Here comes Kemper. Bye Felicias

The Kemper is fine. Zero desire to revisit. Still. :idk

I think they could just stand to BOSS GX-100-ize the Kemper platform: Basic color touch screen with 5 footswitches/slots with their mobile app for extra flexibility (and don't nerf the effects with "a selection" of the larger Kemper units amazing reverbs/delays.)

Call it the Stage 2.0 if you have to, but that's the "just right" unit missing from their current portfolio.

Reactions: JT
I think they could just stand to BOSS GX-100-ize the Kemper platform: Basic color touch screen with 5 footswitches/slots with their mobile app for extra flexibility (and don't nerf the effects with "a selection" of the larger Kemper units amazing reverbs/delays.)

Call it the Stage 2.0 if you have to, but that's the "just right" unit missing from their current portfolio.
Yeah I am basically out at this point. Touchscreen would be nice for people who use it still but I am out of that loop for the forseeable future.

Yeah I am basically out at this point. Touchscreen would be nice for people who use it still but I am out of that loop for the forseeable future.

I get it. Even if that existed, I'd probably not leave FM9 for it. We're talking a lateral move at best.

Could be a cool backup option, tho. If I were just getting started, tho, and I had a choice between the hypothetical unit I described and a Quad Cortex....I'd go with the Kemper option all day.

• 100%
Reactions: JT
I get it. Even if that existed, I'd probably not leave FM9 for it. We're talking a lateral move at best.

Could be a cool backup option, tho. If I were just getting started, tho, and I had a choice between the hypothetical unit I described and a Quad Cortex....I'd go with the Kemper option all day.
I always loved the FX as much as anything else actually. Different vibe than the state of the art space age vibe of FAS stuff but still dig it \m/

not going to click some cryptic tracking link
giphy-3842790814.gif

Bedtime story:
- Not 100% happy with my sound at a gig playing kpa.
- Started the old “compare my analog stuff” A/B…bring in the boutique overdrives/preamps..yadyda etc.
- Got a much better sound than my KPA presets..f@#€€#!!!…..nothing beats analog!
- Had a cup of coffee
- Took 10 min to direct profile the sounds of the analog rig I set up
- Could not tell the difference between profile / real.
- Boy has 5 new sounds in a performance he’s gonna use in the foreseeable future.

Null tests and proofs of accuracy are relevant if you are about to make purchase decisions…cause they are quantifiable, and user experiences are not…unless you really trust the person.
For me as a user..,kemper profiling will be good no matter how old it is, no matter what the competition does, no matter measurements…cause I verified that I can’t tell profile from real..what more could I wish for?

Would I buy again? Probably, cause it’s still the only one out there with profiling and mature HQ efx in one box. I’d rather use a platform that also offers a full speced small unit also…unfortunately they choked the efx on the player…that does release thoughts of other brands.
I would consider QC also, great size, modeling and capturing in one…but atm I am not confident the delays in there meet my needs…so for now I’ll probably stick to the green dinosaur;)

Bedtime story:
- Not 100% happy with my sound at a gig playing kpa.
- Started the old “compare my analog stuff” A/B…bring in the boutique overdrives/preamps..yadyda etc.
- Got a much better sound than my KPA presets..f@#€€#!!!…..nothing beats analog!
- Had a cup of coffee
- Took 10 min to direct profile the sounds of the analog rig I set up
- Could not tell the difference between profile / real.
- Boy has 5 new sounds in a performance he’s gonna use in the foreseeable future.

Null tests and proofs of accuracy are relevant if you are about to make purchase decisions…cause they are quantifiable, and user experiences are not…unless you really trust the person.
For me as a user..,kemper profiling will be good no matter how old it is, no matter what the competition does, no matter measurements…cause I verified that I can’t tell profile from real..what more could I wish for?

Would I buy again? Probably, cause it’s still the only one out there with profiling and mature HQ efx in one box. I’d rather use a platform that also offers a full speced small unit also…unfortunately they choked the efx on the player…that does release thoughts of other brands.
I would consider QC also, great size, modeling and capturing in one…but atm I am not confident the delays in there meet my needs…so for now I’ll probably stick to the green dinosaur;)

It is frustrating that they got a cool mini form factor, but with nerfed effects, and the QC has a an even better, even more powerful form factor.....with mid effects.

Not to be confused with the even more affordable Tonex....with largely non-existent effects!

It is frustrating that they got a cool mini form factor, but with nerfed effects, and the QC has a an even better, even more powerful form factor.....with mid effects.

Not to be confused with the even more affordable Tonex....with largely non-existent effects!
Yeah... I´ve got that same feeling. All of them with deal-breaker features (at least for me). If I could combine the best from each unit, I´d pay the flagship price. Otherwise, I always keep on returning to my setup based on analog pre effects (wah, compressor and OD), with post digital ones (Zoom G1X Four... honestly, those effects are great and you also get volume pedal, tuner and a fantastic noise gate, so don´t see the need for spending more), all commanded by a looper-switcher (G-Lab GSC2) that also changes amp channel.

