New modded amp week

SillyOctpuss

Shredder
I bought a Marshall JVM back in January and went for the 2 channel 50 watt combo primarily because I found a mint used one for £475 about 30 mins away from me. The guy I bought it from got it in 2018 and it's basically been used at whisper quiet bedroom levels until he bought a Helix last year. He had new valves fitted and rebiased last summer and I couldn't find a mark on it when I got it home.

I took it to rehearsal with my band the day after I got it and damn it was really nice to be using a real guitar cab again instead of my stomp direct into the PA. The only problem was the OD channel is OD2 from the 4 channel JVM and I really didn't gel with it.

So I took it to an amp tech in Belfast to get the OD channel modded to OD1 specs. Due to me having surgery a week later and then getting ill while recovering I only picked it up a week ago. This amp is much much better having the clean/crunch channel 1 and OD1 for channel 2, it's probably the happiest I've been with an amp since I had my old JCM800 in the early 2000s.

I've got another rehearsal with the rest of my band on Sunday but in the meantime I've been running Guitar > Stomp > Stomp Send > Pedal board > JVM > Loadbox > Stomp Return. It's easily the most fun I've had since I got my stomp a few years ago, running effects into and after the JVM using a combo of York Audio IRs and some of the new Helix cabs.

Clean Green is surprisingly versatile and takes pedals like a champ. It's been pretty cool running OD pedals into clean green and then using the Helix Princess cab or the new 1x12 Open Cast and Open Cream. OD1 into the YA MRSH MV30 412 is killer.

No need for valves vs digital when a hybrid of the two sounds this good... Now bring on the happy dance

happy.gif

Back