Hey everyone! Ed Sheeran made a Headrush looper pedal! …hello?

If someone would show me how to use a DAW to work with a midi controller the way a looper pedal works I'd use it instead but using a mouse or trackpad inside a DAW trying get tracks selected, vst's assigned, change to line inputs sometimes, get them armed to record, playback the loop/track as soon as the recording stops, and/or change to a new track with all those same steps set up....etc. etc...

basically, spontaneous creation is completely fucked by the DAW process for me and a looper pedal is the closest I've come to unfucking it
So...... a midi foot controller... shit.. even a Helix... plus Ableton Live, or Bitwig Studio..... and you're basically only a few midi learn assignments away from having a viable looping rig - assuming your audio interface can give you low latency and all that jazz.

There's also a looping app called Mobius, but I think it is a bit too advanced and not n00b friendly. I'd recommend Ableton Live way before that thing.

So...... a midi foot controller... shit.. even a Helix... plus Ableton Live, or Bitwig Studio..... and you're basically only a few midi learn assignments away from having a viable looping rig - assuming your audio interface can give you low latency and all that jazz.

There's also a looping app called Mobius, but I think it is a bit too advanced and not n00b friendly. I'd recommend Ableton Live way before that thing.
I will look into Ableton Live again. I let it overwhelm me awhile back and I gave up but I think I know better now what I’m trying to do and have a better understanding of DAW fundamentals too.

I used to be able to look at one guy on stage tap-dancing and plucking his way
through various parts of a song for 30 seconds. Currently, that is down to about
13 seconds. :popcorn

The world does not need more solo singer-songwriter types being encouraged
to not have a band. Period. :facepalm

Go back to your Cafes and Coffeeshops you sappy fucks!! :hmm

:rofl
He did get some (well; probably 1) points for that (I think still unreleased?) Cradle of Filth collab :unsure:

He did get some (well; probably 1) points for that (I think still unreleased?) Cradle of Filth collab :unsure:

I still think Ed is the primary singer/songwriter in Sleep Token.

Uh Huh Yes GIF by Dark Igloo

As a writing tool, loopers have always been extremely useful for me. It lets me quickly write parts that I eventually send around to the band and tell them to either learn or expand upon.

In the past I wrote one of our best songs exclusively by using loop slots in Ableton Live.

I agree. I was speaking more on the performance aspect of one guy. Really doesn't
matter if it is Ed, or Steve, or Jedidiah. :idk

Not discounting the useful of loopers as creative tools. I love mine, and use them
virtually every day I play/make music. :love

through various parts of a song for 30 seconds. Currently, that is down to about

Someone at the open mic peed in your cheerios?

Its gotta be better and more credible that the Keanu Reeves Fender Bass !?!?!?

NGL, if the thing's real... that's a simple, sexy looking bass.

Screenshot 2024-03-10 031204.png

And i'd much rather see Keanu Reeves endorsed, who's not only awesome but a real musician putting out albums and touring, than the latest YouTuber du jour.

Last edited:

Wow, for the guy that posted the drivel below, you've now turned into a real fuckhead. I'm in a 5 piece band and do live looping on the side because I enjoy being a musician and make decent fun money doing it. But thanks for the encouragement, hope you find your joy, dipshit.

Just a friendly reminder. Maybe to myself as much as anyone. :LOL:

We can experience joy without that new piece of gear. We don't need to have the
latest and greatest. We don't need to go toe-to-toe with others and keep up with
the Joneses. This is not a race.

What if we can experience joy without meeting other people's expectations of what
we should do, or must play, or have to own. The people with the most shoulds are
often the unhappiest of all anyways. They spread the misery by making us think that
their own adopted catalog of "shoulds" is somehow universally mandated and ALL people
should be like them. :wat

I just hope you find your joy---whatever it is, wherever it is..... and when you do, don't
let anyone talk you out of it. :beer

I love that! :beer

Yeah, the guy sells out stadiums multiple nights with basically nothing but his acoustic guitar and a looper pedal + his own songs and voice. Nothing but respect from me.
I don't think I've ever seen him perform before watching the looper promo and I was impressed. I could never pull that shit off. If that's how he performs live I would enjoy that. Now to go back to my cave and worship satan with the goats.

Wow, for the guy that posted the drivel below, you've now turned into a real fuckhead. I'm in a 5 piece band and do live looping on the side because I enjoy being a musician and make decent fun money doing it. But thanks for the encouragement, hope you find your joy, dipshit.
"Looper" rhymes with "Pooper".

:unsure:

I ordered one. I've long been waiting for an improved version of the Looperboard, and this appears to be it. I've used iOS looping apps and other setups controlled by my Helix using MIDI, but it always feels hacky vs. a nicely designed, dedicated piece of hardware. Also, even though those iOS looping apps are packed with features, they have occasional glitches for no apparent reason, and things tend to break when Apple updates iOS.

As for Ed Sheeran, he is supremely talented, and is a completely self-made artist from a small town. He left home as a teen and was playing free shows 5+ days a week for years in pubs, housewarming parties, and anywhere else he could before he got his break.

Anyone who respects the grind and struggle that it takes to be an artist should respect this guy--don't judge him by Shape of You and his numerous overplayed radio hits. Those songs are the least like the rest of his work, but every bigtime artist needs to write the bubblegum hits to support the rest of their craft. (He's written a lot of hits for other artists, too.)

He's a great singer, a great guitarist, and is one of the only artists you'll see nowadays who does absolutely everything live, with no pre-recorded tracks, no backing vocals, and no pitch correction. His consistency as a performer is something else. He almost never makes mistakes, and when a person is doing complicated looping on stage in front of stadiums, even the littlest errors are glaring.

Seriously, give him a chance if you haven't. I saw him last September and I'm not ashamed to say it was the best concert I have ever seen. He had the entire 49ers stadium enraptured for two and a half hours: just one man, a guitar, and a looper. It broke the stadium attendance record, including the Super Bowl. Remember, every generation will have talented artists. Don't let the years as we age make us too cool for school.

Here's a few examples of his musical and performance abilities. His music might not be your thing, but his musicianship is undeniable.

Here's a few examples of his musical and performance abilities. His music might not be your thing, but his musicianship is undeniable.

+1. My original "love to make fun of" comment was of course tongue-in-cheek; i don't really enjoy his music... but he is putting out real music, and the guy is insanely talented. I have nothing but respect for that.

I never really gave him much thought other than I saw him as a pop star who is really good at looping live and that is his jam.

I watched the Bloodstream video linked above and it is true he is really good at writing and performing and controlling the tech. I also think that same performance would be much better if it was an 8 piece band of equally talented players and singers. it would have flow and soul that is constrained by the tech, even when controlled by a master like Ed the tech has a strangle hold on what I hear, on the potential, in that song and arrangement.

Back