Hey everyone! Ed Sheeran made a Headrush looper pedal! …hello?

I’ll take a crack at it!

Old is when a person starts disliking things that came after their generation, for no other reason. Nostalgia is a primary symptom of “old.”

It’s a mental state more than a chronological condition. ;)

(Edit: I should clarify, I’m not directing this at anyone in this thread. It’s the way I view “old” and refuse to ever let myself fall into that trap! I want to keep living my life feeling and partaking in new things just as I did when I was younger.)
I saw your edit and I agree with you. I can respect that !:beer

And with the dearth of live music gigs and opportunities ever increasing why is no one
busting Ed's balls for not hiring musicians, giving them a decent wage, so they can
have some job security, support themselves, and maybe even raise a family.

:hmm

:LOL:

Why are the guys of Metallica so greedy and keep it all for the 4 of them instead of hiring a full size choire, a big band and a symphony orchestra? I mean, those folks want some food on their tables, too, no?

breaking news GIF

"New at 11!!! Person has opinions, while other person's have other opinions."

News What GIF

:rofl

I'm just coming off as crusty because guys like Ed took most all my band's gigs the past
decade or so.And an whole bunch of other band's gigs.
:brick

They cost less to book. They are quiet and people can talk over them. And they cost
less to book. And they'll play for the Dinner crowd from 6 to 9. And they cost less to
book, and people can talk over them while they play.

Did I mention that they cost less to book than an whole band, and people can talk
over them???? :idk

Hence, my back to the Cafes and Coffeeshops you band-stealing heartthrobs. :LOL:
i agree...also remeber when you hear any famous person so called back story many times its all bs to garner some kind of wow from people...in hollywood where i worked it was 90+% of famous actors that had not olny fake names but fake backstories. Makes them sound like they overcame more to get famous when i reality so many are connected in certain families and even now young ones are lined up to move into positions..The whole//brad pitt discovered on a potato chip comercial is bs...jason stranton(wrong spelling) the action movie guy was touted as living on the street and in his car before being discovered..yea right..lol.... anyhow my point is there are alot of bs backstories to inflate worship and hardship to make them more appealing mentally to the common guy.

i agree...also remeber when you hear any famous person so called back story many times its all bs to garner some kind of wow from people...in hollywood where i worked it was 90+% of famous actors that had not olny fake names but fake backstories. Makes them sound like they overcame more to get famous when i reality so many are connected in certain families and even now young ones are lined up to move into positions..The whole//brad pitt discovered on a potato chip comercial is bs...jason stranton(wrong spelling) the action movie guy was touted as living on the street and in his car before being discovered..yea right..lol.... anyhow my point is there are alot of bs backstories to inflate worship and hardship to make them more appealing mentally to the common guy.
There's definitely some truth to that, 100%. But in ol' Ed's case, he really did come up on his own, and hustled his ass off to get his name out there. There are numerous old videos of him scattered about the internet from his early years, playing shows in all sorts of random places to tiny crowds. For example, here he is holding down a housewarming party, in exchange for train fare :LOL:

Nice to see you back and contributing, @SwirlyMaple . Always enjoy your perspectives
and humour. You were missed. :beer
Aw, thanks! :beer Would sure be nice if we all lived close enough that these beers didn't have to be virtual. I think it would be endless laughter if we all could meet up somehow. I always enjoy your perspectives and humor too! And even your opinions, whether I agree or not! ;)

I'm just coming off as crusty because guys like Ed took most all my band's gigs the past
decade or so.And an whole bunch of other band's gigs.
:brick

They cost less to book. They are quiet and people can talk over them. And they cost
less to book. And they'll play for the Dinner crowd from 6 to 9. And they cost less to
book, and people can talk over them while they play.

Did I mention that they cost less to book than an whole band, and people can talk
over them???? :idk

Hence, my back to the Cafes and Coffeeshops you band-stealing heartthrobs. :LOL:
I would tend to agree, in theory, and put things like DAW's taking business from recording studios cuz they cost less, and overseas-built guitars taking jobs from the country-of-origin and the invention of CNC machines doing the same thing, because they cost less, and apps you can download for free on your phone, and tab sites on the internet, both killing jobs that musicians/musician-types used to do, because it costs less than buying whatever tool that app replaced, or that magazine that had to pay someone to transcribe that song, etc., etc., etc.

But it's an unfortunate-for-some, side-effect of technological progress. And a benefit for others.

Do I like it? Not all of it. But what are ya gonna do?

Edit: But the part of it all that I really hate, is that many of those lost jobs used to employ someone, and give them enough income to buy a home before they were 30. That ain't happening any more, generally speaking.

