I just geeked out on picks...

I’ve got one kicking around somewhere but found it way to cumbersome in my fingers. After yesterday I ended up grabbing a bunch of regular Jazz III sizes over the JP’s I was using and think I’ll be going back there.

Jazz III are always great. I find I’m usually going the other way and looking for something just a little more substantial so I can dig in harder when I’m doing stuff like funk strumming.

Just did a quick search and these are all the Jazz III and Jazz III-ish picks I’ve tried over the years:

IMG_1704.jpg

Jazz III are always great. I find I’m usually going the other way and looking for something just a little more substantial so I can dig in harder when I’m doing stuff like funk strumming.

Just did a quick search and these are all the Jazz III and Jazz III-ish picks I’ve tried over the years:

View attachment 691

The two in the left corner are what I’m going between now, the 2.0 and the other black one right above it. The 2.0 has that textured feel, it’s not buffed out that I really dig for gripping, but with clean/EOB tones it can get a little scratchy depending on how you hit the string. I hate that I’m discussing tonal aspects of picks on this level, but fact is, with a sh*tload of distortion, the metal stuff I’ve been doing for years doesn’t really allow for some of the finer details to come out. 3 single coils and a tiny amount of dirt will highlight the hell out of them.

In about a month I’m going to be walking around with a cane saying crap like “all these new kids are just hiding behind walls of distortion. If you need more than your fingers to get your tone it’s not gear you need it’s practice. Something about big iron because that’s a phrase that seems to have caught on pretty hard in the last 3 years.“

The two in the left corner are what I’m going between now, the 2.0 and the other black one right above it. The 2.0 has that textured feel, it’s not buffed out that I really dig for gripping, but with clean/EOB tones it can get a little scratchy depending on how you hit the string. I hate that I’m discussing tonal aspects of picks on this level, but fact is, with a sh*tload of distortion, the metal stuff I’ve been doing for years doesn’t really allow for some of the finer details to come out. 3 single coils and a tiny amount of dirt will highlight the hell out of them.

In about a month I’m going to be walking around with a cane saying crap like “all these new kids are just hiding behind walls of distortion. If you need more than your fingers to get your tone it’s not gear you need it’s practice. Something about big iron because that’s a phrase that seems to have caught on pretty hard in the last 3 years.“

I really like the original black “stiffo”. I played most of my last run of shows with those. My only problem with the 2.0 is the edge not being beveled.

My current fav are the Dava. They’re not perfect, more of a compromise, but they give me as close as possible to the size of the Jazz III with a bit more versatility. And I love the extra grip. They’re maybe a hair bigger than the Petrucci.

If you’re exploring pick tone with clean/EOB tones on a Strat you should at least try a 351 medium celluloid

I used the green tortex Jazz IIIs for years and recently switched it up to something closer to standard size.

I am really digging the Dunlop Primetone .88 Jazz III XL. That’s my favorite rn and then the standard green tortex .88.

1B730088-5781-4E5E-A6CA-FB9029C9743F.jpeg

I wish that I liked the shape of the Flow picks as they are getting very popular and common, but I don't like them much. I like the Ultex Sharp shape, or T3, but I've been using standard shape because I like the versatility.

Back