Hmmm?

This reminds me of the early-mid 90’s when people started throwing BBE Sonic Maximizers in their rigs, “I didn’t know I needed it until I had it! This makes my rig come alive!”

Happy Gilmore Win GIF

I am all but sold on this device. I found some on Reverb that are $50 cheaper than what Sweetwater is selling it for. I am going out of town for a few days. I may order one of these when I get back.

I am all but sold on this device. I found some on Reverb that are $50 cheaper than what Sweetwater is selling it for. I am going out of town for a few days. I may order one of these when I get back.
Which version did you find on reverb?
Is it the newest version?

Just a heads up some of those may be software only, not the new hardware unit.

Guilty.

Bout 10 years on, I turned it off, and was like, "Wow! This makes my rig sound SO much better!" :rofl

I mean, it DOES make everything sound “better” as we traditionally understand things to be “better”, but once you understand what’s going on and what we’re actually going for with guitar tones, ya realize it took you in the opposite direction!

And they DID work in some rigs, to be fair. There was a dude in my hometown who had one, I can’t remember for the life of me what the rest of his rig was aside from a 31-band EQ, it was some kind of single rack solid state pre-amp for the amp, maybe a Peavey Transtube thing? But that dude had a pretty rippin’ tone and it was particularly tight for being a 7 string-based band at that time (99)

I mean, it DOES make everything sound “better” as we traditionally understand things to be “better”, but once you understand what’s going on and what we’re actually going for with guitar tones, ya realize it took you in the opposite direction!

And they DID work in some rigs, to be fair. There was a dude in my hometown who had one, I can’t remember for the life of me what the rest of his rig was aside from a 31-band EQ,
Which he used to compensate for what the BBE did! :rofl
it was some kind of single rack solid state pre-amp for the amp, maybe a Peavey Transtube thing? But that dude had a pretty rippin’ tone and it was particularly tight for being a 7 string-based band at that time (99)
My buddy who turned me onto it, said, "It's like taking a blanket off your speakers." Ok. But it took me a long time to really figure out why I'd get lost in the mix.

Room correction is meant for a static position... When he gets up on stage for his 8 minute set changeover is he running around with a reference mic quickly getting 50 captures of the surroundings to make sure its all dialled in.

I mean I guess if the F R F R speakers were in a fixed position at home then running correction could help knock out some bad reflections... Just seems like a big brain solution that would need constant recalibrating if you ever moved the F R F R setup... as @texhex says, just turn it up and tweak the EQ for 30 seconds :rofl

Just a heads up some of those may be software only, not the new hardware unit.
That is a good point. Thanks for bringing that up. I see the one from zZounds looks to be just the plugin with the microphone. I definitely want the hardware unit.

I'd be tempted if it wasn't IK Multimedia. After the fiasco I went through when selling my Axe I/O and Tonex, they can eat muh shorts. :clint

My personal recommendation is steer wide and clear from these clowns.

Room correction is meant for a static position... When he gets up on stage for his 8 minute set changeover is he running around with a reference mic quickly getting 50 captures of the surroundings to make sure its all dialled in.

I mean I guess if the F R F R speakers were in a fixed position at home then running correction could help knock out some bad reflections... Just seems like a big brain solution that would need constant recalibrating if you ever moved the F R F R setup... as @texhex says, just turn it up and tweak the EQ for 30 seconds :rofl

Is anyone seriously considering this for anything other than home studio monitors? Obviously it won’t work for live use.

DSP correction is not analogous to the old exciter stuff…it’s not a replacement for good hardware, room treatment, placement. But it’s still quite valuable.

Ive been so tempted to give Sonarworks a go for mixing in my untreated music room. Something about spending the $300 to do a twenty minute room scan once, which may or may not end up helping me get better end results, feels like a dice roll. Then again I’ve wasted far more than $300 before in the gear game. :idk

Ive been so tempted to give Sonarworks a go for mixing in my untreated music room. Something about spending the $300 to do a twenty minute room scan once, which may or may not end up helping me get better end results, feels like a dice roll. Then again I’ve wasted far more than $300 before in the gear game. :idk
You can buy a reference mic for pretty cheap and DIY the process through REW to build a corrective profile (there’s YouTube vids on how to do it). Sonar is a much slicker approach but if you just want to dip your toes it’s a good way to give it a try. People do hifi calibrations through REW and this process so it’s widely used by people for this stuff.

Reactions: Elf
Is anyone seriously considering this for anything other than home studio monitors? Obviously it won’t work for live use.

DSP correction is not analogous to the old exciter stuff…it’s not a replacement for good hardware, room treatment, placement. But it’s still quite valuable.
I was joking about live usage but still seems like a weird thing to do for a "FRFR" setup. Maybe it’s just me but if I was dialling in a tone for a "FRFR" setup you just listen to how it’s all sounding and tweak to taste, take the rig into account. Chucking room correction on there seems like another piece in the pipeline to balance/offset with your tone dialing. If you’re tweaking by ear you’d probably reach similar results with or without the calibration so why have it in there as another factor to consider… Also the room correction will do some pretty heavy eq moves so your patches would sound wildly different room to room with correction. I’d bet without correction your tones would probably translate rook to room better.

I’m not trying to hate on people’s fun but it just seems like overkill and it’s not like it’s some secret weapon to magically make a rig sound better

Its generally well accepted that mixing on a flat system is better than mixing on a system with an uneven frequency response. And while DSP correction can’t solve all the issues with a home studio setup, it can certainly help quite a bit. Of course no amount of eq is going to fix huge nulls in the bass or highly reflective surfaces causing long decays. But it can help a lot in the EQ side.

Now I wouldn’t worry about room correction for anything else. Not useful for PA speakers or live sound monitors or anything like that. That would be like dragging around bass traps to shows to try and treat the room. Makes no sense.

Reminds me of the Boss GT-8 days and the "Harmonic Converger".
The mysterious magic box that everyone had to have because... umm .. it was the "in" thing ? to make your modeler pedal sound better ?

Back