I just geeked out on picks...

Jazz III are always great. I find I’m usually going the other way and looking for something just a little more substantial so I can dig in harder when I’m doing stuff like funk strumming.

Just did a quick search and these are all the Jazz III and Jazz III-ish picks I’ve tried over the years:

View attachment 691

Dava picks are interesting but I could get used to them.

What's the upper left one?

Always surprised how few people use Petrucci trinity.
It's awesome, best one from his picks. I just couldn't get along with his black Jazz, the red Flow is nice but wears out if you look at it.

Attachments

• 24545140117.MAIN__85324.jpg
    24545140117.MAIN__85324.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 21
Dava picks are interesting but I could get used to them.

What's the upper left one?

It’s a Bogg St Beast
https://bogstreet.com/products/mini-beast-6-pack?variant=32538067468373

I’m not crazy about that one. I get the concept, but it doesn’t really work for me. I have one of their Battle Ax picks I like though.

I love those Dava Jazz Grip picks. My two favorite picks are black Jazz III and Fender medium celluloid. The Dava is a good compromise for me between the two.

If they made those with Ultex and a beveled edge I might throw away all my other picks

Ain't nobody gonna talk about Bluechip picks? This thread ain't no part o' nothin' till we start talkin' Bluechip.

I bought one earlier this year...$40 is a lot for a pick but I never lose picks. Until I got the BlueChip of course. I lost it within a week.

When I DID have it, I liked it. It's super durable and had a bright pure tone. The downside is the thinnest one is 0.89 mm and I tend to like pics in the 0.60 to 0.70 range.

I bought one earlier this year...$40 is a lot for a pick but I never lose picks. Until I got the BlueChip of course. I lost it within a week.

When I DID have it, I liked it. It's super durable and had a bright pure tone. The downside is the thinnest one is 0.89 mm and I tend to like pics in the 0.60 to 0.70 range.
Yeah, I mean they're pretty much made for bluegrass where anything less than a mm is a questionable choice. I don't use mine on electric...I actually find it a little slicker off the strings than I like on electric. But for acoustic they are truly wonderful.

If you play acoustic in an ensemble and need volume and tone, it's worth every penny. If you play mandolin...I can't imagine using anything else.
Cool. I’ve only heard of them - haven’t never seen nor tried them.

And…

Where’s the “this post/thread is worthless without pics” emoji? errr something…. @Captain

I haven’t used anything other than Dava Control Nylon since the late 90s.

I used thin nylons and literally tore them apart with the strings, I tried a sixpence (I’m from the UK) and broke strings. Picks with smooth sides I kept dropping and loosing.

Bought a dozen Dava Control back when there was only one style and I still have 10 of them 25 years later. Some are a bit worn but they still offer good grip and the ability of going from flexible to stiff just by rolling my fingers. I can’t play with anything else, other than fingernails when fingerpicking.

One of those weird coincidences. As you wrote this my family sat down and watched the film “21”

There are no coincidences, only synchronicity! You were meant to be here!

Here's your robe, "Not A Cult" donation bucket is in the back!

• Haha
Reactions: JT
My sample pack from Pickboy came today, with picks ranging in thickness from .60mm, .75mm, .88mm, 1mm and 1.14mm.
20220923_195823.jpg

On the left are three .60mm picks. The Carbon Nylon (second from left) was stiffer than the Fibertex (1st) which was stiffer than my usual orange tortex. After a brief noodle, tone wise they were all comparable on my PRS.

The stiffer picks are like a compressor on my strings, always striking with near 100% attack whereas using the orange Tortex I can control my dynamics a little easier. They feel really nice to hold on to and play with though, that's for sure. The Fibertex is my favorite so far. I'd like to try some of these harder materials in thinner sizes if they exist. I'm sure I could adjust my playing and get used to these though.

And down the rabbit hole I go. At least it's an inexpensive hole if I don't go too deep!

Looking for a thin, more durable (than Tortex) plectrum. I've ordered some Dunlop 486PLT to try and looking at some Ultex, just wished they had something lighter than .60mm.

I'll be keeping a few of the different kinds in rotation over the next few months and figure out what I like.

After some rest, my ears do detect a slight difference in pick material but nothing that makes me want to stick with Tortex indefinitely.

My sample pack from Pickboy came today, with picks ranging in thickness from .60mm, .75mm, .88mm, 1mm and 1.14mm.
View attachment 856
On the left are three .60mm picks. The Carbon Nylon (second from left) was stiffer than the Fibertex (1st) which was stiffer than my usual orange tortex. After a brief noodle, tone wise they were all comparable on my PRS.

The stiffer picks are like a compressor on my strings, always striking with near 100% attack whereas using the orange Tortex I can control my dynamics a little easier. They feel really nice to hold on to and play with though, that's for sure. The Fibertex is my favorite so far. I'd like to try some of these harder materials in thinner sizes if they exist. I'm sure I could adjust my playing and get used to these though.
Bit jealous,

I just went hunting for some pickboys again and found they have no current UK distributor, at least not that stock the more interesting picks.

And if I buy from the states or EU, the postage is twice the cost of the picks 🤣

I’ve largely been a heavy handed player with heavy picks for the longest time, but the last year or two I’ve been a lot more focused on my picking dynamics which have taken me to lighter and lighter picks.

I’ve still got a lot of heavy stuff that comes out at times: v picks, glass, metal, 1.14+ normal materials, etc.

I use a .88 the most now, but want to try a size or two lighter also. With the .88 I can pick very lightly and still get a really strong note out of it too. If I want something even bigger I can use my fingers. I dial in the rig around the light to medium picking and then I’ve got another level to go to when I need it.

I’m surprised a lot of times by just how much I can change the tone by just changing picks and touching nothing else. Sometimes when a part just isn’t coming across the way I want I’ll reach in the pick tray and grab something else. A lot of times that’s all it takes.

D

I’ve largely been a heavy handed player with heavy picks for the longest time, but the last year or two I’ve been a lot more focused on my picking dynamics which have taken me to lighter and lighter picks.

I’ve still got a lot of heavy stuff that comes out at times: v picks, glass, metal, 1.14+ normal materials, etc.

I use a .88 the most now, but want to try a size or two lighter also. With the .88 I can pick very lightly and still get a really strong note out of it too. If I want something even bigger I can use my fingers. I dial in the rig around the light to medium picking and then I’ve got another level to go to when I need it.

I’m surprised a lot of times by just how much I can change the tone by just changing picks and touching nothing else. Sometimes when a part just isn’t coming across the way I want I’ll reach in the pick tray and grab something else. A lot of times that’s all it takes.

D
That’s funny - I’ve gone the opposite direction. From thin to heavy/thick now. A lot of what I play is riff-driven rock, and I find the heavy picks really works well for alternate picking, while helping me to keep my wrist/arm relaxed.

Back