I lied about GAS. I want a single channel, face ripping Marshall

If you can get yourself a quality HiFi stereo amp and speakers or powered Monitors you will shit yourself. Good headphones are also a great way to enjoy this setup but the same patch will sound totally different in headphones vs. external speakers. I'm constantly using a pair of Moondrop CHU headphones, which is the reason why most of my patches sound like ass through external speakers. But once you adjust your patch for speakers... boom! Dude, it's so nice.

You will definitely want to use cuts at about 8000Hz and 65Hz or so (adjust accordingly) on your IR/Cab block. It kills all the harshness and helps mellow out the bottom end and keeps everything sounding more "produced?" with less of the frequencies that don't translate very well for guitar amps through high end speakers.

Here's one I found from one of your old AXE posts:

This basic flow is cool because it lets you put the drive block(s) from the III into the front of the physical amp. You are going to love having a reactive load and the III.

With a load box and the III (or FM3/9 for that matter) you can literally put the drives from the III into the front of your amp, then the signal from your amp (load box) back into the III and into a Dynacab (or IR Loader block), and then into post amp effects in the III and out to Out1 in STEREO (of course).

This is how madness starts...

ReDEqti.png
I am going to line up an all drive small board to use. With my ISP noise gate if needed. I have a ton of drive pedals that never get added to the gig board so it will do just fine for this purpose \m/

A lot of the music we love would not be without the Rangemaster, bands like Deep Purple, Queen, Black Sabbath, Eric Clapton and Billy Gibbons used one.
Then there was Fuzz, boxes like the Tone Bender and Fuzz Face without which we would not have Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page etc. etc.
Also, people boosted their single channel amps with Tape/Delay machines preamps and Wireless units in the 60s and 70s, basically another form of transistor boost.

In my opinion SD-1, GE-7, Rat, TS-9, Distortion+ are just as iconic as the Rangemaster and Fuzz and important to music history but a little later in the 70s and 80s.
So yes, don't condemn the boost, it's an essential part of rock guitar sound and always has been, you just need to find the right one.

It's probably because of the tones I go after and the amps I've had, to some extent, but I've never had an amp where I didn't prefer boosting the crunch channel over cranking the high gain channel. (This was also the case with any Fractal models I've used). Something about the response and compression and how it rolls off better for cleaner/mid gain sounds, I think?

My "journey" over the years with amps has found me feeling the same RE: boosting up that crunch channel. In whatever amp. I LOVE boosting. But sometimes; I just like to throw a specific criteria in my path to sort of maybe lowkey keep me from attaining the thing I am shooting for because it, in fact; does not exist. Why try challenging your playing skill when you can challenge your purchase options
:rollsafe
:oops:
:facepalm

Haven’t read the entire thread but dude I have the SLX in my Reverb feed and they drop all the time for like $1000-1,200. I’ve come dangerously close on more than a few occasions.

I am going to line up an all drive small board to use. With my ISP noise gate if needed. I have a ton of drive pedals that never get added to the gig board so it will do just fine for this purpose \m/

Very cool. You owe it to yourself to A/B the AXE drives into the front vs. your real pedals though. I only have a single drive pedal (SD-1) and I'm hard pressed to tell the difference between it and the AXE when setup in that flow.

You will probably much prefer a real noise gate. I struggle with the noise gate in the AXE when using a high gain amp via the Suhr. I have a Decimator G-string II but it requires too much cabling and I don't want to have to run any 9V power anywhere so I make due with the AXE noise gates.

Last edited:
Very cool. You owe it to yourself to A/B the AXE drives into the front vs. your real pedals though. I only have a single drive pedal (SD-1) and I'm hard pressed to tell the difference between it and the AXE when setup in that flow.

You will probably much prefer a real noise gate. I struggle with the noise gate in the AXE when using a high gain amp via the Suhr. I have a Decimator G-string II but it requires too much cabling and I don't want to have to run any 9V power anywhere so I make due with the AXE noise gates.
I have the Decimator mini. I'm going to throw it on that drive board. Of course now I'm going to need another pedal power supply as I'm not taking anything off the gigging board.
:oops: :brick:rofl

all hail the DSL (The 100H and HR fix the deep switch issue by having a resonance pot)

This sounds great! Oddly enough, the other spot I pop into is run by a HUGE DSL guy (GuitarBilly). He grabbed a HotMod and has been digging it and I was thinking about it for the Badlander to give another gain stage. I threaded this same "single channel Marshall" thought process there and he suggested the HotMod and DSL as well \m/

I'm nowhere anywhere near your collection universe :oops: but I need to grab an amp shelf at some point :unsure:

This fucking thread had me going down the JTM studio YouTube hole last night, Jive!! :hmm

Why buy a plexi module for the synergy when I could snag a head and load box for 7x more….
Man; there are some GREAT modules out there. I would love the Plexi and the 800. I have had a few of those thought processes in that direction too; so you aren't alone :oops: :bonk :rofl

One more thing on this. I know the Axe drives are :chef

My biggest issue is keeping the flow of cables all from left to right. My "studio desk" with everything on it and a small shelf to the left with amps. I don't want a bunch of back and forth 12CM between whatever amp I am using and the III. I use a ton of the ins and outs on the Axe for giutar synth stuff as well so I would have to do a bunch of reconfig for that and I am too lazy. Plus I have such a great collection of cheap-ass but killer ODs that I want to put them to use :guiness

Plexi module, that new Dr. Z module, that JTM Studio head…all sounds good to me!!!!!!

i want it all queen GIF
Then you go down the age old "but I need power amp emulation and there aren't the same amount of gain stages in the Syn stuff so this isn't the same thing?!?!?!?" (as you plug into the Axe wtfever and crap yourself) which is, as you know, stupid. :cry:

One more thing on this. I know the Axe drives are :chef

My biggest issue is keeping the flow of cables all from left to right. My "studio desk" with everything on it and a small shelf to the left with amps. I don't want a bunch of back and forth 12CM between whatever amp I am using and the III. I use a ton of the ins and outs on the Axe for giutar synth stuff as well so I would have to do a bunch of reconfig for that and I am too lazy. Plus I have such a great collection of cheap-ass but killer ODs that I want to put them to use :guiness

All good, I totally get using all the ins and outs on the AXE and not wanting to mess with it. Once it's hooked up... it's hooked up and I don't want to unhook anything either. The III is such a beast for stuff like this. :satan

Back