Why isn't bass cut a more popular feature on a guitar?

Yeah I use it usually to add a bit more bass for clean tones and then make it leaner for overdrive. For me not having to press a footswitch, configure an amp or pedal, and just being able to roll down a knob right there and then is handy.

I kinda want to add one to my Skervesen Shoggie 8-string, but it would require a concentric knob.
I think I can use a similar setup.

Once modelers came around allowing precise EQ control at any stage in the signal chain...honestly, if I could I'd remove the tone control entirely on near every guitar I own I would.

Yes of course, you can turn any unwanted tone into music with the right tweak.
While I'm a big fan of noise especially from drone synthesizers, I don't enjoy listening to feedback from a particular frequency.

To me the tone controls on the guitar have a sweet spot and I just leave it there. The same goes for analog synthesizer settings only since you're looking modulation one dial setting affects another so you're always finding that sweet spot.

guitars have a lot of modulation control over the oscillating strings (oscillators) using fingers, palms, body for vibrato, bending, muting etc.

While I'm a big fan of noise especially from drone synthesizers, I don't enjoy listening to feedback from a particular frequency.

To me the tone controls on the guitar have a sweet spot and I just leave it there. The same goes for analog synthesizer settings only since you're looking modulation one dial setting affects another so you're always finding that sweet spot.

guitars have a lot of modulation control over the oscillating strings (oscillators) using fingers, palms, body for vibrato, bending, muting etc.
If that's what floats your boat. I can't force my preference to you, but I bet you are crushing it with that setup.

Anyone have a schematic for this? Is it a high pass filter?

IMG_1699.jpeg

Pot values of 500K work well, but you can also try 1M. Play around with cap values too. 0.022 - 0.047µF for treble pot, 0.001 - 0.002µF for bass pot -- or try something else.

View attachment 13630

Pot values of 500K work well, but you can also try 1M. Play around with cap values too. 0.022 - 0.047µF for treble pot, 0.001 - 0.002µF for bass pot -- or try something else.
I recommend 1M pots and that's what G&L uses. If you use it for treble knob too, expect to turn the knob down a lot. On my G&L Legacy my tone knob is often somewhere around 5-6 which puts it more in line with typical Strat tones, with added headroom to go up if you want brighter.

I used 500K on my Flaxwood Rautia (dual humbuckers) for the bass cut and the range isn't quite as natural as on my G&L Legacy with 1M pots. I used a 2.2 nF/0.0022 µF cap.

Using 1M pots for both volume and tone knobs in my G&L Legacy provides added headroom for brighter tones, typically set around 5-6 for a more Strat-like sound, while on my Flaxwood Rautia with dual humbuckers, the 500K pots and a 2.2 nF/0.0022 µF cap for bass cut result in a slightly different and less natural range compared to the G&L Legacy with 1M pots.

I can also see how this would benefit modern metal type stuff where cutting gain pre-gain is a vital component to the tone. I did try putting 1meg pots in a HSH guitar once and I liked the results but I think a bass-cut might actually make more sense.

I can also see how this would benefit modern metal type stuff where cutting gain pre-gain is a vital component to the tone. I did try putting 1meg pots in a HSH guitar once and I liked the results but I think a bass-cut might actually make more sense.
I would love to see your work. Feel free to share them once you are done.

Back