I Tried Again, But Not Happening (Dream Theater Semi-Rant)

Holy god even worse! I have never seen such a singer with a great voice absolutely PLAGUED with the worst bottom of the barrel lyrics ever created. JFC what a turd.

Hahahah I remember reading Sammy’s book and he talks about how “Humans Being“ went down; it was a rough time in the VH camp, Ed and Alex wanted him to re-write the lyrics and Sammy was pissed at them both, he just scribbled down a bunch of word vomit. I read that and thought “….and I never thought of it as any different than the rest of your lyrics.” :ROFLMAO:

Dude is just now starting to show signs of his age and man, that guy was consistent as hell live.

Hahahah I remember reading Sammy’s book and he talks about how “Humans Being“ went down; it was a rough time in the VH camp, Ed and Alex wanted him to re-write the lyrics and Sammy was pissed at them both, he just scribbled down a bunch of word vomit. I read that and thought “….and I never thought of it as any different than the rest of your lyrics.” :ROFLMAO:

Dude is just now starting to show signs of his age and man, that guy was consistent as hell live.

Just don’t tell him what love can do, though.
I love both of these songs :bag :love

I love both of these songs :bag :love

I‘m particularly fond of Van Hagar over Van Halen, Ed’s tones, the songs themselves and Sammy’s voice just do it for me, I just don’t take the lyrics in to let them get in the way of the rest of the song. Balance is my favorite VH album and it’s pinnacle EVH tones on that album for me.

I mean, for as much as we can rag on Hagar for lyrics, I don’t think they were ever a strong suit in VH with any singer. DLR said himself “If I ever do a book of my lyrics it should come with a bong, a thesaurus and a driver-side airbag.” :rofl

I might even go as far as saying this is my favorite VH song-

I‘m particularly fond of Van Hagar over Van Halen, Ed’s tones, the songs themselves and Sammy’s voice just do it for me, I just don’t take the lyrics in to let them get in the way of the rest of the song. Balance is my favorite VH album and it’s pinnacle EVH tones on that album for me.

I mean, for as much as we can rag on Hagar for lyrics, I don’t think they were ever a strong suit in VH with any singer. DLR said himself “If I ever do a book of my lyrics it should come with a bong, a thesaurus and a driver-side airbag.” :rofl

I might even go as far as saying this is my favorite VH song-

The thing for me is; no matter how irritating it would be to be in a band with DLR; he has always been lyrically clever. Sammy has never been lyrically clever. Whether that matters or not. My first VH album was 5150 because JFC stop with the doo-wop backing vox already :oops:

:chef

:sofa

:rofl

What’s really crazy is that as I was reading this, literally AS Sammy gets to the story about whipping it out, a woman on this Guillermo Del Toro‘s Cabinet Of Curiosities said “But then, he pulled his pants down and whips out this huge…..”

I mean, that couldn’t have been any better timing, literally the exact same time.

No shame there, I’ve read it at least twice now. I’m a sucker for musician autobiographies and have blasted through the majority of them.
Me too. The Mustaine book is great. As is the one from Keidis :bag

Sammy Hagar falls in love?!?!?!?
I was so instantly repelled by the mere mention of the Chickenfoot name :bag :oops: :barf that I didn't realize it was a DP cover. So thanks for not posting the video for "Soap On a Rope"
4VBRuX0.gif

DLR was a fantastic lyricist, in my opinion. One of his best strengths, besides being such a great frontman, back in the day. There's a lot of tongue-in cheek-humour and self-awareness in his stuff.

Templeman's book is a really great read too, on the topic of rock books. He talks about how creative DLR was and how he'd send him into the next room, and an hour later DLR would come back with classics like Hot For Teacher or whatever. It's easy to laugh and take that stuff for granted, but there's an underestimated skill to doing it with humour and wit, much like Bon Scott.

Back