I just geeked out on picks...

When cleaning up my desk I realized I had a lot more Jazz III picks than I thought and suddenly the inner guitar nerd in me whispered "....but do they sound different?"

View attachment 670

I opened Logic and grabbed a Strat then just played the same lick over and over again with each pick. Yes, they sound different. As soon as I was done I felt dirty; I had just slipped into an area I frequently speak down upon- minute tonal differences that don't f*cking matter. That said, it's really interesting how subtle differences have a big effect on things, mainly with the feel, which would influence me to pick differently to compensate for the change. Feel wise, I absolutely agree that finding the right pick is an important choice. Tonally, in the context of several Jazz III types within .50mm of each other? GTFO.

As long as there's some kind of grip on it and the rest of it is smooth, I dig it. I've been using the JP picks since they came out and have a ton of those, but in comparison to the rest it feels a bit clumsy due to the size. That's all I'm ever going to talk about picks again. I hate that I did this. And my buddy is right.

View attachment 671

Nice selection!
I like the Petrucci a lot except the price.

Sometimes I loose myself testing different picks. They do sound and feel different.

My all-time favorite is the red Jazz III XL. The shape and material is a perfect fit for my hand.

Also love one of the v-picks, I can't recall the mod now. I'll check it tomorrow.

I like the sound of the Ibanez Paul Gilbert (the white one). That one wears really fast though.

I also loved the old fender shaped celluloid Gibson but they don't do them anymore. The current ones sound like shit to me.

That was my issue with Tortex picks, I'd wear them down really fast. I used to use the green .88 Tortex picks, then the Jazz III version but the tips would grind down in just a few hours and I'd toss 'em. The Petrucci's really don't wear down.
The size and thickness of the regular Dunlop Tortex .60mm that doesn't eat away in 15 minutes would be my holy grail pick.

Open to suggestions if anyone has any

The size and thickness of the regular Dunlop Tortex .60mm that doesn't eat away in 15 minutes would be my holy grail pick.

[http://www.osiamo.com/PB37UP07

0.6mm, maybe a hair smaller than a standard dunlop Tortex, slightly bigger or comparable to a J3 XL, but very stiff and hard wearing by comparison to tortex.

I've got A few of both materials, really like em for a change.

Last edited:
0.6mm, maybe a hair smaller than a standard dunlop Tortex, slightly bigger or comparable to a J3 XL, but very stiff and hard wearing by comparison to tortex.
Hmm. How much stiffer than a Tortex? Those orange picks a have just the right amount of "give" to them. I went from .88, down the line to .50 and settled on .60 and haven't changed in like 10 years. Even my kids know to get me the orange turtle picks for my birthday.

Hmm. How much stiffer than a Tortex? Those orange picks a have just the right amount of "give" to them. I went from .88, down the line to .50 and settled on .60 and haven't changed in like 10 years. Even my kids know to get me the orange turtle picks for my birthday.

I have em both in 1.00 mm and there's little give in em at all. They're as stiff as my 1.4mm J3XL dunlop ultex (regular and primetone). Possibly theres a bit of flex in the 0.6mm

But that's related to their hardness. The more wear resistant, the harder and stiffer they'll be.

Btw, I edited one of the links as I posted a 0.75 Ultem (Ultex) instead of 0.6mm by mistake.

I'll try and get a pic of them in comparison to a Dunlop J3 XL later 👍

I'm probably in the minority on this but I only use stone picks for the last two years or so. Granted I pretty much only play rhythm, but they sound so thick, full and bright compared to anything else.

Those carbon/graphite pick boys have been my go to pick for 10+ years. I still have some love for them.

But these are my top 3

16635769362191360672111640750132.jpg

Yellow Turtles are great too.

These are what I use. I need some more yellows. They are juuuuuuust right for dad thrash gallops :satan

Attachments

• 20220919_071051.jpg
    20220919_071051.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 21
I used to use the Dunlop Prodigy picks that are smaller than a Jazz 3 but found they wear too quickly. I'd have to toss them out after an hour or two of use.

Now I use the Max Grip Carbon Fiber Jazz 3. It doesn't have the nice bevel that the Prodigy has and the grip took some getting used to, but they're small, stiff and last forever.

The gravity looks similar to my v-picks Lite. What material is that?
Honestly; not sure? Super rigid and much larger pick than I normally feel comfortable using but they ended up being easier to use than I expected.

Welcome to the abyss!

I used the same pick for like 15 years without ever thinking about it. Then one day I wondered what else was out there…

Today I’ve got this, and I sometimes use 3-4 different picks in a single gig

IMG_1702.jpg

:bag

By the way @DrewJD82 if you like the Petrucci you should definitely try the Trinity!

Welcome to the abyss!

I used the same pick for like 15 years without ever thinking about it. Then one day I wondered what else was out there…

Today I’ve got this, and I sometimes use 3-4 different picks in a single gig

View attachment 688

:bag

By the way @DrewJD82 if you like the Petrucci you should definitely try the Trinity!

I’ve got one kicking around somewhere but found it way to cumbersome in my fingers. After yesterday I ended up grabbing a bunch of regular Jazz III sizes over the JP’s I was using and think I’ll be going back there.

I'm there with you. Tortex doesn't wear down quite as quickly but warps, especially the thinner ones. Ultex doesn't warp but wears down quickly at the tip.

One worth trying is "Ever-Last" picks by Ernie Ball. They are kind of like Tortex but seem a little more durable. They do feel a touch stiffer though, the .60 feels in between the .60 and .73 Tortex.

fc47abf4-55f6-4675-bcda-e9ffddcd3cd0._CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300__.png

Back