I just geeked out on picks...

I’ve largely been a heavy handed player with heavy picks for the longest time, but the last year or two I’ve been a lot more focused on my picking dynamics which have taken me to lighter and lighter picks.

I’ve still got a lot of heavy stuff that comes out at times: v picks, glass, metal, 1.14+ normal materials, etc.

I use a .88 the most now, but want to try a size or two lighter also. With the .88 I can pick very lightly and still get a really strong note out of it too. If I want something even bigger I can use my fingers. I dial in the rig around the light to medium picking and then I’ve got another level to go to when I need it.

I’m surprised a lot of times by just how much I can change the tone by just changing picks and touching nothing else. Sometimes when a part just isn’t coming across the way I want I’ll reach in the pick tray and grab something else. A lot of times that’s all it takes.

D
I'm pretty heavy-handed, especially when I'm wearing my "entertainer" hat, or singing, and not focusing solely on my playing - which is precisely why using a thicker pick doesn't work for me, personally. I'll end up smacking a note too hard and have it go sharp with a stiff pick. With softer picks I can strike through the string instead of striking it and having it flail.

I really have to ease up with stiffer picks, which is probably good for technique in the long run

That’s funny - I’ve gone the opposite direction. From thin to heavy/thick now. A lot of what I play is riff-driven rock, and I find the heavy picks really works well for alternate picking, while helping me to keep my wrist/arm relaxed.
I find the same. Ive been playing a lot of RnB and soul, so not very aggressive music where a lighter pick helps, but they throw in the random riff-driven classic rock song in and a heavier pick works well

That’s funny - I’ve gone the opposite direction. From thin to heavy/thick now. A lot of what I play is riff-driven rock, and I find the heavy picks really works well for alternate picking, while helping me to keep my wrist/arm relaxed.

I started with thinner stuff, went to really heavy for a very long time, and then recently started going to the medium side of things. It was mainly because I realized that a lot of my favorite players are actually using a very light touch even when it looks like they aren’t.

It’s been a cool experiment and one I’ve stuck with. That .88 pick has been the ideal middle ground for me. I can relax my grip on it and get a very soft touch to clean things up, or grip it and hit hard and get a lot of punch. I think I get the most dynamic range I’ve had so far this way. At this point it’s become second nature to me.

I’m doing pretty diverse material though recently where that range helps. If it was mainly rock shows and riffs, I wouldn’t have had the opportunity to mess with this.

D

I really have to ease up with stiffer picks, which is probably good for technique in the long run

First of all, with picks, as with everything in guitar, whatever works for you is what works period.

That being said, from personal experience, playing with very heavy chicken picks (3.2mm) taught me to lighten up a lot, and more importantly, loosen my grip on the pick. That was a big revelation.

This translated backwards well to lighter gauges and what I realised I liked was stiff picks, but not necessarily heavy/thick picks.

For me, a stiff medium-ish pick (which is actually a heavy pick in and around 1mm) is Extremely nimble, whilst retaining attack.

Try the Tortex Flex .60mm - it’s a little more flexible than the standard Tortex and seems a little more durable in not warping. But not as bright as the Ultex .60mm.

I did this last night, and it has nothing to do with latent or repressed sexuality. :LOL:

It's a great thing to do from time to time. It really higlighted how hung up on an old
habit I was, and that I assumed I had already settled the Great Pick Debate.

I was WRONG!

Totally changed up my pipck of choice game and both my tone and playing are now .0001% better. (y)

Gonna keep the winner a secret so everyone doesn't hoard it and then I can't find it anywhere. :hmm

:rofl

B2D48001-E196-42FD-867E-267B738362CD.jpeg

😔

I want to know why Fender did away with the embossing of their logo? If not for that, I would probably still be using them. It forced me to try all sorts of different picks. I landed on the Tortex Sharps 1.0 for a while, until I discoverd Jazz 3's. Took a little while to get used to the smaller size, but now I can't play larger picks. Just feel too bulky.

until I discoverd Jazz 3's. Took a little while to get used to the smaller size, but now I can't play larger picks. Just feel too bulky.
Yep. I can’t use anything else. I’ve tried everyone in that box above and keep coming back to good old Jazz III’s.

Came back to the orange turtles (.60mm) after trying out a bunch. I think I really like the D'Addario Duralin .60mm because I got one in a sample pack and think they might last a little longer. I just don't want to pay over $11 for a shipment of $3 picks from their website :hmm

Amazon has all of them but the .60mm

Came back to the orange turtles (.60mm) after trying out a bunch. I think I really like the D'Addario Duralin .60mm because I got one in a sample pack and think they might last a little longer. I just don't want to pay over $11 for a shipment of $3 picks from their website :hmm

Amazon has all of them but the .60mm
Sweetwater has free shipping.

Back