IK Multimedia Tone X One?

Lawd forgive me for sharing ToneJunkie content, but this is an interesting shootout/discussion of Helix vs. Tonex, in the context of Tonex ONE as a companion for HX products.

So...

I had a Very Bad Time (TM) with the Tonex plugin when it originally came out: https://thegearforum.com/threads/tonex-pedal-its-real.1411/page-72#post-71210

But the idiot that I am got hyped up about Tonex One by the YouTube hype machine. In the process, I fired up the software again and realized that I still had a few nice self-made tone models (of an amp that I have already sold) lying around and I preordered the pedal.

It arrived yesterday and then the following drama in three acts unfolded:

Act 1: I start Tonex and it tells me that I need to register the pedal first before I can use the librarian (dick move IK but okay).
Act 2: I start the product manager thing and register the pedal and also see that there is an update for Tonex available which I install as well. You see where this going?
Act 3: I start Tonex again and all my tone models (including the factory ones) are gone :ROFLMAO: And of course I do not have a backup.

FFS IK MULTIMEDIA! This thing is so going back to Thomann.

Why can’t he just use a normal mic on a stand like a normal person is there any advantage to holding a 5 pound mic 🎙️ in front of your face
I think we all know the answer to this one.

oDcYFunXwZLoQOsYleMEnFy1GCGCniiXEyn9ASXv0pCKvp4ppxdXKVn1WYrc8f28M_HHmEOz_gg60BsP2hjDW1VQLAI3vdo-

Lawd forgive me for sharing ToneJunkie content, but this is an interesting shootout/discussion of Helix vs. Tonex, in the context of Tonex ONE as a companion for HX products.

Hmm. "ToneX One as companion for HX products" is exactly the opposite of "TONE X vs HELIX". I don't have 30 minutes to find out what he's on about. What did we allegedly expect, and what does the video "reveal"?

Oh, also an update doesn't [edit] remove [obviously it has to update it if there are database structure changes, new models, etc] your Library.db. So something odd happened that is abnormal in your case, in lieu of seemingly not having used the available backup/restore in the TONEX settings I'd suggest reaching out to IK Support to see if there's any other possibility to recover your Tone Models (and the factory ones are of course easily restored too but that's not the important part here for you I'd assume).

Last edited:
Thanks for chiming in @IK Multimedia.
Oh, also an update doesn't touch your Library.db.
This was an important hint...

I just had another look at the TONEX directory and found two *.db files: Library.db and LibrayrCopyPreRestore.db [sic!].
I poked at them with the sqlite3 command-line tool and the latter does in fact seem to contain my tone models :banana Guess I will make a copy and rename it "Library.db" and see what happens...

Maybe the typo in the filename is part of the problem?

EDIT: Yup, that did the trick.

Back