In praise of the Boss GT1000-CORE

tekbow

Roadie
TL/DR so here is pictorial summary of the text below.

6u18gg.jpg

Since there's no other threads on it, and from the perspective of someone who wasn't buying a modeller so much as a high capability compact Multi-FX unit.

I was extremely suprised by its modelling.

Context:

I have 2 awesome amps, one considered to be an all time great, and one I consider to be one of the best, if not the best, of its type (modded Marshall).

I didn't care about the modelling and in my increasing years, am less about minutiae of specific gear and more about "if it sounds good, it is good".

So, with that in mind, I wanted something I could do fully wet, parallel stereo FX with, and had stereo/dual inputs at a given price point.

Add to that the power of the unit and it was a no brainer.

The modelling played no part in my decision and when I came to play with the models, I was presently suprised.

I love Boss' attitude to modelling, especially the X Amp and other AIRD amp models. Even some of the legacy amps are very good.

And that attitude is, for example, "here is a subjectively idealised Modded Marshall flavour amp that sounds very good"

Coming from the perspective that I had no dog in the fight of warts and all model accuracy, and having 2 great amps as a benchmark, I would tend to agree that, in fact, the modelling sounds very good and involves a minimum of fuss in sounding very good. Boss just did it how they wanted to do it and didn't get in the modelling accuracy fight.

Here's how I look at it taking the X-modded as an example. If Friedman took a Marshall and modded it, then yay. But because Boss do the same thing, but virtually/digitally, then that's somehow not legit and non yay. If any Modder did a mod that sounded like that, they'd not Keep up with demand.

From the FX point of view, well I mean.. its Boss.. whilst the name may be unexciting because familiarity breeds contempt, the attitude often ignores just how many Albums and Tours (hit or otherwise) Boss products have been used on.

My point being that if Boss aren't capable of putting a good sounding effect in a box, then noone is.

It does have its weak points, such as the onboard IRs (stock cabs). I used my CAB-M in its insert loop a lot. Leon Todd's vid on the full GT1000 objectively showed the thing coming to life when using his own IRs.

That being said, the most recent update dramatically improved things in that regard.

Another weak point is the amount of simple delay blocks (5) and one primary delay block which is where all the fun sims are like the SDE. I'd be more than happy to loose all 5, and replace it with 2nd primary block, and a second reverb block.

In fact, make the blocks user assignable. The unit has the same power as the full GT1000. I'm pretty sure running out of DSP would be unlikely except in the cases of deliberate attempts to max it out, like putting 7 x-amps in a row followed by 8 delay or reverb blocks.

I'd personally like a couple more dividers.

I'm not even going to talk about the screen because that's the stupidest argument I've heard against them. Seriously, the interface is easy to use and clearly laid out, it's just not flashy.

IMO, YMMV.

Last edited:
I liked the GT-1000 Core. It's super powerful with the ability to run dual amps and have gapless preset switching. And lots of effects capabilities.

But there's certainly things that can be improved...

I actually don't mind the interface...it's pretty simple and intuitive for the most part. It's a little dated, but that's fine. If anything I'd like to see a higher resolution screen.

I'm with you 100% on the delay and reverb blocks. That was a major issue for me. There should be two full delay blocks and ideally two full reverb blocks.

And the IR management on the device is a disaster. That needs to get fixed.

I liked the GT-1000 Core. It's super powerful with the ability to run dual amps and have gapless preset switching. And lots of effects capabilities.

But there's certainly things that can be improved...

I actually don't mind the interface...it's pretty simple and intuitive for the most part. It's a little dated, but that's fine. If anything I'd like to see a higher resolution screen.

I'm with you 100% on the delay and reverb blocks. That was a major issue for me. There should be two full delay blocks and ideally two full reverb blocks.

And the IR management on the device is a disaster. That needs to get fixed.

I forgot about the gapless switching... good point.

Dual amps are great, especial if you stick a mimiq in one of the FX loop.

You mean third party IR loading? Yeah.. jesus.. I tried it once to see what's what and haven't bothered since.fortunately the stock cabs are improved to the point where I'm more than happy with them.

