I don't get the Dumble thing

I've spent some time with an $8K Dumble ODS clone made with all vintage parts

Incredible fucking amp to be sure.....for me personally though 2K is the absolute most i'd pay for a guitar amp

There is some truth there. I had a really close call once. The hair on my arms stood straight up right before the lighting hit. It was maybe 10 ft away from me where it hit.

#floridalife

My first week living down here I was getting baked on my back patio and lightning struck the canal about 30 feet in front of me, I almost fell out of the fucking chair. That shit is so damn loud you feel the concussion of it. Then that smell in the air, burning but not-quite.

IlzjutY.jpg

Pffft, how’s this guy gonna know toan with a Squire?

...Or more specifically, I don't get why Dumble clones are several grand more than most other types of amps.

I was listening to That Pedal Show where they were able to play Robben Ford's real Dumble amp, which prompted this thread.

I've played a couple of Dumble style amps but no idea what specific Dumble model they were based on. I've also played the Dumble in the Axe-Fx 3 as well as all the other Dumble-like amps in the Fractal.

To me Dumbles when clean sound basically like Fenders with a lot more midrange emphasis. When overdriven, they start to take a character more like a Bassman or Marshall. I have nothing against the sound, when done well they sound very nice, but not in some different category that you couldn't get out of much more pedestrian amps with some choice pedals.

Yet somehow these amps, and clones of them, have become almost mythical as if there's something so magic about them that warrants the prices asked. I'd say a lot of the "magic" is in the Celestion G12-65 speakers often paired with these amps.
Robin Ford in his prime was no joke.
That man can sing over complex chord structures
and can let a solo rip and comes back in on the
verse like a pistol.

For me.. Dumble is the sound of the release of constipation through the bowels…
Now the next time you hear a Dumble..it’ll be when you’re taking a dump…Dumple=Dumble..

...Or more specifically, I don't get why Dumble clones are several grand more than most other types of amps.

I was listening to That Pedal Show where they were able to play Robben Ford's real Dumble amp, which prompted this thread.

I've played a couple of Dumble style amps but no idea what specific Dumble model they were based on. I've also played the Dumble in the Axe-Fx 3 as well as all the other Dumble-like amps in the Fractal.

To me Dumbles when clean sound basically like Fenders with a lot more midrange emphasis. When overdriven, they start to take a character more like a Bassman or Marshall. I have nothing against the sound, when done well they sound very nice, but not in some different category that you couldn't get out of much more pedestrian amps with some choice pedals.

Yet somehow these amps, and clones of them, have become almost mythical as if there's something so magic about them that warrants the prices asked. I'd say a lot of the "magic" is in the Celestion G12-65 speakers often paired with these amps.

Everything is so subjective. If people grew up listening to 2203 Marshalls all their lives, they'd probably have no appreciation of a Boogie Mark IIC+.

I've got a 3 channel version of a Redplate Blackverb, and two Fuchs, and Boogie Mark IIC+ (circa 1985). All have terrific clean channels and fantastic overdrives. All a bit different, but all are "American" Fender based in sound. All are special to me anyway. Redplate and Fuchs supposed non-HRM Dumble derivatives.

Special are the tones folks like Larry Carlton and Robben Ford got from their respective Dumbles.

BTW: A couple of weeks ago, someone had a Carol Ann Tucana II 50 watt for sale on Reverb for $1350! My credit card was too hot to touch for the rest of the day. I just can't justify buying another amp, especially when my FM3 has the model of the amp in question.

I almost fell out of the fucking chair. That shit is so damn loud you feel the concussion of it. Then that smell in the air, burning but not-quite.

When my kids were young we were having a cook out and out of absolutely nowhere a flash lit the entire sky and a split second later we were all knocked on our asses with ears ringing.

Ozone was what I smelled.

Everything is so subjective. If people grew up listening to 2203 Marshalls all their lives, they'd probably have no appreciation of a Boogie Mark IIC+.

I've got a 3 channel version of a Redplate Blackverb, and two Fuchs, and Boogie Mark IIC+ (circa 1985). All have terrific clean channels and fantastic overdrives. All a bit different, but all are "American" Fender based in sound. All are special to me anyway. Redplate and Fuchs supposed non-HRM Dumble derivatives.

Special are the tones folks like Larry Carlton and Robben Ford got from their respective Dumbles.

BTW: A couple of weeks ago, someone had a Carol Ann Tucana II 50 watt for sale on Reverb for $1350! My credit card was too hot to touch for the rest of the day. I just can't justify buying another amp, especially when my FM3 has the model of the amp in question.
And the Fm3 is nothing like having the real thing.

Back