IK Multimedia TONEX

Alright spent about 30 with the iRig2 HD + ToneX iOS app. (Via headphones, gonna run it to a cab later)

Clean tones out of the box were pretty good. At least good enough for my purposes which is a simple practice rig. Nice touch with having a few reverbs, I was worried about not having reverb because via headphones it’s brutal going without at least a room verb.

Stock gain tones. Eww. Gonna take some work on my end. Not entirely unexpected though, more gainy tones are always hard via headphones. Think it’s going to be all about finding a cab I like from the selection.

But…

Loaded @Deadpan 900 cap and CHUNK CITY. Nice cap dude!!!! With my RG that cap RIPS. Is that without an OD in the chain?

Some meh…

I downloaded the friggin manual for later viewing pleasure (UGH) because some of the interface is nonsensical. There is an open block next to the amp, so I think great I’ll stack an OD there, tap it and nothing happens. I eventually found ODs by some magical tap dance, selected one, and then it replaced the amp with the OD. JFC.

59C1DEE9-2C8E-4F41-8293-F6860A2C02E6.jpeg

I assumed above by simply tapping that open block I’d get options to add something into the chain there but no dice.

Also, I found presets when I initially logged in, but once I somehow toggled out and to an amp setup, I couldnt find the preset button again to just go back to demoing presets.

Also the file management isn’t immediately intuitive. (Neural laughs in the distance) I also love how they flaunt the amps that you don’t have, in the file list. (Here’s all the shit you can’t play!) Wonder how long before I get beaten down into buying the super duper amp package. :ROFLMAO:

Is there a simple hi/low cut block somewhere, or is the post EQ it?

Overall, I’m reasonably optimistic, once I figure out their UI, and find some good capture makers. (LRS’s cap was ready to rip, out the box)

Just saw this at the other place, looks like this could be what many were waiting for!

Just saw this at the other place, looks like this could be what many were waiting for!

Depending on the price I'd snag this. I think below $500 would be great

Depending on the price I'd snag this. I think below $500 would be great

Yep. Should be interesting to see what it consists of. Really, I’d just want it to run the captures with some knobs to adjust the settings and that’s IT. That’d make for a pretty killer pedalboard and would probably have me reconsidering how I want to build a fly rig.

Couldn’t it be the Capture? Just that they’ve changed the product name and it hasn’t reflected on the original trademark/patent whatever.
Just wondering… im probably wrong.

Yep. Should be interesting to see what it consists of. Really, I’d just want it to run the captures with some knobs to adjust the settings and that’s IT. That’d make for a pretty killer pedalboard and would probably have me reconsidering how I want to build a fly rig.
Nah it needs a cab sim to match. I feel that is where a lot of boxes falter.

Couldn’t it be the Capture? Just that they’ve changed the product name and it hasn’t reflected on the original trademark/patent whatever.
Just wondering… im probably wrong.

I dunno mang, I was going off the

Electronic effect pedals for use with sound amplifiers; transportable guitar amplifiers; simulation software of guitar amplifiers

bit.

So, wishlist for this thing:
  • Amplitube X-Drive form factor.
  • Simple controls like the X-Drive.
  • 16 slots for different captures (to go with the design of the X-series).
  • Headphones amp capable of driving high impedance headphones (probably too wishful thinking).
  • Cab sim capable of loading fairly long IRs. 500ms like Strymon Iridium would be nice.
  • Full MIDI control (expected as the X series already does this).
  • Decent room reverb built in for convenience to make headphones sound better.
  • Stereo input.
  • Output options:
    • Mono/stereo out.
    • Individual mono with and without cab sims (poweramp and cab + FOH, I think this exists on X-Drive).
    • Mono with fx loop.
    • Stereo to headphones with fx loop so you can put reverbs and delays after the amp/cab to headphones without an additional headphone amp.

Back