Alternate take:

The Core is jam packed in the wrong way. I grew tired of Boss amp modeling and believe me, other than yelling at them about guitar synthesizers aside; I have been a big fan of the AIRD era. That sound just started to grate on my ears.

I am not a fan of fixed fx blocks that can't be changed to something else. IR import process and overall workflow is indeed a disaster. Baked in cabs are better than anything from vendors I used with it (and are the only IRs I use with any platform now :bag ). It's also horribly noisy. Not a fan.

Alternate take:

The Core is jam packed in the wrong way. I grew tired of Boss amp modeling and believe me, other than yelling at them about guitar synthesizers aside; I have been a big fan of the AIRD era. That sound just started to grate on my ears.

I am not a fan of fixed fx blocks that can't be changed to something else. IR import process and overall workflow is indeed a disaster. Baked in cabs are better than anything from vendors I used with it (and are the only IRs I use with any platform now :bag ). It's also horribly noisy. Not a fan.

The fixed FX blocks really don't bother me because, I mean they can be put in any order and split ever which way. It's just those simple delay blocks seem a waste.

However, on the main FB group, there's been general feeling and a hint of recognition from Boss, that the next update should implent the user assignable blocks which appeared in the GX100.

Mines quiet, but I have heard complaints of noise from some. They have inbuilt input triggered Noise gates so noise shouldnt be a problem (but clearly has been for some)

This is one I am looking at after my Helix LT sells. Right now boss lady sez gear in/gear out and if you saw my garage and jam room you'd understand. I will have to grab a drop too because I dont like the BOSS polyphonic pitch but it'll be worth it.

have you tried the Gt 1000 or core before? It’s worth trying but tough to compare against helix or fractal.

Alternate take:

OH REALLY... 🤤

And where, if one so desired... where do you think one could procure these so-called "IRs" to "try out for a bit", and without buying actual BOSS product?

** cough **

DMs welcome.

Last edited:
have you tried the Gt 1000 or core before? It’s worth trying but tough to compare against helix or fractal.

I owned the GT1000 the first week it was released. Hated it. Buggy, bad IR handling. I have heard they corrected a lot of that since.

OH REALLY... 🤤

And where, if one so desired... where do you think one could procure these so-called "IRs" to "try out for a bit", and without buying actual BOSS product?

** cough **

DMs welcome.

IR200?

I think they're much improved, but dunno if I'd want them standalone vs something like the CAB-M+.

I owned the GT1000 the first week it was released. Hated it. Buggy, bad IR handling. I have heard they corrected a lot of that since.
Don't think they've corrected the IR handling, I tried it after the last update and its crap.

If it was previously crappier, well shit.

This is one I am looking at after my Helix LT sells. Right now boss lady sez gear in/gear out and if you saw my garage and jam room you'd understand. I will have to grab a drop too because I dont like the BOSS polyphonic pitch but it'll be worth it.
I use a drop as well, mainly because nothing does it as well, other than the Droptune, but that was massive and had annoying power supply requirements.

Don't think they've corrected the IR handling, I tried it after the last update and its crap.

If it was previously crappier, well s**t.
They say they corrected the frequency response errors when imported. On the GT series, at least. And they do "sound better". But the IR loader is still absymal dogshit. Seriously Boss; wtf? Pull your head out of the sand and see the 2022.

"I want something easy to use with some good esoteric stuff and a boatload of easy to use routing and switching capability? I'll get a HX product!"

"I want something where the amp models blow me away out of the box with pristine sounding effects and a dumptruck of models to choose from? I'm going FAS!"

"I want something I can capture my IRL amps and use alongside my pedalboard? Kemper!"

"I want something with a horrible display, horrible IR implementation (though stock cabs for my ear are better than anything else but I digress because ranting), beyond clunky routing that gets hamstrung by Boss' dumb ass thought processes and design decisions every step of the way with the bonus that the onboard amp models that were regurigitated from 20 year old COSM are really all you're ever going to get because we are still stuck in the sand ostrich style and hope the 5 people yapping about our devices on social media keep pushing the original models because we know 90% of the "legacy" amp models sound like horeshit compared to the competition? But latency and Leo Gibson?!?!?!? Boss it is!"

I think I spent a few too many summers at Boss Camp :camp

Back