Is there anything inside the Quad Cortex that they didn't steal from someone else?

IK Muktimedia Tonex Pedal at $399 essentially makes the QC obsolete as a sensible Capture platform to purchase going forward.

So the QC pretty much sucks in both scenarios now.

imo….

ToneX doesn't make it obsolete as it can only do 1 Capture at a time.
So virtualizing my Pedalboard into 1 of my Amps in a Preset I would 12 ToneXs...
If they male a more expensive version that runs more then I might.?.?
FM3 & ToneX might be cool as it sounds like Preset Switching on the ToneX is gapless.

Edit: HXFX & ToneX possible too. I Only use 1 Amp at a time, so HXFX 4CM into Tone X...

Last edited:
ToneX doesn't make it obsolete as it can only do 1 Capture at a time.
So virtualizing my Pedalboard into 1 of my Amps in a Preset I would 12 ToneXs...
If they male a more expensive version that runs more then I might.?.?
FM3 & ToneX might be cool as it sounds like Preset Switching on the ToneX is gapless.
Tonex isn’t an all in one. It can hold I believe up to a 150 Tonex models that someone can switch through. That would be used in conjunction with any outboard effects chain that someone cares to implement.

I’m not going to evaluate your personal use case of having 12 captures to access in a given preset. How you implement things is up to you.

I wouldn’t go the QC for the all in one route, nor would I go for it in the snapshot application. It’s still too under developed as an all in one for my liking, and no longer price competitive as solely an amplifier replacement. Also I don’t care about the interface.

My impression is they’ve fumbled their competitive advantage even though they’ve generated some sales.

Tonex isn’t an all in one. It can hold I believe up to a 150 Tonex models that someone can switch through. That would be used in conjunction with any outboard effects chain that someone cares to implement.

I’m not going to evaluate your personal use case of having 12 captures to access in a given preset. How you implement things is up to you.

I wouldn’t go the QC for the all in one route, nor would I go for it in the snapshot application. It’s still too under developed as an all in one for my liking, and no longer price competitive as solely an amplifier replacement. Also I don’t care about the interface.

My impression is they’ve fumbled their competitive advantage even though they’ve generated some sales.

Not trying to talk you into the QC at all, just "talking out loud" mostly.
From reading it sounds like the ToneX does a closer Capture.?.? I mean come on, there were Graphs... LOL...
I edited my post shortly after your reply, so HXFX + ToneX is intriguing.
I have 7 or 8 Amps in my Main Preset, but only use 1 at a time, so HXFX + ToneX might be an Option for me... stupid GAS

From reading it sounds like the ToneX does a closer Capture.?.? I mean come on, there were Graphs... LOL...
I have 7 or 8 Amps in my Main Preset, but only use 1 at a time, so HXFX + ToneX might be an Option for me... stupid GAS
I think they’re both close enough in results to each other single Capture/Tonex Model wise. If I had already purchased a QC way back when, and still had it, I wouldn’t sell it at this point to switch over to Tonex. I would just ride it out until NDSP finally gets things finished up. Even though I wouldn’t run out and buy a QC today.

Other than curiosity/just because someone can, I don’t really see a benefit in owning both platforms simultaneously(unless the Tonex plugin capability is of interest to you).

You can always add an HXFX.

Last edited:

HX FX, just like the other HX/Helix units, takes preamps like a charm!

With that, the ToneX, and maybe an expression pedal, you should be good. ;)

Back