I Tried Again, But Not Happening (Dream Theater Semi-Rant)

Any Rush fans that haven't given Clockwork Angels at least a few full listens are really missing out! Definitely helps to visit their site to get some of the story for each song, or better yet read the actual book. Like someone above said, how does a band produce such a record after 4 plus decades? It's absolutely my favorite of this entire century and I can listen to it over and over. Gotta understand the basics of the story!

Any Rush fans that haven't given Clockwork Angels at least a few full listens are really missing out! Definitely helps to visit their site to get some of the story for each song, or better yet read the actual book. Like someone above said, how does a band produce such a record after 4 plus decades? It's absolutely my favorite of this entire century and I can listen to it over and over. Gotta understand the basics of the story!

Agree I like that record a lot.

Van Hale....... errrr.... I mean.... Van Hagar. :sofa

That whole bad-ass, street vibe with all that machismo and swagger just went
out the window with Sammy. They went from "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" to
"Why Can't This Be Love" and "Love Walks In."

Blech! :barf

And another one I am gonna need to hide on---Pink Floyd sans Roger Waters.
Just a bunch of down-tempo tunes laden with synths so Gilmour could solo over
it all at 60 to 80 bpm. I stand by my critique, too. ;)

Roger was the angsty punk in the band, and they lost their edge when he split.
All of Gilmour's and Wright's sappy sensibilities had no counterweight to balance
the band out. I am sure it was great for them to be able to indulge themselves
without Roger yelling that the band was losing its balls, but Roger was right. Too
much sugar and no acid or spice.

I'll leave now. :sofa
Van Hale....... errrr.... I mean.... Van Hagar. :sofa

That whole bad-ass, street vibe with all that machismo and swagger just went
out the window with Sammy. They went from "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" to
"Why Can't This Be Love" and "Love Walks In."

Couldn't agree more , hate the Van Hagar era.

DT lost their hooks like Bruce said. I think it's because they go into the studio and write everything there instead of having some tasty stuff already prepared.

I remember when Rush Grace Under Pressure or Queensryche's Rage for Order first came out me and my friends were freaked the f**k out. Completely bummed by the corny direction shift. Now I think those albums are masterpieces.

I am on a massive Rage For Order kick right now. That album got hosed back in the day
and now it registers as an well-ahead of its time masterpiece. To me. :headbang

There is still nothing like that album in the entire Hard Rock/Metal lexicon.

If Blade Runner were an album and not a movie it would be that album

I am on a massive Rage For Order kick right now. That album got hosed back in the day
and now it registers as an well-ahead of its time masterpiece. To me. :headbang

There is still nothing like that album in the entire Hard Rock/Metal lexicon.

If Blade Runner were an album and not a movie it would be that album
Rage for Order is :chef

Aw man that's too bad. I think Rush was great up till about Counterparts. And they didn't really stop being good; they just tried to turn back around to "rock" in a way that didn't really speak to me.

Van Hagar could be great and for me, lyrics certainly aside most times; was.
I liked Van Hagar, but only FUCK and Balance. 5150 and OU812 are pretty forgettable.

Queensryche. I was a massive fan, back in the day.
When DeGarmo left, so did the chemistry.
I saw them with Dream Theater and Fates Warning, and DeGarmo had left by then, and the show wasn't good at all. Not sure who the other guitar player was (I think he wore a beanie, iirc) but he didn't even make an effort to cover the solos the way they were recorded, and imo, those guitar parts just don't sound right played like he did. I mean, maybe if he wrote something worthwhile, or even a good improv solo, but it was just lame. And Tate had also lost it by then, or maybe he was having a bad night, but he was struggling. Like, it seemed his notes were pinched. Just a weak performance all around, I felt.

I did get Here In The Now Frontier, but it didn't do much for me. I feel they peaked around Mindcrime & Empire.

