I have no idea how or what to play on a Strat

Mine is a SSS, no humbuckers, sounds like poop with distortion.
When you say distortion, what do you mean and what amps are you putting it through?

The reason I ask is that I've always considered SSS Strats to be somewhat hollow/thin in the midrange, not unlike Fender amps. I've rarely found hard-edged distortion pedals to work well with them. I've had MUCH better results with Fuzz and mid-forward OD pedals into edge of breakup amps where the reduced compression of single coils becomes a feature because you can get an aggressive sound that still has clarity and can usually clean up into something really pleasant.

In other words, you have to treat a SSS Strat differently than you might something loaded with humbuckers. There are things single coils can do that humbuckers cannot and vice versa once you spend some time with single coils.

I've rarely found hard-edged distortion pedals to work well with them. I've had MUCH better results with Fuzz and mid-forward OD pedals into edge of breakup amps
Yeah, I need to completely change my approach to gain staging, amp tone and playing, single coils are SO different.
I think I will start by finding an amp model that sounds thick but still tight and not fizzy with single coils.

Yeah, I need to completely change my approach to gain staging, amp tone and playing, single coils are SO different.
I think I will start by finding an amp model that sound thick but still tight and not fizzy with single coils.
I'd say ditch the HX/NAM stuff for now and use one of your real amps to get an idea of how to go about it in the real world.

Hahahah I was going to suggest diggin’ on some EJ for Strat inspiration but that could also drive someone to the brink of mentOnal illness.

And yeah, I use entirely different presets for single coils and humbuckers. I’ve got one preset that works GREAT for both and it’s the JCM800 Mod in the Fractal stuff. I mean, it’s not like we don’t have preset space, why not make new presets for new tones, ya know?

Using humbuckers with some of my Gilmour/EJ presets sounds like straight trash and vice versa a lot of times, but there’s a lot of variation in the pickups I have, so I wouldn’t expect there to be many crossover points.

I can't do Strats. The volume knob is right where I rest my pinky/ring finger, I never liked looking at all those screws, and even though I love Gilmour's tones, most all the others that guitar produces are just yuk to me. :sofa¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bob ross life GIF

I'd say ditch the HX/NAM stuff for now and use one of your real amps to get an idea of how to go about it in the real world.
This is good advice. It’s tough to articulate what single coils do without experiencing it with some air moving. They punch different than humbuckers and can get rude bordering on unhinged when you get the signal chain really wound up.

If I’m in HX land, I have burned countless hours putting a Strat or tele through the Deluxe Reverb (normal or bright) into a green back 4x12 with the amp drive up around 6-8 so it’s crunchy. Watch the bass or it gets flubby. This tone alone I find can be very inspiring and is great with single coils, but I’ll also use this setup to take a stroll through the HX boosts and drives to see what other colors I can add.

I guess it also needs to be said…if someone is trying to do the EVH or Modern Metal thing with a SSS Strat…that’s IMO a waste of time. Strats have useful limits, like most guitars. Not gonna happen unless you are using VERY high gain amps.

• 100%
Reactions: JT
There’s the idea of what you want to play, and what you actually play.

Which I keep telling myself while I circle the waters on a strat myself, knowing my LP and RG do all the chughead stuff I typically play.

:bag

Back