Hot Take

"Polite" is a great descriptor, and one I would have never thought to use. Kudos to the cats who did. :beer

That kind of nails it. There isn't a lot of that iconic snarl in Friedmans.

"Excuse me. May I be seated please? Thank you! You are all so kind." :LOL:

Reactions: JT
"Polite" is a great descriptor, and one I would have never thought to use. Kudos to the cats who did. :beer

That kind of nails it. There isn't a lot of that iconic snarl in Friedmans.

"Excuse me. May I be seated please? Thank you! You are all so kind." :LOL:
I’ll give you the Friedmans are typically more predictable and better behaved.

Every time I played a Marshall and loved the sound, the same model the next 9 times I tried it sounded like ass. When Marshalls are on they’re great. Dial out the fizzy, flubby and warty they sound to me….a lot like a Friedman. I’ll also grant you across the product line the values and tapers of the knobs are nearly fool proof. You have to try really hard to get bad tone from one of their amps, while you really need to dial in a Marshall to get a great sound. This has been my experience. Full disclosure, I own 4 Marshalls (DSL, JCM900 HGDR, JCM900 MKIII, Original 2555) and 3 Friedmans (Phil X, SS100 and BE100) so I have both dogs in this fight, personally.

I’ve played the BE100, Runt 20 and 50, and most recently (this week) the Dirty Shirley. The BE100 is probably more than I’d need/want gain-wise, but the Runts sounded good, and the Dirty Shirley was beautiful. Really impressed with that one, without a doubt. Would LOVE to try the Smallbox, because I think that’d be my sweet spot. Not that I need another amp (though, it does have a chance of actually being available).

I’ve played the BE100, Runt 20 and 50, and most recently (this week) the Dirty Shirley. The BE100 is probably more than I’d need/want gain-wise, but the Runts sounded good, and the Dirty Shirley was beautiful. Really impressed with that one, without a doubt. Would LOVE to try the Smallbox, because I think that’d be my sweet spot. Not that I need another amp (though, it does have a chance of actually being available).
Check out the BE-OD pedal too.

The only Friedmans I’ve bonded with were in modelers. Strangely enough to me his real amps sound good but not my cup of tea and I’m a huge Marshall fan. The channel switching amps I’ve bonded with the most were either a Suhr, Bogner, or a Soldano.

I once went on the search for the ultimate boutique version of the Vox AC30 I loved.

What I started to realize in the end was that all of these amps that "fixed" and "improved" on the original Vox eliminated some of what I loved about the original Vox. All those "flaws" from the original are part of what makes it what it is and what I love. When you "fix" those things you change it from what it was into something completely different.

Some might like the different thing better, but it's not the same. It's not an "improved" Vox, it's a totally different amp.

I feel the same way about Friedman vs Marshall

Back