Helix Talk

Alex Kenivel

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
Now that the nail-biting has settled down after this past update, I thought I'd start a general HX thread. I've been all-in with HX tech since 2016 and haven't had many reasons to use anything else besides different playback systems and creating IRs.

I have a Stomp-based mini-board that gets most of my time and a Helix Floor in the closet that I bust out when I have the space for it - I've been contemplating trading it out for a Rack/Control but I see no reason to at the moment - not gigging anymore at this moment and the Stomp/Native in my Mac fills my needs at home until I want to start hooking up and routing for multiple amps and playback systems - I like to wear my mad-scientist coat sometimes.

A while back I started a very basic tutorial series covering the basics of using a Helix:

and onto some more complicated things like tone matching:

And taking things apart:

My favorite amps by far are the Essex A30, Placater Dirty and the Badonk but I flirt with others sometimes, WhoWatt, Derailed Ingrid...

Where my HX brethren at?

My go to amp was the PV Panama replaced recently by the Vitriol which has less noise with the same amount of gain, now I am fully content with the high gain options we have and would like to see more 80s, 90s Marshalls.

I would love to see more frequent updates with more singular content like pedals, effects, cabs, amps, etc. that includes bugs fixes for models and features, and roll a 'cumulative' update every 6 months with all the previous singular updates and fixes.
It's a totally different approach, might be worth it.

I would love to see more frequent updates with more singular content like pedals, effects, cabs, amps, etc. that includes bugs fixes for models and features, and roll a 'cumulative' update every 6 months with all the previous singular updates and fixes.
We would too. If Helix Floor was the only SKU we had to support and weren't working on a billion other things, updates would be a lot more frequent.

My go to amp was the PV Panama replaced recently by the Vitriol which has less noise with the same amount of gain, now I am fully content with the high gain options we have and would like to see more 80s, 90s Marshalls.

I finally got a chance to update over the weekend, but my playing time was focused on getting ready for a gig and I didn’t have the time I expected to explore the new FW stuff. I checked the sunn briefly because I thought it might be a good answer for the gig, it wasn’t quite what I needed.

I completely forgot to scroll over to the vitriol! I’ve always thought the Panama model flew under the radar as one of the best high gain models in there. You replacing it with the vitriol has me pumped to check that one out.
D

Don't have any go to amps per say, Ill use whatever is appropriate tone wise to cover what ever song im doing, what i do know is there is a lot of great options in my Helix :stirthepot
you know sometimes its not always the ingredients a lot of times its the Chef :grin

Last edited:
Helix Native/HX Edit 3.51 Release Notes
Helix Native and HX Edit 3.51 (released November 29, 2022) include bug fixes and additional improvements, and are strongly recommended for all users. This update applies only to Helix Native and HX Edit software; there is currently no 3.51 firmware planned for Helix and HX hardware. (You’ll just have to wait until 3.60.)

Bug Fixes in 3.51
  • Modulation > FlexoVibe and 4-Voice Chorus’ Rate parameters do not display a tempo sync toggle—FIXED
  • When adjusting the new Cab > Dual block’s Delay parameter with a mouse wheel, HX Edit can crash—FIXED
  • When using an Apple Magic Mouse 2, the scroll wheel resolution (and to a lesser extent, a 2-finger scroll on the Mac’s touchpad) is much more coarse in 3.50 than in 3.15—FIXED
  • Other minor fixes and improvements

Helix Native/HX Edit 3.51 Release Notes
Helix Native and HX Edit 3.51 (released November 29, 2022) include bug fixes and additional improvements, and are strongly recommended for all users. This update applies only to Helix Native and HX Edit software; there is currently no 3.51 firmware planned for Helix and HX hardware. (You’ll just have to wait until 3.60.)

Bug Fixes in 3.51
  • Modulation > FlexoVibe and 4-Voice Chorus’ Rate parameters do not display a tempo sync toggle—FIXED
  • When adjusting the new Cab > Dual block’s Delay parameter with a mouse wheel, HX Edit can crash—FIXED
  • When using an Apple Magic Mouse 2, the scroll wheel resolution (and to a lesser extent, a 2-finger scroll on the Mac’s touchpad) is much more coarse in 3.50 than in 3.15—FIXED
  • Other minor fixes and improvements
I'm one of the poor souls had some trouble with the driver that came with 3.50 and my DAW. Just for my situational awareness, will these updates reinstall the v1.97 driver automagically?

I'm one of the poor souls had some trouble with the driver that came with 3.50 and my DAW. Just for my situational awareness, will these updates reinstall the v1.97 driver automagically?
PSA: The update includes a v1.97.0.2 driver update which does not cause any issues with my DAW, at least. Thanks Line 6 for that fix! And the others, although they weren't issues I encountered.

