I Tried Again, But Not Happening (Dream Theater Semi-Rant)

Haha! Did you know I own a vineyard now?

Vineyards are full of angst. :LOL:

People take that guy so seriously because of his lyrics but all I’ve realized in the last 20 years is he’s a huge comedy fan and is quite the funny dude himself.

Very NSFW-

I think Octavarium was the last album from DT that I dug. I agree with the others, for some reason, the later stuff just did not resonate with me at all.

With Rush, for me, it's been a production thing more than a writing thing. Like, while I don't LOVE all of Hold Your Fire thru Roll The Bones, there are some killer songs and good writing on all of those albums, but I don't enjoy LISTENING to them because of their production. They remedied that with Counterparts, IMO.

Same with Vapor Trails. There is some interesting and good writing on that album, but the "brick wall limiting" killed that album for me.

Clockwork Angels was a GREAT album IMO, and I don't know of another band who was around that long, who ended their recording career with an album THAT good.

I think Octavarium was the last album from DT that I dug. I agree with the others, for some reason, the later stuff just did not resonate with me at all.

With Rush, for me, it's been a production thing more than a writing thing. Like, while I don't LOVE all of Hold Your Fire thru Roll The Bones, there are some killer songs and good writing on all of those albums, but I don't enjoy LISTENING to them because of their production. They remedied that with Counterparts, IMO.

Same with Vapor Trails. There is some interesting and good writing on that album, but the "brick wall limiting" killed that album for me.

Clockwork Angels was a GREAT album IMO, and I don't know of another band who was around that long, who ended their recording career with an album THAT good.
I dont dig anything before counterparts. The production was just so bad I dont like listening to the old stuff.

I dont dig anything before counterparts. The production was just so bad I dont like listening to the old stuff.
cary elwes buttercup GIF

For me; listening to Geddy painfully yell in 440 when they should be tuned to C standard was the toughest thing about later period Rush. That 80's stuff is :chef

Really. Wow! Maybe some of the real early stuff had less-than production, but I'd say from Hemispheres on was great. Power Windows is superb, imo! The Big Money is like, so freaking HUGE!

For me; listening to Geddy painfully yell in 440 when they should be tuned to C standard was the toughest thing about later period Rush. That 80's stuff is :chef

The more I think about Rush in C standard the more I want to hear it. I actually don’t mind Geddy’s voice but it’s 100% because my dad and uncle scorned me when I made fun of it when I was like 8 or 9 and said there was no way it wasn’t a girl singing. They quickly informed me of how good of a singer one must be to hit such notes and all that. At that age, everything those two guys said was gospel to me. At 39 it’s why I needed therapy for so long. :rofl :rofl :rofl

I find his banshee like vocals painful, and he didn’t START actually singing UNTIL counterparts.

The guitar work was also a mess before counterparts.

I find his banshee like vocals painful, and he didn’t START actually singing UNTIL counterparts.

The guitar work was also a mess before counterparts.
This is a payback for Kings X, isn't it :hmm

Yeah, the millions of Rush fans all around the world are all wrong. But Bruce is right. :LOL:
Who’s to say there aren’t millions of Rush fans, SUCH AS MYSELF who agree with me? Are you the president, treasure and sgt at arms of the Rush fan club who sat on the pre/post counterparts which rush albums were better summit?

Who’s to say there aren’t millions of Rush fans, SUCH AS MYSELF who agree with me? Are you the president, treasure and sgt at arms of the Rush fan club who sat on the pre/post counterparts which rush albums were better summit?
I really like the Hemispheres through Moving Pictures era. There is a lot more space in the mix providing some great separation between the instruments compared to the latter stuff.

Back