Helix Talk

No, I'm saying your mate might wanna chop his arms and legs off and then try playing music, and then realise what he had was actually pretty good.

1000185666.gif

Anyone know what's up with this weird artifact that Helix does. It sounds like a filter sweep over the decay - I can often hear it in various amp models to different degrees. Drives me nuts because I don't hear it in real amps or other modellers and it makes me think something is wrong:

Helix Noise

Settings here, but its pretty easy to reproduce if you listen out for it. Guessing its aliasing artifacts?

Screenshot 2024-08-10 at 15.11.42.png

EDIT: Another clear example with the newer 2203 model:

HX Noise_2.wav

Last edited:
Anyone know what's up with this weird artifact that Helix does. It sounds like a filter sweep over the decay - I can often hear it in various amp models to different degrees. Drives me nuts because I don't hear it in real amps or other modellers and it makes me think something is wrong:

Helix Noise

Settings here, but its pretty easy to reproduce if you listen out for it. Guessing its aliasing artifacts?

View attachment 26323

HX Noise_2.wav
Confirming that it also happens when I record through the HX Stomp, as shown in the clip below. I have heard this effect a few times and at different frequencies using Helix Native and HX Stomp. In some amps, I hear it more, and in others, less. When I match the tone to that of another plugin, but this effect appears in the Helix, even though it's the same tone, it changes the feel a bit while playing. I also noticed that pedals like the 808 can slightly increase this effect. Would love to understand it more.

Helix Zzzionn

Edit: The Soldano model has a lot of that. I thought it was something related to ripple, hum, or even bias X, but it doesn't seem possible to completely remove the effect even by adjusting these parameters.

Last edited:
I'm getting this here as well with those settings. Its way down there, but now I can't unhear it and am about to paranoid scroll all my other presets

I'm getting this here as well with those settings. Its way down there, but now I can't unhear it and am about to paranoid scroll all my other presets
my apologies. some amps are more prone to it than others.

I’ve definitely had moments where I thought it might be a sample rate issue or a dodgy cable somewhere, and then I’d switch to another plugin and it’s gone.

Last edited:
Anyone else having problems with Helix Native in most current versions of Logic and mac os sonoma?

It's crashing every time I try to open it

Last edited:
Anyone else having problems with Helix Native in most current versions of Logic and mac os sonoma?

It's crashing every time I try to open it
No, working fine on latest of both. Amplitube 5, otoh, dead in the water. Won’t launch as a standalone, Logic flags it as unstable. Fresh install as of today.

Settings for Deluxe Phase to sound like a real MXR Phase 90 Script Logo;
The 'Script Mod Phase' model is so off it makes me sad.

View attachment 25751

View attachment 25690

View attachment 25692

There is a high pass filter at around 100Hz in the Deluxe Phaser model, so it doesn't throb as hard as the real Phase 90 but it's the closest I got with the Helix with the available options. 🤷🏻‍♂️

View attachment 25696

I’ve been beating this horse about the phase 90 for YEARS now. The MM-4 era stuff had a wonderful, gooey phase 90 model, and the Helix one is so sterile. Honestly - If there is any critique I have for the Helix, it’s that the modulation stuff in general just feels a little sterile and uninspiring. There’s something clinical happening that hadn’t been an issue in prior gens.

The MM4 phasers should be in the legacy fx - I’ll need to check those out again as I always forget about them.

Yeah, love most all Helix effects but I've never liked the Script Mod Phase either, and phase is one of my most-used modulations. Have always used whatever the Legacy one is instead,would that be the MM4's?

What if the expression pedal were a modular thing, where it slots in with an aluminum dovetail and connects via magnetic contacts?

EDIT: "Look upon my red herrings and despair!"

I’ll allow it as long as that modular expression allows you to connect another one to it, the pedals can be attached to either side of the hardware, and you offer two models: one long throw exp/vol and one that has the throw of a vintage wah.

D

Helix Noise

View attachment 26323

HX Noise_2.wav

Do you hear what they're saying?

Back