2 has on his phone. So guy 2 hands me his phone and listened through the phone speaker. He had some decent original recordings from what I could tell but they were all done 10-15 years ago. Nothing from this decade. There was some off topic conversation about partying and girls going on as if they were feeling me out. I knew I had to get out there. I got the suspicion these guys were more than just "music friends". You can guess what that might be. I later googled the 1st guy's name and was indeed a local oral surgeon. His Linked in page says something like "take this job a shove it".

Props to you for being willing to dive into the sewer and put up with all that comes with joining or starting a band 🍻

Thanks.

Tons of flakes, ego maniacs, alt agendas, drummers who want me to write and record their music (since they can't do that themselves), and working bands who think they're doing you a favor by having an audition. It took about year for me find and join the last band I was in. I never felt that band was all that special and quit a year later. But, I'm getting bored doing this all by myself. My local scene isn't the best. I'd move if I didn't have other strong ties here.

I had yesterday a very odd encounter. A guy responded to my ad saying he had a large studio and played several instruments. He's a retired oral surgeon. He doesn't do texting. Only emails and phone calls. He also doesn't have any online postings of his music or productions. We spoke on the phone for some time. He seemed to know what he was talking about but something was just odd. I agreed to meet up with him to chat at a local Starbucks. I get there and start talking to him and very soon afterward another guy he knows "just happens" to show up and sits down with us. At this point, I got the feeling the was some other weird alternative agenda going on. Second guy was sort of a space cadet who plays guitar. I asked 1st guy if had any pics of his studio. He pulls out his old beat up and screen cracked iPhone and shows me some pics of a very well appointed studio desk and outboard gear. Yet, I don't think he knows how to use any of it. At this point I kinda demanded to hear some recordings or I was out of there. So we go to 1st guy's car. It's a 15 year old beat up Honda. There's no bluetooth or any way to listen to their music that guy 2 has on his phone. So guy 2 hands me his phone and listened through the phone speaker. He had some decent original recordings from what I could tell but they were all done 10-15 years ago. Nothing from this decade. There was some off topic conversation about partying and girls going on as if they were feeling me out. I knew I had to get out there. I got the suspicion these guys were more than just "music friends". You can guess what that might be. I later googled the 1st guy's name and was indeed a local oral surgeon. His Linked in page says something like "take this job a shove it".

Updates:

Yesterday, I meet up with my old drummer friend I mentioned in post 32 and his latest band. I didn't know exactly what they'd be playing. I just went based on my drummer friend saying it should be a good jam. I took one look at the set list and saw the same old tired 60's and 70's 2 or 3 chord blues rock jams I've been trying to get away from forever. It's 2023 people!!! Lets move on shall we!!!

I brought my PRS McCarty and FM9. Nearly a $5,000 rig to a two bit gig. I started question myself if it was all worth it lol. Now, I feel bad and probably will sound like a jerk when I tell my drummer buddy I'm just not into it.

OTOH, there's still some other irons in the fire. Including one very interesting and challenging jazz/rock fusion type band. But they're not getting together until next month. I hope that doesn't fizzle out before it even happens. In the meantime, I have a couple other contacts to weed through. We'll see how that goes.

Back