John Browne departs from Mayones

spawnofthesith

Shredder
Long winded posts from both Mayones and himself on Facebook... seems amicable

But I have to ask, is this some new trend for artists to make "big announcements" when ending endorsements ? Maybe I just haven't been paying attention but it seems like this sort of thing didn't used to be news :rofl

The legal team for the new endorser probably requires them to publicly declare such things. Yay for lawyers.:cuss

Honestly I haven’t heard of either John Browne or Mayones.

One of the djent pioneers from Monuments

I was pretty big into that scene in the early '10s

I'd love to have a mayones one day, especially if I ever veered off back into a more metal or extended range direction again. Lovely guitars

Last edited:
Definitely a newer thing to announce when you’re leaving a company. In the 90’s and 00’s it was more of something where you’d just see a guitarist with a new guitar and you’d have to wait for an interview to find out why they left the first company. Bill Kelliher and Gibson is a good example of that; he was with them a few years then all of a sudden he’s playing ESP’s and it wasn’t until he was asked about it he mentioned he wasn’t digging the working relationship with Gibson.

I understand these people have careers and have to make money, but it just seems so transparent when an artist is with a boutique company like this and splits for a big box company. If you were happy with the guitar yesterday and singing its praises just last week, what changed?
The answer is usually money. Must suck for the company trying to sell a guitar and who may have invested in this artist somehow.

I've never listened to Monuments but I used to really like Fellsilent back in the day. Even drove to Houston to see them (along with a couple other killer bands) only to find out when I got there that their VISA's got denied so they couldn't make the show :(

Mayones is the guitar company I can't help but pronounce mayonnaise. The other guy.......got me. Reading the thread title I thought maybe he was a builder.

Agreed, thought it was like a John Cruz situation or something.

Hahaha found this in an SSO thread from last November-

Schecter is grabbing the djenty-prog guys up while Gibson is going after the metal dudes.

John Browne = yawn
Mayones = bigger yawn

What would be news-worthy is someone like Vai leaving Ibanez, or something.

I don't listen to much djent stuff these days but I definitely used to get down to monuments back in the day

I'd say this is still bigger "news" than Rabea leaving Chapman :p

Overall the point of the thread was more wondering why endorsement departures are considered "newsworthy" these days :rofl

I don't listen to much djent stuff these days but I definitely used to get down to monuments back in the day

Overall the point of the thread was more wondering why endorsement departures are considered "newsworthy" these days :rofl
I agree, Browne isn’t a professional shill. Just monumentally boring. 😂

used to be your favorite guitar player played brand X. So you checked out brand X, liked it and bought a guitar. A few years later, he or she went off and played brand Y. You only knew it because you saw it at show, in a magazine or on the records liner notes. Now? I have an up to the minute scorecard of what’s great yesterday that suddenly isnt great enough to play anymore because brand Y threw you some more money.

The older I get the more I realize all this gear stuff is bullshit. Play what you like.

used to be your favorite guitar player played brand X. So you checked out brand X, liked it and bought a guitar. A few years later, he or she went off and played brand Y. You only knew it because you saw it at show, in a magazine or on the records liner notes. Now? I have an up to the minute scorecard of what’s great yesterday that suddenly isnt great enough to play anymore because brand Y threw you some more money.

The older I get the more I realize all this gear stuff is bullshit. Play what you like.

Especially in the prog metal scene.

I swear, Aaron Marshall must have been paid by NDSP to put the QC in his Rig Rundown because that's about as long as he used the device before going back to Fractal.

Back