Hmmm?

Stone

Rock Star
So reading this from the FAS Forum some guy says using the IK Arc hardware box improved his toanz for his QSC powered cabs

"I run my fractal into the box and then the box into my QSC. Turn on the correction and it was night and day"

Pondering Season 9 GIF by The Office
Interested Season 10 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

When anyone says "it's night and day", my suspicion meter goes through the roof. To me it's usually a sign that the user was doing something wrong if it's that drastic.

Side Eye Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

For me the only situation where correction can be drastic is with some headphones like my Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros, which have excessive highs. With studio monitors etc, it's usually more subtle at best, reducing a bad room mode for example.

You can also do room correction using the IR Player block in the Axe-Fx 3. It's just harder to get IRs for it. I used the Sonarworks Reference ID plugin to make IRs of its correction and when loaded into the Axe-Fx 3 they work like in the Sonarworks app, just without the constant crashing that POS app has...

When anyone says "it's night and day", my suspicion meter goes through the roof
Yeah same here, just the principal is sound and it might improve the sound of powered cabs in the room
just curious

Night is very different from day but some like to drink after sunset while others like a shot of vodka in the morning. That said room correction and especially room treatment makes a HUGE difference in sound and for the better.
Also without acoustic treatment room correction will only work in one spot ( and of course acoustic treatment kinda defeats the purpose of room correction ) ! So that's not really usable if you play standing up ...
:grin :grin

Last edited:
I’m very intrigued and will likely pick one up. Yes acoustic treatment is a great idea but combined with room correction you should be able to get amazing results. What I really like is that it’s a hardware device with low latency so you can do things like run modelers into it, plus it only impacts the monitors unlike Sonarworks which would also impact headphones. And $300 for the unit plus mic is a bargain imo.

Room correction makes (some) sense with studio monitors because:

- the speakers don’t move position in the room (or to different rooms)
- the listener doesn’t move position
- the room is likely a studio with some amount of room treatment
- the speakers and listening position are already optimised to be in the best position in the room

Those are pretty crap compromises to make for a guitar speaker, and any kind of EQ is just going to make it perform worse in anywhere other than the position it was measured in.

I've been using for a few years sonarworks room correction when playing and dialing in presets thru monitors and it definitely makes a difference, it makes it easier to dial in tones that will translate better on different speakers (especially true about the low end and the IR choice and filtering).

This box is definitely on my radar cuz it would simplify my setup, reduce latency and avoid me to run a vst host each time I want room correction applied to my guitar tones.

Room correction makes (some) sense with studio monitors because:

- the speakers don’t move position in the room (or to different rooms)
- the listener doesn’t move position
- the room is likely a studio with some amount of room treatment
- the speakers and listening position are already optimised to be in the best position in the room

Those are pretty crap compromises to make for a guitar speaker, and any kind of EQ is just going to make it perform worse in anywhere other than the position it was measured in.
In my case my PowerCabs don't move and when I'm playing /practicing/recording I'm always in the same position
so it might be good in my case and not so good for others
Although I'm not sure how many would use this with their Modeler's and Powered cabs/speakers, but it does sound as it could be an improvement

:idk

In my case my PowerCabs don't move and when I'm playing /practicing/recording I'm always in the same position
Although I'm not sure how many would use this with their Modeler's and Powered cabs/speakers, but it does sound as it could be an improvement

It's not really doing anything that using your FM9 global EQ won't do well enough. IR correction just allows for more granularity but overall EQ works well enough for the major issues.

So what you could do is figure out what correction you need with a reference mic + Room EQ Wizard and translate that to global EQ curves.

You could spend half the cost of an ARC system on room treatment, or even just moving the speaker a bit in the room and get better results/less cancellation. Whether any of it is an improvement is just down to personal preference as there would be a lot of weak points you’re wrestling with in that situation. Room correction eq should be the final icing on the cake rather than first port of call

I like this device. I may invest in one. I know my room is not anywhere close to optimal. I have just learned to work in it. I also use a lot of reference devices to play mixes on to make sure they sound like I want them to. I always use a reference track so I can hear what that sounds like in the room and work in that direction.

Yeah same here, just the principal is sound and it might improve the sound of powered cabs in the room
just curious
If your room is still as alive as the last pics I saw (hardwood floor, pretty bare walls, a thick door mat as about the only floor covering) you need to deal with that situation waaaaaaay before you start trying to add any correction into the mix.

Back