is this solo good enough?

megametal7

Roadie
TGF Recording Artist
Hi guys,

I did cover of this song while back..... and friend of mine said his guitarist dose the solo better than me ( I respectfully disagree ).. yesterday we went to the gig and that subject came up..... lol I tolled him I will play it again and you will see :)

so today I re recorded video with '' better take''

here both videos

dose it suck? let me know your honest opinions :)

disclaimer.....

i dont claim to be best player and i know there are millions of better and younger players than me. I dont have talant but i work hard to play like ii play :)

Ii

My honest take is just keep doing what you're doing... and that's working on it and trying to improve every time. Of course it doesn't suck lol and you're getting close. It takes guts to post a video like this asking for opinions.(y)
I'm no teacher but based on what I'm hearing spend more time on the bend and vibrato parts, trying to get the intonation right. The more you do it the better it will be. It can be difficult to pull off what other players do because it's all the nuance that sets them apart. Brian May is a good example of this.

Last edited:
Weren't you just slagging people in another thread for playing cover tunes. C'mon man! :hmm

:rofl

:horse
i never slagged anyone for playing covers... I said I would not play in a cover band. I do covers for fun but in a band i rather do originals. :idk

I'm not super familiar with the original song or solo. My honest opinion? Your performance did not suck at all (I only listened to the 'better take' version). I know part of the deal with cover bands is often to try to replicate the original exactly, but as a listener listening to a cover band (or doing Youtube cover videos), most of the time I most enjoy guitarists who tackle a cover solo with a bit of their own guitar voice thrown in. Especially for one like that one where the solo is not the definitive element of the song, like say Comfortably Numb for example, or even other Queen songs. Like I said, can't comment on your playing in terms of how close it was to Brian May's studio or live performances (which likely have differences between them). My only other thought is just let your guitar do the talking for you and don't worry too much about critics.

Last edited:
Back