I lied about GAS. I want a single channel, face ripping Marshall

joobs are over-rated. You want a JMP 2203 or an early 800 / thread.
basically this. Jubilee would need a boost and still sound a bit tubby/soft.

For highest gain, SLX is a good shout. DSL red channel doesn’t need a boost and can get somewhat 5150 ish. JVM also does very high gain, just go for a 4 channel if you aren’t sure.

If you don’t mind a bit of solid state, JMP-1 preamp or 8100 are worth a sniff.

Otherwise just get some kind of 2203 or 2204 and boost the fuck out of it.

And if none of those tickle your pickle, then you don’t want a Marshall.

Boost pedals / FX are just tools in the toolbox.
I prefer the aggressive attack of setting the pre on a Marshall about 1/2 open maybe more and slamming the front end with a modified RAT /
TS 808 spec'd or similar.
Just makes it POP.

Last edited:
I LOVE me some RAT pedals. Maybe a good velcro strip on top of a DSL in crunch mode is all I need after all :rofl

923773f5e6566e692260861157e5730bf978052418233001e843666ee84e8908.jpg

Well, consider this-

In the 40 years people have been modding/boosting Marshalls, no single Marshall-branded amp has ever been made that does what modding/boosting one of those amps does, without being an entirely different amp (JVM/DSL), or a different brand altogether.

Zakk Wylde could have anyone make a head for him, even his own company, dude just sticks with 800’s an a boost.

Well, consider this-

In the 40 years people have been modding/boosting Marshalls, no single Marshall-branded amp has ever been made that does what modding/boosting one of those amps does, without being an entirely different amp (JVM/DSL), or a different brand altogether.

Zakk Wylde could have anyone make a head for him, even his own company, dude just sticks with 800’s an a boost.
Monoyith, that’s serious face melting Marshall.
You won’t want or need a boost.
That’s about as far as I’ve heard in the
face melts while retaining leftover pimples of Marshall DNA.
I bet a Doo-Doo, I mean Voodoo..VROCK
-will fry your face off leaving a pile of smoldering hair on the ground.

Monomyth amps are amazing, but let’s not pretend it’s a Marshall circuit. It’s Shea’s creation that (sometimes) lives in a Marshall chassis. You ain’t hearing the original amp, it’s his circuit that makes it what it is.

Back