I Tried Again, But Not Happening (Dream Theater Semi-Rant)

Who’s to say there aren’t millions of Rush fans, SUCH AS MYSELF who agree with me? Are you the president, treasure and sgt at arms of the Rush fan club who sat on the pre/post counterparts which rush albums were better summit?

Haha! Hello? You put yourself out there on that limb, Bruce. Not I.

Now, this is not a directive or an order, but please go post your views in the Rush
Sub-Thread on Reddit and I'll patiently wait for the millions of Rush fans who cheer
you on that someone finally came to their senses and spoke the truth about everything
Pre-Counterparts.

:LOL:

Haha! Hello? You put yourself out there on that limb, Bruce. Not I.

Now, this is not a directive or an order, but please go post your views in the Rush
Sub-Thread on Reddit and I'll patiently wait for the millions of Rush fans who cheer
you on that someone finally came to their senses and spoke the truth about everything
Pre-Counterparts.

:LOL:
Reddit? What’s that? I gave my opinion on a gear forum. You may be shocked but I have far better things to do than argue the lousy production of early rush or anyones lack of appreciation for the bands maturity or evolution.
You can enjoy the banshee vocals, sloppy guitar work and cardboard box drums pre counterparts. I’ll enjoy the far better produced and more sophisticated work on everything from counterparts on. There’s plenty of rush for everyone.

Ok I'm wrong:

When the band was recording "Roll the Bones", Lee said they decided to "have some fun" with it and included a rap section.[17]Peart recalled some skepticism from his band mates at first and they tried different ways to present it, including a female voice, but "the transition was too harsh." They instead opted for Lee's voice with low-frequency effects applied to it.[25]

Ok I'm wrong:

When the band was recording "Roll the Bones", Lee said they decided to "have some fun" with it and included a rap section.[17]Peart recalled some skepticism from his band mates at first and they tried different ways to present it, including a female voice, but "the transition was too harsh." They instead opted for Lee's voice with low-frequency effects applied to it.[25]
I always thought it was Neil. Which be even more out of character than Lee doing it. Still cool though \m/

Today I figured I'd give A View From The Top Of The World a complete listen thru. But it still ain't happening for me. (Last few releases too, for some reason.) Just something about the music and the riffs..., and several songs have the same chunk-chuc-chuck-chuck vibe going on. Like, what's that all about?

But, the depth of the musicianship is still there, if not elevated even higher than before. I mean, I can't believe some of the s**t JP is playing on this album. He switches from 16th notes, to triplets, to melodic sweeps, then right into terrifying 16th-note triplets & 32nd notes with ease. It's melodic, and articulate... I swear his playing is tighter than ever. And I love how he lays whatever he's playing right over the underlying chords.

But to my ears, that's not enough. There was this one really cool-sounding riff near the end of the title track, and a JP-signature clean, arpeggiated part in one of the songs that I really liked, but the rest of it...? And I hear a bunch of cliche lyrics too. I think I finished one of the lines before I even heard it. (Which is bad imo, cuz I can't write lyrics worth a s**t.)

Idk. Guess I'm just disappointed that I can't relate any more to my favorite band. I suppose it's not just me, with them or other bands.

And I know others have the opposite reaction too. I had no problem when Rush started using more keys (other than they were a bit too hot on Signals), but I know they lost a lot of fans around that time.

What band(s) lost you after a certain point?

DT lost their way a long time ago for me.
Train of Thought is the last record I enjoy form start to finish.

Octavarium has still a couple of tracks I like.

Everything they've done after is not for me. Is boring, repetitive and I can't find the magic there is in their first (6+the first one) records.

I also hate Mangini playing and sound on DT.

Like many Genesis fans, I started hating them when Peter Gabriel left. Actually, Wind & Wuthering, was still quite good in some way. Only now I am starting to appreciate some (only some) songs of the Collins era.

I also had a down and up with Marillion. I could not listen them when Fish left. I did buy the Clutching and Straws vinyl, but I could not tune with it, even though I tried. However, when I heard Marbles Live I was amazed and I became a fan again. I love their latest Somewhere Else, Sounds that can't be made and Fuck everyone and run. I've seen them live five or six times.

Last edited:
WTF! This forum doesn't allow to write the name of a Marillion album? Who has enabled that puritan censorship? :cop
I hope the audio is not censored :cuss :D
FUCK, FUCK, FUCK!!!

And they can get as socially compromised as Roger Waters. This lyrics are goosbumpers:

Last edited:
WTF! This forum doesn't allow to write the name of a Marillion album? Who has enabled that puritan censorship? :cop
I hope the audio is not censored :cuss :D
f**k, f**k, f**k!!!

And they can get as socially compromised as Roger Waters. This lyrics are goosbumpers:

I fucking love cursing and shit, if you heard me in my regular speech you’d wonder how I can keep a professional job. :rofl But I think the majority of people here are viewing the forum while at work so we put the filter in. Though in reality, I’m not sure how much better it is to see a bunch of ******* or f*ck’s instead of seeing the actual word. I mean….kinda obvious what they are.:ROFLMAO:

How many guitarists can compose a 10-note melody that fits SO PERFECTLY with the song, and gives you 'the feels', yet is so simple a 5 YO could've come up with it? THAT'S the mark of a brilliant guitarist!

The melody I refer to is in Ghost of a Chance, just before the main riff comes back in. Daaa, dadadadaaa, da dadadaaa. AND, it's fucking scalar!

How many guitarists can compose a 10-note melody that fits SO PERFECTLY with the song, and gives you 'the feels', yet is so simple a 5 YO could've come up with it? THAT'S the mark of a brilliant guitarist!

The melody I refer to is in Ghost of a Chance, just before the main riff comes back in. Daaa, dadadadaaa, da dadadaaa. AND, it's f*****g scalar!

Yup, and yup. Lifeson evolved over the course of his carreer, much like the entire band did. Not sure
how someone could dismiss the first 20 years of Rush as a band and still call themselves a "fan."

To each their own, I suppose. :idk

The melody I refer to is in Ghost of a Chance, just before the main riff comes back in. Daaa, dadadadaaa, da dadadaaa. AND, it's f*****g scalar!
Don't forget that solo. One of the best ever.

DT lost their hooks like Bruce said. I think it's because they go into the studio and write everything there instead of having some tasty stuff already prepared.

I remember when Rush Grace Under Pressure or Queensryche's Rage for Order first came out me and my friends were freaked the fuck out. Completely bummed by the corny direction shift. Now I think those albums are masterpieces.

DT lost their hooks like Bruce said. I think it's because they go into the studio and write everything there instead of having some tasty stuff already prepared.

I think you and I could be buddies because I‘ve been saying this for over a decade.

Back