I don't know what I want but I want it

The Eagle (TA-30) has landed. Well, plummeted more like. I'm at work for another two hours, and my wife is texting me pictures of a crumpled box that GC apparently dug out of a dumpster and then hurled in a general north easterly direction, all the way from GA. UPS might have gotten the pass and scored the goal down my driveway; it's hard to tell.

:facepalm :hmm:nails
Those assholes! Positive mojo sent!

I’m trying to jumpstart my thoughts and prayers machine for your amp. Really hoping that’s a box within a box.

FWIW if I had to pick an amp brand to survive a sub par shipping experience it’s gonna be Mesa, but I do share the concern, especially around what they may or may not have done to protect those tubes.

Thanks, all. We'll know in about 45 minutes. :beer
:nails:nails:nails:nails
Pop Tv Please GIF by One Day At A Time

My TA-30 is seemingly indestructible. No tolex to rip. No wood to have screws pulled out of. It's
closest to a Military Grade/Spec amp I have ever seen.

The top is easily removed with a few screws to access the tubes, too. I'd pull the top to make sure
they are seated well----provided they did not pull them.

OK, here goes:

A little bit of cosmetic wear, nothing sufficient to evidence damage in shipping. Woot! Much cooler looking in person than I expected. It is indeed compact - kinda my thing - and I agree with @la szum that the no-tolex finish is very hip. The back panel is really no-nonsense, and all of the controls are on the front. Aces. No accessories (footswitch, etc.) included but none were promised, and for $800 I didn't ask. The aluminum/ brushed steel part on top is heavily oxidized - perhaps even suggesting heat damage. That was my only initial concern.

So I adored my TA-30... for the first 15 minutes. Channel 1 sounds amazing in both modes, the Class A 15W setting has more character than the 5W mode on my Express; the reverb is way nicer than I expected; the EQ is simple but effective. A+.

Switch to channel 2... pfft. Nothing. Well, almost nothing. I get an eerie sound like someone blowing air across the top of a microphone. No guitar present until the volume is up to "if this amp decides to surprise me it's going to really hurt" levels. And if I leave it running like this for more than 30 seconds, there's a little "pop", the fan turns off, and it's dead silence. Switching back to channel 1 and futzing around for a while brings audio and fan back on line.

Super sketchy. Anyone have a sense as to whether these symptoms could be caused by bad tubes, or whether it's likely more serious? I don't know how deep I want to dive yet, because I haven't even heard the channel 2 modes.

OK, here goes:

A little bit of cosmetic wear, nothing sufficient to evidence damage in shipping. Woot! Much cooler looking in person than I expected. It is indeed compact - kinda my thing - and I agree with @la szum that the no-tolex finish is very hip. The back panel is really no-nonsense, and all of the controls are on the front. Aces. No accessories (footswitch, etc.) included but none were promised, and for $800 I didn't ask. The aluminum/ brushed steel part on top is heavily oxidized - perhaps even suggesting heat damage. That was my only initial concern.

So I adored my TA-30... for the first 15 minutes. Channel 1 sounds amazing in both modes, the Class A 15W setting has more character than the 5W mode on my Express; the reverb is way nicer than I expected; the EQ is simple but effective. A+.

Switch to channel 2... pfft. Nothing. Well, almost nothing. I get an eerie sound like someone blowing air across the top of a microphone. No guitar present until the volume is up to "if this amp decides to surprise me it's going to really hurt" levels. And if I leave it running like this for more than 30 seconds, there's a little "pop", the fan turns off, and it's dead silence. Switching back to channel 1 and futzing around for a while brings audio and fan back on line.

Super sketchy. Anyone have a sense as to whether these symptoms could be caused by bad tubes, or whether it's likely more serious? I don't know how deep I want to dive yet, because I haven't even heard the channel 2 modes.

Sounds like a preamp tube to me... presumably a later stage one since channel seems vine. If you don't have any lying around I'd pilfer one from your express and roll it through each position and see if thats the culprit. Also make sure all the preamp tubes are seated properly. Before even rolling you can sus out if it is the preamp section at all by plugging the guitar directly into the return of the FX loop and seeing if you get signal on channel 2 (start with the master off and bring it up when testing this)

Document it not working and your conclusions if that works and email the GC you purchased it from requesting to be comped 1 or more preamp tubes for the trouble.

OK, here goes:

The fan going out doesn’t seem like a tube problem to me. The oxidation is def something that is present on some TA amps and not something I’d be too worried about unless you do see signs of actual heat damage.

Probably a good idea to follow other suggestions to replace V2 or later stage preamp tubes in the event you have a couple small issues happening that just seem like one big issue. It happens.

What did the packing job look like inside the outermost box?

Sounds like a preamp tube to me... presumably a later stage one since channel seems vine. If you don't have any lying around I'd pilfer one from your express and roll it through each position and see if thats the culprit. Also make sure all the preamp tubes are seated properly. Before even rolling you can sus out if it is the preamp section at all by plugging the guitar directly into the return of the FX loop and seeing if you get signal on channel 2 (start with the master off and bring it up when testing this)

Document it not working and your conclusions if that works and email the GC you purchased it from requesting to be comped 1 or more preamp tubes for the trouble.
Thanks! Preamp tube is what I had in mind, but I wanted at least one 2nd opinion before diving in.

I’ve literally never heard an amp make this sound before. Otherworldly…

The fan going out doesn’t seem like a tube problem to me. The oxidation is def something that is present on some TA amps and not something I’d be too worried about unless you do see signs of actual heat damage.

Probably a good idea to follow other suggestions to replace V2 or later stage preamp tubes in the event you have a couple small issues happening that just seem like one big issue. It happens.

Yeah the fan stopping and dead silence is what finally scared me off playing with the controls and hoping it was user error. I wonder if there’s some kind of safety circuit that disconnects if the amp is running to far out of spec. Can’t be a fuse, since the amp can be coaxed back to ch 1 operation.

Helpful advice, thanks.

The packing was just the one smashed up, torn open box exposing the amp itself, which had been rolled in bubble wrap and taped in a couple places. You could see which corners the box had been dropped on, because the bubble wrap was popped flat all along those corners. It's amazing the amp didn't get damaged. Or perhaps a tube or two did. :idk

Morons optimists.

Try switching the REV/FX Loop/Bypass toggle on Channel 2 and see if there is a difference when you do.

I had issues with Ch. 2 once and it was a bad tube in Reverb/FX Loop slot.

Back