I gave Dream Theater and Opeth a listen a few times but decided not to collect the albums, I can find the albums on youtube if I want to listen again.
In short, there's not enough music to my taste in their catalogue, I don't think I like progressive guitar music that much when it is too progressive.

I gave Dream Theater and Opeth a listen a few times but decided not to collect the albums, I can find the albums on youtube if I want to listen again.
In short, there's not enough music to my taste in their catalogue, I don't think I like progressive guitar music that much when it is too progressive.
I love Opeth. Bullet dodged otherwise :rollsafe

It's definitely grown on me and is probably now my favorite of the post-Terry Brown era. Snakes and arrows wasn't bad either. Not a huge fan of Nick R as a producer but he did evoke some good energy from them, especially Neil.

I saw them with Dream Theater and Fates Warning, and DeGarmo had left by then, and the show wasn't good at all. Not sure who the other guitar player was (I think he wore a beanie, iirc) but he didn't even make an effort to cover the solos the way they were recorded, and imo, those guitar parts just don't sound right played like he did. I mean, maybe if he wrote something worthwhile, or even a good improv solo, but it was just lame. And Tate had also lost it by then, or maybe he was having a bad night, but he was struggling. Like, it seemed his notes were pinched. Just a weak performance all around, I felt.

I did get Here In The Now Frontier, but it didn't do much for me. I feel they peaked around Mindcrime & Empire.

I saw that tour as well, that was Mike Stone, who is currently in the band now, except he learned the solos this time around. I actually had a soundcheck pass for that show someone in the fanclub hooked me up with, you'd think for some fans who pay an annual fee and if I remember right, still had to pay extra for the soundcheck passes, Geoff would acknowledge them in some kind of way but nope. Not a word. Tate was particularly lifeless at the show I was at as well. Thankfully, I caught them on the Hear In The Now Frontier tour and he was still hitting some high notes, he even went for the note in the beginning of "Take Hold Of The Flame" that he stopped doing on the Empire tour.

I remember being thoroughly unimpressed with their set and it's hilarious that Petrucci wrote the lyrics to "As I Am" largely about his experience on that tour. Mike Wilton has always seemed like a nice enough guy so I wouldn't expect it was him and I'm sure you know this, but the line "You can't touch the way I play" came from, I'm assuming, Stone trying to tell Petrucci how to play.

I just watched some videos of the Virginia Petrucci show; that dude and Portnoy are just meant to play together. They spent years developing their individual sounds based off playing with each other. Gettin' a bit silly with wording here, but there's this oomph and bloom to both the drums and guitars that comes after the initial attack and they're just perfect together.

I just watched some videos of the Virginia Petrucci show; that dude and Portnoy are just meant to play together. They spent years developing their individual sounds based off playing with each other. Gettin' a bit silly with wording here, but there's this oomph and bloom to both the drums and guitars that comes after the initial attack and they're just perfect together.

So he played Glassgow Kiss as the encore, and the other night I watched the video I had taken of it for the first time, and to my surprise JP actually put the main solo riff to Free Bird in his outro solo jam!! :rawk :headbang
(I hadn't noticed it when I was at the show!)

That thumps! Yup, you can't create chemistry, wish it into existence, or fake it. It either is or is not.

Love how Portnoy can turn a beat around, put it on its head for a couple of bars, and then land back
on the 1 with both feet.

MAN Petrucci can rip! Still amazes me every time I watch him.

It's definitely grown on me and is probably now my favorite of the post-Terry Brown era. Snakes and arrows wasn't bad either. Not a huge fan of Nick R as a producer but he did evoke some good energy from them, especially Neil.
Not surprised! It can take a few listens but it's one of those albums that's gonna give back way more than you put in to it - once you put 4 or 5 full listens in! And did I mention that you have to "get" the story first?? :whistle

Snakes and Arrows is pretty good, too, simpler but very rocking album with a few gems onboard for sure. It was like a jam album for them and Clockworks was brain, arrangement and production perfected.

Back