I don't know what I want but I want it

And if you are getting volume/sound on Channel 1 then 99% certain not an issue with power tubes/power section.

Try switching the REV/FX Loop/Bypass toggle on Channel 2 and see if there is a difference when you do.

I had issues with Ch. 2 once and it was a bad tube in Reverb/FX Loop slot.
I'm starting to think I've got multiple problems here (because of course I do...)

I swapped out the V2 preamp tube with one of the 12AX7s from my Express. At first I didn't think there was any improvement, but I just had the Gain and Master too low. They're tapered a lot differently than on other similarly powered amps. (Even my Express 5:25 gets louder, faster. Or maybe this indicates further trouble in the power section? :unsure:) Bottom line, ch. 2 was now back on line, but unusably noisy until I bypassed FX/Reverb. So maybe there's another bad tube at V5?

That may be the least of my worries, though, because after 10 minutes of running through all the modes in Ch. 2, and feeling pretty good about them (1st impressions: Tweed is the standout, a real joy to play; Hi 1 and Hi 2 would really benefit from a mid control), the fan and output quit again. I had the FX/Rev on at that point, and when I bypassed it the amp came back to life, then started randomly dying and coming back every 15 seconds or so. At this point I got spooked, turned it off and walked away.

I'm going to have to try swapping more of the preamp tubes, and then flip the amp over and see what I see in the power section. The intermittent fan/output problem is seeming like a shorted power tube, assuming it’s a tube problem at all. :idk

Last edited:
Man, sorry for the buzzkill. :(

You can fully test the power section on Channel 1 by running it through the various modes (40, 30, and 15).

If it is all good on Ch. 1 then you could largely omit the power section from having any issues, and then
try both V2 and V3 swaps.

Also, maybe shoot some De-Ox-It into the FX send and returns on the back, and work a cable in and out
of them to make sure isn't an issue with the Loop jacks. Sometimes if they go unused for a long time they
can oxidize and cut in/out.

Pulling for ya!

Man, sorry for the buzzkill. :(

You can fully test the power section on Channel 1 by running it through the various modes (40, 30, and 15).

If it is all good on Ch. 1 then you could largely omit the power section from having any issues, and then
try both V2 and V3 swaps.

Also, maybe shoot some De-Ox-It into the FX send and returns on the back, and work a cable in and out
of them to make sure isn't an issue with the Loop jacks. Sometimes if they go unused for a long time they
can oxidize and cut in/out.

Pulling for ya!
Thank you! I'm actually trying to get at the power tubes now, because it seems like the amp will remain stable for a good long time in Ch. 2 at 15W, and then get all flaky the minute I switch to 40W.

I'm having trouble making any sense of it. I put the TA-30's V2 12AX7 back in... and it seemed to work better than before I made the swap. So that was apparently never a problem to begin with. Chasing gremlins now. :(

I found what might have qualified as a loose power tube, reseated it, bolted the amp back together and played for a glorious 15 minutes or so. I REALLY thought I had it this time. (All modes working, no problems at all apart from that noisy FX/Rev on channel 2.) And I discovered/ remembered the Gain Boost pull, which made me very happy. Then, the amp died randomly. And now I can’t seem to resuscitate at all.

Dammit. It lasted just long enough for me to realize how much I like it. :(

Bummer @mbenigni

Sounds like an expensive project. Things like this and the shipping snafus are why I like to have items shipped directly to store to be able to leave them there and get a refund or even have the item serviced on the spot.

go to a real music shop with your guitar if you are not familiar with amps and try them, that is the best advice I can tell

Just guitar centers out here with either the same tired garbage I don't want or things way out of my budget. Either way I'm all sorted with my PRS MT15! Just played it again yesterday on my day off when the family was out. I hadn't put it up to full power mode in months and it was glorious

Fuse go? Or it turns on but no sound anywhere?
The latter. It seems more inclined to give up the ghost in Ch. 2, but once it’s done so, it will then proceed to run, die, run, die etc at random in any mode or channel. I think. I HATE intermittent failures like this because they’re so hard to keep track of. :(

Sounds like an expensive project. Things like this and the shipping snafus are why I like to have items shipped directly to store to be able to leave them there and get a refund or even have the item serviced on the spot.
That was my initial plan. Unfortunately GC won’t “initiate an interstore shipment”, as they call it, for used items without charging you shipping. I was hoping to let them move it between stores and skip shipping fees altogether. But with those fees being equal, it was actually more convenient for me to have the amp dropped (literally, alas) on my doorstep, so I could kick the tires in peace. If I do have to return it, the store in question is only 20 minutes away, so… :idk

Not sure whether they’ll refund shipping if I decide I have to return the amp. Dude said only if it was damaged en route, but I’ll go full Karen if they don’t cover for a product that was damaged *before they even sold it*.

Different problem for a different day. Right now the problem is that I LOVE the amp and I want to find a way to keep it. Without turning a good deal into a bad one by way of a bench fee.

When I got my TA-30 combo from GC, the wheel casters were thrown inside the cabinet loose. They ended up stuck to the speaker magnet. I'm suprised all the tubes weren't smashed. The amp squealed like a pig at first. I replaced all the tubes and it came back to life gloriously.

Get it sorted out and it'll be worth it I'm sure.

Googling around, I found this quote pertaining to intermittent failures vs the blue LEDs:

I found this thread of yours from years ago but it relates to a problem I have with my TA30 2x12. The blue LEDs on the front are causing the amp to cut out
intermittently (took about 2 years to find out they were the problem) I've disconnected the wire that powers them so the amp works fine now, but as I like the look of the
LEDs, is it possible to connect a battery to the wire to run them independently of the amp? If so, what voltage would that be? I figure if anyone can answer this
it would be you
Bit of a shot in the dark, though.(LOL literally.)

Last edited:
I hate this experience. 1000%. GC "shipping department" is the devil :cuss :cuss :cuss

When I got my Orange Rockerverb, the FedEx guy was hauling it up on his shoulder and when he got to my door, just straight up dropped it off the back of his shoulder to set it down.

Surprisingly it was fine but I thought for sure that thing was going to have atleast a few broken tubes.

Elsewhere:
1685019269056.jpeg

But this is weird. There’s no way the TA-30 got past the design team and out the door with switching issues this severe. So maybe this is a mod to fix a part that was known to fail after so many hours/ years of service? Meaning a lot of “stock” TA-30s have limited shelf lives?

Confused. :/

Last edited:
I hate this experience. 1000%. GC "shipping department" is the devil :cuss :cuss :cuss
At this point I honestly don’t know whether to blame GC, UPS… or Mesa. Honestly Mesa is starting to look like the most likely culprit.

I might just have to return this amp :( put the $800+ in my “money I’m allowed to spend” pile, and start ENGL-hunting or something.

The TA-30 is really sweet when it’s working, though. :/

At this point I honestly don’t know whether to blame GC, UPS… or Mesa. Honestly Mesa is starting to look like the most likely culprit.

I might just have to return this amp :( put the $800+ in my “money I’m allowed to spend” pile, and start ENGL-hunting or something.

The TA-30 is really sweet when it’s working, though. :/
Could you make any captures before shipping it out?

Could you make any captures before shipping it out?
I’d have to be really quick about it LOL.(Because of the intermittent failures, not the return window.)

And honestly it isn’t like there aren’t already plenty of excellent captures of similar (or same) amps. With the actual head, it’s about the feel of having the real power amp driving the speaker, the utility of having pre/ power/ spring reverb in one box, etc.

Back