Is this a/the problem?

Baba

Shredder
Or am I just an old man yelling at clouds and this is extremely old news?

I get it. Today’s world is ruled by followers and clicks, but there are a metric ton of (known and unknown) guitar players who are way more talented than she is. The cover? Really?

You know if she had the talent of, and looked just like, Guthrie Govan, she would NEVER get the cover.

IMG_0941.jpeg

There's been plenty of one-hit-wonders on the covers of these mags over the years, I can't really find a good reason to bitch about YouTubers as they've put out far more content than said one hit wonders.

Hell, now that I think about it; the greats are always going to be doing interviews and we'll always keep hearing about their new albums and the gear, but with some GuitarTubers where the content is education based or even just part of the content, I'm having a hard time faulting it. It's at least keeping guitar discussion going and I'd imagine as a younger kid in their teens, it's like having favorite bands. It's not like they're ALL just going to start recording 30-second IG shred clips.....I'm baked, I'm just gonna stop now.

That dude saving Rock N Roll.... what's his name..... Greta..... no wait..... it's uhmmmmm..... way worse.... oh help me.

Machine Gun Kelly! That's it. He plucked her off of social media and hired her to play support guitar on his recent tour.

She seems cool, and can play. Not like Nita Strauss. But good for her. Men had their run. :LOL:

Lita Ford says hold my beer.

s6j583n5zyr61.jpg
Yes, but she was also a lead singer who wrote some hits, not some random guitar player who isn’t that great, and doesn’t have a resume yet.
Well, to be fair.......he was on there before.

View attachment 9011
Right, but if she looked like him, she wouldn’t be on the cover. There are probably hundreds of better players out there, but that don’t look like her, so they don’t have the following, blah, blah, etc.

This is nothing new, it’s just a shame.

Or am I just an old man yelling at clouds and this is extremely old news?

I get it. Today’s world is ruled by followers and clicks, but there are a metric ton of (known and unknown) guitar players who are way more talented than she is. The cover? Really?

You know if she had the talent of, and looked just like, Guthrie Govan, she would NEVER get the cover.

View attachment 9009
Given Guitar World's history of having big haired scantily clad women holding guitars that don't even play on their cover (every one of their Gear Guides I've ever seen on a new stand), I'd say the fact that this one plays is progress?

According to who?

Just my opinion. Someone like Plini, Aaron Marshall, Paul Masvedal, etc. would have been a much more appropriate 3rd player alongside Tosin and Guthrie. Joe would be the first to admit it. It's like that recent pairing of Vai with the guys from Polyphia. Vai just didn't fit. Again, just my opinion.

Last edited:
Just my opinion. Someone like Plini, Aaron Marshall, Paul Masvedal, etc. would have been a much more appropriate 3rd player alongside Tosin and Guthrie. Joe would be the first to admit it. It's like that recent pairing of Vai with the guys from Polyphia. Vai just didn't fit. Again, just my opinion.
I doubt either of the two other guys on that cover would consider Satriani that way, and of course Joe is humble. The Vai and Polyphia pairing was a bit unusual, however in no way is Vai out of his league.

Funny that they included Satriani front and center. He's not even in the same league as those other two but his face/name is what sold that issue for most people I'd imagine.
The "league" put forth on the cover is rock guitar virtuosos. I'd say whatever your thoughts are on Satriani, he's squarely in that league. His music is maybe a little more harmonically and rhythmically straight-forward, but he's still a technical monster. Bluegrass is incredibly simple music, but Bryan Sutton is an absolute virtuoso.

WTF reads magazines anyway? The general level of the rock music industry is mediocre at best right now, so why not?

Back