Is this a/the problem?

Same. Receiving a new issue of Guitar for the Practicing Musician was like Christmas morning.

Yup. Those were treasures. I'd read and re-read and pour over every word and image. I'd like to see
some of those Andy Aledort lessons where he broke down different players archived somewhere.

Sorry baba, old man yelling at clouds

Men have been exploiting their image/sexuality for attention far longer in rock n roll than women have

Also, I didn't even know guitar magazines were still in print :p
Right, but most musicians, before they were able to grace the cover of a guitar mag, actually had the beginnings of a musical catalog, and that’s why you knew who they were. Compared to Nita Strauss, for example, this chick is nobody.

I only know who she is because I used to see her playing covers on IG, (which isn’t a career, and everyone does that), and because I’m a pervert.
This thread reeks of the other place
Well, I am turning 54 this year . . . :LOL:

Right, but most musicians, before they were able to grace the cover of a guitar mag, actually had the beginnings of a musical catalog, and that’s why you knew who they were. Compared to Nita Strauss, for example, this chick is nobody.

I only know who she is because I used to see her playing covers on IG, (which isn’t a career, and everyone does that), and because I’m a pervert.

Well, I am turning 54 this year . . . :LOL:

Looking into her, she does have her own original music, has a prolific Instagram page with close to 1 million followers filled with all sorts of content, and is the live guitar player for Machine Gun Kelly, who like him or not is an extremely famous pop artist. And if social media metrics mean anything, since you brought her up, she's actually more popular and relevant to young guitar players than Nita Strauss :idk

Bill Murray GIF by Groundhog Day

Let’s celebrate:

Lari has been blowing me away for years. She got a full bag of chops but it's her phrasing and touch that set her apart imo.

Killer player and songwriter. She deserves a lot more recognition.

THIS.IS.WHAT.I'M.SAYING.

There is a distinct difference between the way Lari and Sophie look and present themselves, and it could be argued that Lari is the "better", more "accomplished" player, but here we are with Sophie's 1 million followers, while Lari has "only" 7k followers on YT and "only" 387k followers on Insta, etc.

I'm just saying we all know what a big reason is for that. Hollywood doesn't hire ugly actors, water is wet, etc.

This is age old, just something I noticed when I started the thread, etc.

THIS.IS.WHAT.I'M.SAYING.

There is a distinct difference between the way Lari and Sophie look and present themselves, and it could be argued that Lari is the "better", more "accomplished" player, but here we are with Sophie's 1 million followers, while Lari has "only" 7k followers on YT and "only" 387k followers on Insta, etc.

I'm just saying we all know what a big reason is for that. Hollywood doesn't hire ugly actors, water is wet, etc.

This is age old, just something I noticed when I started the thread, etc.
So, you're shaming Sophie because she dresses a certain way that you find sexy?

What's the metric we're using to claim that Lari is better or more accomplished? In any case it looks like she has a very big following in SA where she is from and has gotten to collaborate with Joe Satriani, etc.

A quick image search also indicates plenty of instances of Lari "dressing sexy"

Still very much struggling to see what the problem is

What's the metric we're using to claim that Lari is better or more accomplished? In any case it looks like she has a very big following in SA where she is from and has gotten to collaborate with Joe Satriani, etc.

A quick image search also indicates plenty of instances of Lari "dressing sexy"

Still very much struggling to see what the problem is
Obviously you're confused. Lari is "the right amount of sexy", whilst Sophie is "too much sexy....dial it back so I can begin taking you seriously".

If this seems arbitrary, it's because it is.

So, you're shaming Sophie because she dresses a certain way that you find sexy?
I think we need to be careful with that "shaming" word, it gets thrown around WAY too easily these days. It's to the point where if you disagree with something, you're "shaming" it. That is not the case. There are nuances, or at least, there should be.

Judging by the responses, it looks like I'm either "wrong" here, or I'm getting older and yelling at clouds, so with that, I'll leave this thread for others :giggle:

I think we need to be careful with that "shaming" word, it gets thrown around WAY too easily these days. It's to the point where if you disagree with something, you're "shaming" it. That is not the case. There are nuances, or at least, there should be.
I agree, and I do feel the word is appropriate here.

Or am I just an old man yelling at clouds and this is extremely old news?

I get it. Today’s world is ruled by followers and clicks, but there are a metric ton of (known and unknown) guitar players who are way more talented than she is. The cover? Really?

You know if she had the talent of, and looked just like, Guthrie Govan, she would NEVER get the cover.

View attachment 9009

Never heard of her.
I guess she's good and successful enough to deserve a magazine cover.

Sex sells. Been that way forever. I don't see a single person in this thread actually complaining about it. And in honor of female musicians who have no problems expressing their sexuality:

Back