Any Stomp users getting wacky encoder action especially on parameters like EQ with a large sweep? When I quickly try to turn a knob to the left a bunch of times it jumps back to the right

I like a general HX thread!

Yesterday night, after I believe about 2 years, I've brought my helix floor, 2x12 with greenbacks and SD power amp into a rehearsal space and played some rock with real human beings. Can't explain how good it felt.

Anyway the Helix sounded so good I couldn't believe it and real cabs are the thing. I'm so glad I've bought this 2x12.
I don't know why on earth I've decided to buy an "FRFR" when I did it, I mean they are good but... come on. ...
I really regret selling my 4x12 now. "FRFR" are good, are versatile and all but they are not what I love to hear behind me.

I've spent the night with a Plexi Trem and Park 75 and they both delivered a great fat hard rock tone.
I use a very simple signal chain (inside articulated presets) hi pass to tame the lowend of my Gibsons, Pillars for boosting, Amp, a touch of reverb).

Bottom end: Helix into real cabs is more than awesome.

Thanks for starting this thread. Makes sense. As a Stomp user the new update has put me back in touch with my favorite amp models: Matchstick and Voltage Queen.

Got to admit, I’m so superficial I’m now considering a PodGo because the red version looks so cool.

I like a general HX thread!

Yesterday night, after I believe about 2 years, I've brought my helix floor, 2x12 with greenbacks and SD power amp into a rehearsal space and played some rock with real human beings. Can't explain how good it felt.

Anyway the Helix sounded so good I couldn't believe it and real cabs are the thing. I'm so glad I've bought this 2x12.
I don't know why on earth I've decided to buy an "FRFR" when I did it, I mean they are good but... come on. ...
I really regret selling my 4x12 now. "FRFR" are good, are versatile and all but they are not what I love to hear behind me.

I've spent the night with a Plexi Trem and Park 75 and they both delivered a great fat hard rock tone.
I use a very simple signal chain (inside articulated presets) hi pass to tame the lowend of my Gibsons, Pillars for boosting, Amp, a touch of reverb).

Bottom end: Helix into real cabs is more than awesome.
Yep.

My go-to with any of my HX units is either the Return of a backline amp into a 412 or HX/tube power into a 412.

Sounds and feels great. I do sometimes still use my PowerCab 212+ but 90% of the time it’s tube power and a cab.

Nothing I hate more than people that say “the point of a modeler is to NOT carry a cAb and power amp, it’s supposed to be run direct”.

For me the point is to have all the amps, all the time, but then actually only use one! Lol!

Yep.

My go-to with any of my HX units is either the Return of a backline amp into a 412 or HX/tube power into a 412.

Sounds and feels great. I do sometimes still use my PowerCab 212+ but 90% of the time it’s tube power and a cab.

Nothing I hate more than people that say “the point of a modeler is to NOT carry a cAb and power amp, it’s supposed to be run direct”.

For me the point is to have all the amps, all the time, but then actually only use one! Lol!

LOL I'm one amp only guy too. I rotate them just because I can but I can.
I've been using the Helix with real cabs since day 1 back in 2017 but at some point caouple of years later - out of curiosity mainly - I've bought a Powercab 212 and sold my 4x12.
Unfortunately the speaker emulation thing didn't work for me therefore I've been stuck in the "FRFR" world for a while.

Di posted this at the other place lol

Only for Helix Native and HX Edit. The next firmware will likely be 3.60, unless we pull another sneaky one and call it something dumb like 4.20.69.

No, don't start a "Helix 4.20.69" thread please.

:rofl

Yep.

Yeah the one trip to the car mindset is overrated and was a dead discussion in 2016; let alone 6 years later :hmm

Yeah the one trip to the car mindset is overrated and was a dead discussion in 2016; let alone 6 years later :hmm
I love the concept of “one trip” and yeah you can just walk in with a guitar and your modeler but you beholden to their back line or monitor system… screw that! Personally an extra trip to the car is way more worth it than having to put up with that nonsense. I use a small collapsible luggage cart. With it I can put a head and 1x12 or a monitor I like and my Helix bag. I throw my guitar in a gig bag over my shoulder and roll the cart with stuff on it behind me. Now anything bigger than a 1x12 I’ll make two trips but that’s totally worth it IMHO.

It would be very interesting if a modeler company actually told the truth and did a marketing ad with someone with their modeler in a bag on their back and a guitar over the shoulder walking away from the camera that said “When you’re just to lazy to walk back to the car, we’ve got your back.”

Last edited:
Back