Helix Talk

On a slightly older topic - GigRig G3 versus Helix.

I way prefer the workflow on Helix. But I prefer the delays and reverbs from my Meris LVX and MercuryX. What is a boy to do.

I way prefer the workflow on Helix. But I prefer the delays and reverbs from my Meris LVX and MercuryX. What is a boy to do.
Like me and many others, separately do both, digital and board, for even greater option paralysis 😂👌

Have there been any hints either way about a 12 stomp mode in 3.8? As a kitchen-sink preset user I’d love to assign the looper to foot switch 6.

Have there been any hints either way about a 12 stomp mode in 3.8? As a kitchen-sink preset user I’d love to assign the looper to foot switch 6.
I can't envision a layout where every single switch is fully programmable; one should always have some way to change footswitch modes, even if they spend 98% of their time on one mode.

But 11-switch Stomp mode for those that don't use tap tempo or Helix's built in tuner? That I could possibly see.

I can't envision a layout where every single switch is fully programmable; one should always have some way to change footswitch modes, even if they spend 98% of their time on one mode.

But 11-switch Stomp mode for those that don't use tap tempo or Helix's built in tuner? That I could possibly see.
Hmm. I'd rather have tap/tuner than the mode switch, but I'm in team kitchen-sink, tbh.

Maybe make it an option which one to rather ditch?

Put each Meris in a dedicated Helix FX loop?

Settings for Deluxe Phase to sound like a real MXR Phase 90 Script Logo;
The 'Script Mod Phase' model is so off it makes me sad.

settings.png

phase 90 script logo.jpg

graph.png

There is a high pass filter at around 100Hz in the Deluxe Phaser model, so it doesn't throb as hard as the real Phase 90 but it's the closest I got with the Helix with the available options. 🤷🏻‍♂️

graph 2.png

Last edited:
Settings for Deluxe Phase to sound like a real MXR Phase 90 Script Logo;
The 'Script Mod Phase' model is so off it makes me sad.

View attachment 25693

View attachment 25690

View attachment 25692

There is a high pass filter at around 100Hz in the Deluxe Phaser model, so it doesn't throb as hard as the real Phase 90 but it's the closest I got with the Helix with the available options. 🤷🏻‍♂️

View attachment 25696
I’ve been beating this horse about the phase 90 for YEARS now. The MM-4 era stuff had a wonderful, gooey phase 90 model, and the Helix one is so sterile. Honestly - If there is any critique I have for the Helix, it’s that the modulation stuff in general just feels a little sterile and uninspiring. There’s something clinical happening that hadn’t been an issue in prior gens.

I’ve been beating this horse about the phase 90 for YEARS now. The MM-4 era stuff had a wonderful, gooey phase 90 model, and the Helix one is so sterile. Honestly - If there is any critique I have for the Helix, it’s that the modulation stuff in general just feels a little sterile and uninspiring. There’s something clinical happening that hadn’t been an issue in prior gens.
The MM4 phasers should be in the legacy fx - I’ll need to check those out again as I always forget about them.

If there is any critique I have for the Helix, it’s that the modulation stuff in general just feels a little sterile and uninspiring.
I personally don't agree with that, I can easily replicate my BF-3 and CH-1 with the Helix.
It's all in the settings, I find that the modeled stuff has way more range than the pedal so a little goes a long way, or just in general with modulation.

I personally don't agree with that, I can easily replicate my BF-3 and CH-1 with the Helix.
It's all in the settings, I find that the modeled stuff has way more range than the pedal so a little goes a long way, or just in general with modulation.
Anytime I A/B real pedals against the Helix, for nailing modulation, delay, or reverb, I find that a slight jump in volume is crucial.

Well my Helix's footswitches are finally getting troublesome, their detection has gotten a bit weak and sometimes act as if they're in momentary mode; on when depressed, off again when released.

I checked my Thomann order history, and it was bought on July 27th 2017 for €1,177! So after near daily use for 7 years it's not too surprising. Has anyone had any luck fixing this? I've heard depressing and rotating the switches can help, but it' hasn't worked for me so far.

Well my Helix's footswitches are finally getting troublesome, their detection has gotten a bit weak and sometimes act as if they're in momentary mode; on when depressed, off again when released.

I checked my Thomann order history, and it was bought on July 27th 2017 for €1,177! So after near daily use for 7 years it's not too surprising. Has anyone had any luck fixing this? I've heard depressing and rotating the switches can help, but it' hasn't worked for me so far.
Doing that while applying contact cleaner has kept it working for a few more months for me.

Dear Line 6,

Why is there a high-pass filter on the DRY signal of the Deluxe Phaser?
Not only does it make the Deluxe Phaser not suitable for bass and low register instruments but also makes it impossible to accurately replicate the industry standard Phase 90.
As an example, Strymon has analog dry-through so the dry signal is unaffected in their effects with a Mix control (modulation, delay, reverb etc.).

For all us Gilmour and Van Halen fans, please fix the Deluxe Phaser.

feels a little sterile and uninspiring. There’s something clinical happening
👆🏻

Bypass vs Deluxe Phaser - Mix 0%

deluxe phaser.png

Back