I would tend to agree, in theory, and put things like DAW's taking business from recording studios cuz they cost less, and overseas-built guitars taking jobs from the country-of-origin and the invention of CNC machines doing the same thing, because they cost less, and apps you can download for free on your phone, and tab sites on the internet, both killing jobs that musicians/musician-types used to do, because it costs less than buying whatever tool that app replaced, or that magazine that had to pay someone to transcribe that song, etc., etc., etc.

But it's an unfortunate-for-some, side-effect of technological progress. And a benefit for others.

Do I like it? Not all of it. But what are ya gonna do?

Edit: But the part of it all that I really hate, is that many of those lost jobs used to employ someone, and give them enough income to buy a home before they were 30. That ain't happening any more, generally speaking.
Well said. I don't like it either, but it's like trying to stop the automobile from taking over the horse and buggy. Progress won't stop, and sadly people will always get churned in its wake. We're all vulnerable to it in various ways, regardless of profession.

AI is really going to bring this to the forefront, for a lot more than musicians, sadly. But again, there's no putting the cat back in the bag. I'm not sure what the future will look like, but I think the economy will have to adapt in some way for the excess people and lack of need for those people to do the jobs of the past. I guess all we can do is hang on, try to enjoy the ride, and hope for the best. (And be good/caring/compassionate to each other. That's the glue that helps keep everyone going, regardless of circumstance!) :beer

I guess all we can do is hang on, try to enjoy the ride, and hope for the best.

Well, regarding AI and the consequences, I can only say I'm pretty happy having enjoyed the better part of my life without it.
And fwiw, I'm absolutely open to new technology (in fact, I usually love it), but I think AI is only good to widen the gap between the poor and the rich - and to make it an even more perverted thing, it could be absolutely the other way around. But that won't happen.

It's at least sort of comparable to the music (recording) industry. When digitalization came along, it defenitely had a huge potential to democratize things. And at least partially, it did in fact happen. Everybody was able to produce his/her music and distribute it.
But look where we are now. Only the biggest of the bigger fish survived and those biggest fish are becoming even more filthy rich than before (Taylor Swift anyone? And no, I don't have anything against her as a person/musician).

Same thing will happen with AI, it'll just be worse. As an example, nobody will be hired anymore to do music for ads but the company doing the ads will earn even more. Same with graphics (we're pretty much there already). Will be the same with movies (we're partially there already, too).

Still, all not necessarily bad in itself. But it'll be the same people making the biggest profits. And that's no good for the majority of humans.

I’ll take a crack at it!

Old is when a person starts disliking things that came after their generation, for no other reason. Nostalgia is a primary symptom of “old.”

It’s a mental state more than a chronological condition. ;)

(Edit: I should clarify, I’m not directing this at anyone in this thread. It’s the way I view “old” and refuse to ever let myself fall into that trap! I want to keep living my life feeling and partaking in new things just as I did when I was younger.)
Fuck me, I was old at about 14 then.

When probably fits with what a mutual female friend said to me and my best mate at about 16: "You two are just a pair of bitter, twisted old men".

We thought it was a compliment.

I ordered one. I've long been waiting for an improved version of the Looperboard, and this appears to be it. I've used iOS looping apps and other setups controlled by my Helix using MIDI, but it always feels hacky vs. a nicely designed, dedicated piece of hardware. Also, even though those iOS looping apps are packed with features, they have occasional glitches for no apparent reason, and things tend to break when Apple updates iOS.

As for Ed Sheeran, he is supremely talented, and is a completely self-made artist from a small town. He left home as a teen and was playing free shows 5+ days a week for years in pubs, housewarming parties, and anywhere else he could before he got his break.

Anyone who respects the grind and struggle that it takes to be an artist should respect this guy--don't judge him by Shape of You and his numerous overplayed radio hits. Those songs are the least like the rest of his work, but every bigtime artist needs to write the bubblegum hits to support the rest of their craft. (He's written a lot of hits for other artists, too.)

He's a great singer, a great guitarist, and is one of the only artists you'll see nowadays who does absolutely everything live, with no pre-recorded tracks, no backing vocals, and no pitch correction. His consistency as a performer is something else. He almost never makes mistakes, and when a person is doing complicated looping on stage in front of stadiums, even the littlest errors are glaring.

Seriously, give him a chance if you haven't. I saw him last September and I'm not ashamed to say it was the best concert I have ever seen. He had the entire 49ers stadium enraptured for two and a half hours: just one man, a guitar, and a looper. It broke the stadium attendance record, including the Super Bowl. Remember, every generation will have talented artists. Don't let the years as we age make us too cool for school.

Here's a few examples of his musical and performance abilities. His music might not be your thing, but his musicianship is undeniable.

Just now was the first time I've ever heard his music that I know of. Godddddamn. I think it's something I'd rather experience live than on a recording, but I'd watch that dude play for hours. That's fucking badass.

Back