If I need to travel, or don´t want to carry my amp to rehearse, a simple GE250 runs profiles of my amp and it´s good enough.

Are you happy with the G-Lab? Seems to check a lot of boxes for me at a very affordable price (in case you can still get one...).
Yes, I´m really happy. It has MIDI (completely configurable), amp channel switches, and it´s very safe in terms of footswitch distance and alternate position of them, so it´s fairly complicated to stomp in the wrong place. It also has six 9V sockets to feed pedals (I have no power supplies, just the power cable of the GSC), and selectable buffer.

Cons:

1 - It doesn´t have expression input.

2 - Programming of the MIDI #CC is not intuitive, even reading the manual it´s hard to figure it out. I just use the #CC for changing banks on the Zoom (CC32), so once I´ve programmed it, I don´t need to touch it anymore.

3 - Leds don´t show which button is the active preset. Not a real problem because the Zoom shows the preset in a much better way. God, the 80€ Zoom does it all... ;)

Bearing in mind that I found it used for 115€, it was kind of a no brainer.

3 - Leds don´t show which button is the active preset.

Uh, now that's pretty bad - so there is no patch indication coming from the device at all?
That'd be too bad, because otherwise it might be the perfect choice for me - mainly because of MIDI and 10 presets available all straight under your feet without any bank changes. Right now I have 6 but always wished for 8, with 10 being even better.

And fwiw, I absolutely agree, for live, the Zoom FX are absolutely sufficient.

Uh, now that's pretty bad - so there is no patch indication coming from the device at all?
That'd be too bad, because otherwise it might be the perfect choice for me - mainly because of MIDI and 10 presets available all straight under your feet without any bank changes. Right now I have 6 but always wished for 8, with 10 being even better.

And fwiw, I absolutely agree, for live, the Zoom FX are absolutely sufficient.
There is a segment display indicating the preset... but you know, it´s that kind of "P08"... in the Boss ME-90 style, which I don´t find very useful. I much prefer reading in the Zoom display the typical "LEAD" thing.

;)

but you know, it´s that kind of "P08"

That's fine for me. Or rather: I'm used to this kinda display from my Mooer PL6 already. Can you read it well on stages? Looks rather small on the pictures available...
Oh, and if you don't mind (and sorry for the OT stuff): Does it switch gapless and without pops?
Seriously, apart from the display, this could just be the ticket for me and my future board plans as it's adding the very things I seem to need, namely small bits of MIDI (to switch HX Stomp blocks via CC within a given patch, which seems to be possible) and more patches in one bank (I will never ever switch banks again live).

Can you read it well on stages?
Well, I usually don´t look at it... but I think it can be well read, yes. When I come home I´ll turn it on and will check it. I would have liked more to have a led lit on the last footswitch pressed, because I find it useful and visual for knowing my preset without reading the Zoom screen. But they are all lit all the time.

Oh, and if you don't mind (and sorry for the OT stuff): Does it switch gapless and without pops?
C´mon, mate... no problem at all.

:)

I think it´s gapless, yes. I haven´t found problems with that. Don´t find pops issues either. Is the PL6 wrong with that?

I will never ever switch banks again live
I can perfectly understand you...

Just to once again point out the obvious regardless which hardor software, the input section remains the same.
So no Hiwatt will feel as different as a JMP irl

Well, I usually don´t look at it... but I think it can be well read, yes. When I come home I´ll turn it on and will check it.

Cool.

I would have liked more to have a led lit on the last footswitch pressed, because I find it useful and visual for knowing my preset without reading the Zoom screen.

Defenitely. The Mooer is almost every bit as stupid, the LEDs above the switches indicate the loops' status. The only time I really need to know which loop is on/off is in manual mode or when programming the unit, for programmed mode, let me see my selected patch as nicely as possible.

I think it´s gapless, yes. I haven´t found problems with that. Don´t find pops issues either. Is the PL6 wrong with that?

Not really, but depending on what you switch, there might be minor pops (fortunately not with my current setup).

unfortunately they choked the efx on the player
I would’ve paid full-size Kemper price for a seriously spec’d small unit. That said, ten years ago my green box earned its price back in the first couple days, and eventually many, many times over — all before the delay, drive and fuzz fw rebuilds were even implemented. So I’m guessing the Player is gig and record-worthy, even if for many of us it does seem, on paper, like a technical rewind. Anyway I thought the current effects are eventually coming And the player is the coolest looking or only cool looking mini unit.

for now I’ll probably stick to the green dinosaur

Kemper is obviously a special amp. It’s true, a nice vintage five watt Valco with a “vintage” L6 M pedal can still slay for most any jazz or light blues or pop gig and any recording, tone-wise, if one is able to squirm out of the overpowered mindset .. But yes Kemper is a great reliable and even inspiring way to make music. Since I have mostly left well enough alone for a decade (only occasionally sticking holy grail pedals in front or in the loop and still with my same old tube amps, and only flirting with a dozen or so amp plugins), it pleases me to read that you — someone who has done a ton of experimenting since you first got your Kemper, what eight years ago?, has still not found a compelling alternative to best what you’ve already got going. :)

Back